Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
The 5c doesn't exist to become a low-cost alternative to emerging markets. It simply exists to become the midrange model for when the iPhone 5s came out (similar to the 4 when the 4s came out and the 4s when the 5 came out).

For example, when the iPhone 5 came out, the iPhone 4s became the midrange model. Were people flabbergasted if iPhone 5 sales were 2 to 1 compared to the 4s at $99? No. People expect the 5 to sell more because it is a newer phone, but people also expect the 4s to still sell because it is cheaper and people want cheap phones.

With the 5s, things became a little different. Apple didn't want the 5 to cut into 5s sales. So they replaced the aluminum 5 with the plastic 5c but it is still the same phone which is the midrange model for $99.

Why are people saying the 5c is a disaster for selling only 1/3 compared to the 5s? That is like people last year saying the 4s is a disaster because it sold 1/3 compared to the iPhone 5. Of course the newer model will sell more! The fact that Apple was able to sell even 1/3 of an older phone is genius.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
And at a higher profit margin due to plastic enclosure :)
Apple is not led by dummies.

kingalexthe1st

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2013
I wouldn't go so far as to use 'genius'. 'Shrewd' would be a better word.

Does everyone remember the quarterly results after the iPhone5 came out? Numbers were up (as they always are) but the profit margin was far less than the 4 or 4s. And of course, everyone invested in Apple panicked and sold off their shares, causing the share price to drop.

The iPhone 5 was expensive to make, and it still is. Selling it this year in the 'standard' way, of simply reducing the price, would have eaten in to profit margins even further which I'm sure investors wouldn't have enjoyed. So Apple re-house the iPhone 5 in a cheaper casing, keeping profit margins at a decent level. Simples.

Alex

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yeah, uhm, so people weren't commenting when Apple moved the iPhone 4 and 4s down the line with new iPhone introductions because Apple didn't take those iPhones and put them in a plastic case.

Apple also didn't tell you that the plastic was premium and they didn't market the 4 and 4s as new phones when they weren't.

As an iPhone 5 owner I completely expected Apple to move the iPhone 5 down the line just like the 4 and 4s. I did not expect the 5c and for my iPhone model to be discontinued.

Apple's a business and I get that. More money, more money. I just object to the marketing of the 5c as a new iPhone. It's not. It's a 5 in a plastic case. And no matter how many people say "it feels like ceramic" or that it's "premium" plastic, IMO metal is better.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
The genius ain't working. Especially with the marketing blitz apple is throwing at the 5C vs the iPhone 5S.

It's like Apple is wasting money with advertising the 5C when it selling about the same as the 4S was selling last fall 2012.

People don't mind mid range phones. They just don't want last years tech in "new" phones in the current year.

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2012
The only 'genius' here is how Apple can repackage old tech and make even higher profits off suckers Apple fanboys.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
As an iPhone 5 owner I completely expected Apple to move the iPhone 5 down the line just like the 4 and 4s. I did not expect the 5c and for my iPhone model to be discontinued.

Sounds like you're just mad just to be mad? If you're an iPhone 5 owner, how does it affect you if they brought down the 5 as a mid-range model or replaced the current 5 with the 5c? You are still stuck with your 5.

Also, they aren't marketing the 5c as a "new" model in the sense of "hey these are brand new components in a brand new phone." That "new" model would be the 5s. This is simply re-introducing the way the MacBook line was a few years back - expensive MacBook Pro (aluminum) compared to midrange MacBook (plastic).

Why can't Apple have two different phone lines? Samsung, HTC, everyone else has a billion different phones out there. Because Apple doesn't recycle their older phone as the midrange and instead bring out a new model, that is a bad thing???

The only 'genius' here is how Apple can repackage old tech and make even higher profits off suckers Apple fanboys.

As opposed to just making brand new "old tech" in cheap entry level phones like all those Android phones out there?

zedzded

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2013
Perth, Australia
The fact that Apple was able to sell even 1/3 of an older phone is genius.

No it's not genius, it's more of a reflection of how stupid Joe Public is. They introduce a 2 year old phone with a coloured plastic cover and the whole world starts p!ssing itself like an excited puppy - and that's genius? If I **** in your hands, tell you it's chocolate mousse, am I a genius because I **** in your hands and you bought it believing it to be a tasty and delicious dessert or are you just a complete idiot?

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
Sounds like you're just mad just to be mad? If you're an iPhone 5 owner, how does it affect you if they brought down the 5 as a mid-range model or replaced the current 5 with the 5c? You are still stuck with your 5.

Also, they aren't marketing the 5c as a "new" model in the sense of "hey these are brand new components in a brand new phone." That "new" model would be the 5s. This is simply re-introducing the way the MacBook line was a few years back - expensive MacBook Pro (aluminum) compared to midrange MacBook (plastic).

Why can't Apple have two different phone lines? Samsung, HTC, everyone else has a billion different phones out there. Because Apple doesn't recycle their older phone as the midrange and instead bring out a new model, that is a bad thing???

As opposed to just making brand new "old tech" in a cheap entry level phones like all those Android phones out there?

Well IMO I did have an iphone 5 only to go back to the 4s.. IMHO I just don't like the design of the 5/5s. I honestly feel like they got lazy with the design. Again it's my opinion.

That said... The 5c is mot a failure and no one honestly knows yet how it's selling compared to last years 4s. The phone is not meant for early adopters. Once people get it in there heads it'll be better. This is the type that has to run it's course.

It is essentially a iPhone 5 in a plastic casing. I prefer the design over the 5/5s. The only issue I have with both phones is no black option.

The truth is if you have a iphone 5,5c or 5s you have a great phone. The 5 and 5c is just as fast as a S4 and doesn't lag as much.

Honestly I don't understand all the Apple "fans" wanting the 5c to fail... The hate is misguided..[COLOR

Last edited:

kingalexthe1st

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2013
No it's not genius, it's more of a reflection of how stupid Joe Public is. They introduce a 2 year old phone with a coloured plastic cover and the whole world starts p!ssing itself like an excited puppy - and that's genius? If I **** in your hands, tell you it's chocolate mousse, am I a genius because I **** in your hands and you bought it believing it to be a tasty and delicious dessert or are you just a complete idiot?

This littel rant made me laugh :)

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
Honestly I don't understand all the Apple "fans" wanting the 5c to fail... The hate is misguided..

Once it becomes the norm that the plastic iPhone is the midrange $99 phone and the aluminum iPhone is the high-end $199 model, the hate will die down. The hate exists because it is a "new" Apple product and people expect it to be revolutionary.

Next year when the 6 comes out and the next 5c has repackaged 5s internals, no one will care anymore because it will be the norm. Kinda like how last year no one cares about how well the 4s sold when the 5 was released.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
Once it becomes the norm that the plastic iPhone is the midrange $99 phone and the aluminum iPhone is the high-end $199 model, the hate will die down. The hate exists because it is a "new" Apple product and people expect it to be revolutionary.

Next year when the 6 comes out and the next 5c has repackaged 5s internals, no one will care anymore because it will be the norm. Kinda like how last year no one cares about how well the 4s sold when the 5 was released.

This is how it should be. No one should compare the 5c to 5s, but you can compare this years 5c to last years 4s because that's the better comparison. People gon hate and think they know everything no matter what though

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2012

As opposed to just making brand new "old tech" in cheap entry level phones like all those Android phones out there?

That 'brand new old tech' in cheap android phones and tablets actually sells cheap under or without contract.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

Mad? No. Annoyed yes. Mad just to be mad? No.

But annoyed because Apple is essentially calling the 5c a new phone. It's not. But anytime you tell the Apple fanbase that something is "new", the Apple fanbase automatically equates "new" with "better." And the 5c is NOT better than my iPhone 5.

You can cut it any way you want it, but when Apple introduces a phone at a keynote they are saying it's "new."

And, by the way, I'm not "stuck" on my iPhone 5. I choose to be here. The 5s has nothing for me and going to the 5c is either a crossgrade or a downgrade (I choose the later).

As to what Apple can and can't have, well, whatever. But if I know I am going to be paying a "premium" price for an Apple product I am going to spend my money to get the best of the lot. Why pay premium if you didn't buy the top model?

Ex: My friend way back in 1996 bought his very first car. He was so happy to have a Ford Mustang as the first. But when you looked at it, he rolled off the showroom floor in a base model V6 with plastic hubcaps, manual windows and a cd controller that kept falling off the dash (that the Ford dealer somehow couldn't keep where it belonged).

My point is, if I am going to be paying through the nose for something, I am NOT paying expensive money for less than the top of the line when it's my money to spend.

That's just me. Apple sells to those that are willing to buy less. Hence the 5c.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Apple's a business and I get that. More money, more money. I just object to the marketing of the 5c as a new iPhone. It's not. It's a 5 in a plastic case. And no matter how many people say "it feels like ceramic" or that it's "premium" plastic, IMO metal is better.

Agreed, I have a 5 and am happy with it but would not want to get a 5c now if I were upgrading. :rolleyes:

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
That 'brand new old tech' in cheap android phones and tablets actually sells cheap under or without contract.

Galaxy SIII sells for $99 with contract, same as iPhone 5c which are both last generation phones.

A cheap Android with 2 year old technology and the iPhone 4s are both free with contract.

A brand new Galaxy S5 and a brand new iPhone 5s sell for $199 with contract.

I fail to see what Apple is doing wrong?

Charcoalwerks

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2011
Maryland
A 5c is new to me. I came from a 2010 iPhone 4 :D
I actually like the feel of the plastic better than the glass and metal of the 4. It fits better in my hand for some reason.

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2012
Galaxy SIII sells for $99 with contract, same as iPhone 5c which are both last generation phones.

A cheap Android with 2 year old technology and the iPhone 4s are both free with contract.

A brand new Galaxy S5 and a brand new iPhone 5s sell for $199 with contract.

I fail to see what Apple is doing wrong?

Check the without contract prices perhaps? Start with the nexus 5 vs 5c.

Apple's pricing isn't cheaper. It's simply making the carriers pay more. It isn't actually a cheaper phone, esp. if you buy off contract.

Sean76

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2013
NYC
I like the 5c, it's a cool concept! And younger people will grab em, especially for the holidays coming up and all.

Would I get it? Absolutely not, it's not made for people like me, I want newer stuff, not repackaged internals from last years model with a shiny new plastic case. But that's me, and I'm a tech nerd like a lot of us here.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
My mother bought a 5C. She was buying unlocked to use on MetroPCS and wanted to save $100 off the 5S which had features she really doesn't need, not being a power user in the least.

I believe this is one of the markets for the 5C; people who aren't power users yet still want a phone with reasonably current tech.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Apple is only genius if their plan works. That is, the 5c sells. Indications suggest this not the case though.

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2008
Why are people saying the 5c is a disaster for selling only 1/3 compared to the 5s? That is like people last year saying the 4s is a disaster because it sold 1/3 compared to the iPhone 5. Of course the newer model will sell more! The fact that Apple was able to sell even 1/3 of an older phone is genius.
OP, you missed the point. It's not sales of 5c vs. sales of 5s that people are focusing on, it's the fact that Apple is drastically cutting orders of the 5c that has got people thinking that the 5c is a less than spectacular launch.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
5C exist because Apple released it.. that's it. LOL

well for 1, they can save money and still charge more = higher profit
2, people will compare it to 5S and people will flock the 5S (reason 5S is outselling 5C 2:1 ratio)= apple's dominance in premium market

simply put, apple don't have to follow people to be successful. sure it was priced a lil expensive than what's expected. but having the 5C shows how dominant apple is in the premium market and that's a good market to dominate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.