Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rsarno

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2008
I have both 2012 MB Pro and Air. I love both machines, and use each for different purposes. I am now needing a 3rd machine for another purpose.

Honestly i need a medium!

If i HAD to buy right now, which yes i am in the market, id go with another MBP.

However, in my heart i feel like what i really want is a 15" MBA with 500gb. The space isnt mandatory as i can always dangle an external at my desk. Would be a pain, but id do it. The MBA i have has 128gb i think, and its not enough for me.

So i can probably wait at the moment, but wondering if any rumors lend themselves well to my needs? or am i SOL at the moment?

Thanks everyone.

thaifood

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
Retina MBP, 15 inch with 512gb.

Half way between a heavier classic and 13 inch air.

Flash architecture will give you the benefit of the Air speeds.

Wait until next week before purchasing anything.

Perhaps consider evaluating all your requirements for 3 separate laptops if the price puts you off. 2012 laptop still retain a fair chunk of their value if you decide in selling one.

EDIT: There will most likely not be a 15 inch air variant released at least this year, if at all.

Last edited:

NickPhamUK

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2013
Why do u need so many machines! :eek:

The most common setup I see is iMac/Mac Mini at home plus an MBP/MBA when you need to carry around. But 3 laptops is ... redundant, isn't it? :confused:

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
Definitely wait until next week. If no MBP then at least you will get some idea.

----------

The most common setup I see is iMac/Mac Mini at home plus an MBP/MBA when you need to carry around. But 3 laptops is ... redundant, isn't it? :confused:

You can never never have too many Macs :)

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011

Why not? I own a 13" MBP, a 15" MBP, Mac Mini and a G5. :)

rsarno

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2008

I have a mbp at home, a MBA but my wife really uses it. Now I'd like a mbp at work, but don't want to carry it to/from.

Mobility around the office quickly and easily would be nicer with the lightweight MBA, but I can def use the extra storage, space, and screen size of the mbp.

The retina mbp might just be a great option after next week. We shall see!

rsarno

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2008
Additionally I own apple stock, and need it to go up hahaha

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Additionally I own apple stock, and need it to go up hahaha

My point too - and it's up today.

But to your original question, not much chance of a 15" MBA. (Really, no chance).

All I'm expecting in laptops are Haswell 13 & 15 retinas.

henry72

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2009
New Zealand

Yea I agree :)

Definitely WAIT if you really need one. I think you should only have one MacBook as you don't need to manage 2 machine, this is someone that you need to think about I guess :)

rsarno

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2008
1st time i ever looked at the price tag on the 15" rMBP. Nearly fell off my chair, wtf???

Are there that many people spending $3k on a laptop these days?? Is it that much of an improvement in any way over the regular MBP? (btw i see there is only 1 model now...)

And finally, when is the event announcing the new ones, if any?

EDIT, I suppose im the one who is even more out of my mind, actually considering getting one LOL!

Last edited:

PFKMan23

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2012
You're on an Apple forum so....

In any case there's enough demand that makes Apple want to make more of them and update the line up. As far as when they might be announced, October 22 10 am pacific as a part of their event.

Xerotech

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
1st time i ever looked at the price tag on the 15" rMBP. Nearly fell off my chair, wtf???

Are there that many people spending $3k on a laptop these days?? Is it that much of an improvement in any way over the regular MBP? (btw i see there is only 1 model now...)

EDIT, I suppose im the one who is even more out of my mind, actually considering getting one LOL!

Haha, yes, people spend a lot for quality. Premium ultrabooks range in that price area also. It's a luxury to have lightweight, great battery and high performance. We all can drop money on a $400 laptop or netbook anyday. :)

If you buy used, especially on eBay you can easily save $500 off MSRP after 6-8 months when people want to switch to a newer model. I bought my rMBP base model for $2,137 and now the value has plummeted around $1.4k. You'd obviously save more on models where people have many added options. I've seen people score great deals on some laptops. Find those people who put all their money into a laptop and sell it to pay their bills.

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013

Refurb brings the prices back down to earth. The only problem is you won't be getting this type of value for a Haswell MBP at launch, you'll have to wait a bit.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.