Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heifetz7

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
is this normal? Does the app store ask you to enter the password if you haven't used it in a while, instead of allowing you to use the touchid?

also an important feature request that I hope Apple addresses at some point in an update. Make it possible to enable music downloads using cellular, but turn it off for auto updates, and other things individually. Right now, you have to use one setting for everything, but I just want music to use cellular, since I have music match.

Tiptizzle

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
is this normal? Does the app store ask you to enter the password if you haven't used it in a while, instead of allowing you to use the touchid?

also an important feature request that I hope Apple addresses at some point in an update. Make it possible to enable music downloads using cellular, but turn it off for auto updates, and other things individually. Right now, you have to use one setting for everything, but I just want music to use cellular, since I have music match.

I don't think it's "normal" but I've never been able to use touch ID for any of the stores. I made a comment in the stupid questions thread, but I don't think it ever got answered.

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011

Do you use your Apple ID for any other iOS device? If you do, and any of the other devices are NOT iPhone 5s's, I think this will happen.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
you are not downloading enough in the time it takes for it to go back to ask for password

MisterPunchy

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2013
CA
I'm not sure, but I believe (based on my own experience with my 5S) that it will ask you to enter the pass code to reenable TouchID for iTunes purchases after the device has been powered off and back on again (not sleep, I mean a full power down). As long as it remains on, it should only ask for the passcode on the first attempt after a power up. After that, the fingerprint will work. Anyone else? Is this right, or is there a time limit?

northcountryboy

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2013
I'm not sure, but I believe (based on my own experience with my 5S) that it will ask you to enter the pass code to reenable TouchID for iTunes purchases after the device has been powered off and back on again (not sleep, I mean a full power down). As long as it remains on, it should only ask for the passcode on the first attempt after a power up. After that, the fingerprint will work. Anyone else? Is this right, or is there a time limit?

Thats been my experience as well. Password required the 1st time you use it, then can use TouchID, but if you then turn phone off and on, password required again on 1st use afterwards, touchID after that, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.