Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
I'm looking for something to mount my iPad in my car (Chevy Cobalt). I've seen a bunch of different mounts. The one that I keep thinking about looks like it mounts to the inside seat mounting bolt. It has a flexible arms that comes up from there. Actually, I just looked it up, that one is by Ram Mounts. This is how it connects to the floor -

RAM-B-316-1L-202U.jpg

Description:
The RAM-B-316-1L-202U consists of the RAM POD I universal No-Drill™ vehicle base, 18” rigid aluminum rod, single 1" ball socket arm, locking knob and round base adapter. The base of the mount connects to your seat rail without any drilling necessary. The 18" rigid aluminum rod can be bent to position your device to its optimum viewing location. The RAM locking knob, includes a brass 1/4"-20 thread, allowing you to disengage the screwing of the knob. Once you have set your mount in the location you need, you can lock it in place and feel safe that your mounted device will stay right where you left it. The 2.5" diameter round base adapter contains the universal AMPS hole pattern.

Installation Instructions:
At right angles to the base of the 18" long leg is a foot with a mounting hole. Simply place the hole into the passenger seat mounting bolt and adjust the mount to the required height with the rigid aluminum rod.

Then this connects to it -

RAM-HOL-TABL8U1.jpg

Priced separate it starts to get kind of expensive. It's about $125. for those two pieces.

1ipad6.jpg

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
I can't be the only one that mounts/wants to mount their iPad in the car! :)

pat park

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2011
California
I just want a simple lightweight that mounts in the AC vents. I saw a case style with a suction pad on back the case. This attached to the arm that goes into the vents. Anyone know the brand of this style?

----------

I'm looking for something to mount my iPad in my car (Chevy Cobalt). I've seen a bunch of different mounts. The one that I keep thinking about looks like it mounts to the inside seat mounting bolt. It has a flexible arms that comes up from there. Actually, I just looked it up, that one is by Ram Mounts. This is how it connects to the floor -

Description:
The RAM-B-316-1L-202U consists of the RAM POD I universal No-Drill™ vehicle base, 18” rigid aluminum rod, single 1" ball socket arm, locking knob and round base adapter. The base of the mount connects to your seat rail without any drilling necessary. The 18" rigid aluminum rod can be bent to position your device to its optimum viewing location. The RAM locking knob, includes a brass 1/4"-20 thread, allowing you to disengage the screwing of the knob. Once you have set your mount in the location you need, you can lock it in place and feel safe that your mounted device will stay right where you left it. The 2.5" diameter round base adapter contains the universal AMPS hole pattern.

Installation Instructions:
At right angles to the base of the 18" long leg is a foot with a mounting hole. Simply place the hole into the passenger seat mounting bolt and adjust the mount to the required height with the rigid aluminum rod.

Then this connects to it -

Priced separate it starts to get kind of expensive. It's about $125. for those two pieces.

That's way too much money for me. I'm willing to spend $20-$50 max. I'm cheap, :D

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I can't be the only one that mounts/wants to mount their iPad in the car!
Don't overlook prior discussions.

Also:
https://macrumors.zendesk.com/hc/en-us
Bumps. Posts that bring a thread to the top of the New Posts list but add no content to the thread (bumps) are not permitted. This applies not only to posts that say "bump" but to those with the intent to bump, e.g. posts saying "anyone?" or the equivalent. See why and how to avoid bumping.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
That's way too much money for me. I'm willing to spend $20-$50 max. I'm cheap, :D

I wouldn't mind something that is cheaper but I'd hate to hit a bump and see the iPad drop onto my dash or floor. I've seen a few suction cup mounts that look sturdy in the pics/videos. I'd like to comfortably read over and use it instead of reaching up at a weird angle that would be tiring.

Don't overlook prior discussions.

Also:
https://macrumors.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

Sorry, didn't see that.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
I went with the Ram Mount with 30" rod. Easy install and has been working good.

ipad4_zpsf5deda46.jpg

ipad2_zpsac028bbd.jpg

ipad5_zps5eb196b7.jpg

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I just want a simple lightweight that mounts in the AC vents. I saw a case style with a suction pad on back the case. This attached to the arm that goes into the vents. Anyone know the brand of this style?

----------

This is a great cd slot mount. I've tried many. The gooseneck gets in the way. It could be useful for a professional like a truck driver, bit this is useful and unobtrusive. It can be moved from car to car. I have a gooseneck that I found difficult to use with a passenger in my car.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Satechi-...item566389f997&_uhb=1&clk_rvr_id=662886245256
And it's cheap enough.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
CAn you help here. Been to their site and don't see any option for 30" rod. 18" is all I can find.

Part # on my receipt is - RAM-316-1-30-202U. I ordered from Mount Guys. I believe that is at least most of Ram Mount's part number. Don't know if they added anything as their internal part #.

So I have this and RAM-HOL-UN9U. Ram S-Grip-III Universal Clamping Cradle for iPad. Total for the two with shipping was $144.21.

Pkupman57

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2013
El Lay, CA
I got the Ram-mount no-drill mount for my truck too. Picked up the mount on craigslist, but it came with the laptop mount. Had to order my iPad mount separately. Seems to work great.

Heres my mount with the laptop mount.

and here it is now, with my iPad.

I can get better pics later. Now, Im working on finding a way to keep the iPad charged. I have USB on my deck, but it won't charge at all (will charge and accept audio from my iPhone via USB, but won't charge the iPad)... And I have a couple of USB chargers, including the one I installed in the dash myself, it shows that its charging, but i suspect its like an iPhone charger. While using the iPad for audio/Nav, it will still drain the battery, even though its showing green for charging, it just discharges much slower than if it wasn't plugged in at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.