Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

appletv-e1382101627468.png
Amazon France and Amazon Germany are now displaying an avaliability date of October 23 for the Apple TV, indicating that a new version of the device may be available soon after after Apple's media event next week, reports German website iFun [Google Translation].

While the model number listed for future availability on both stores is that of the European 3rd-generation Apple TV, a new model of Apple's set-top box is well overdue for an update, having gone 590 days without a major release. A tweet from the well-connected MG Siegler last month hinted at an incoming updated version of the hardware, with Apple also releasing a major update for the Apple TV in September that brought iTunes Radio and AirPlay from iCloud functionality.

Apple will hold a media event next Tuesday, October 22 and is expected to unveil both the fifth-generation iPad and the second-generation iPad mini, along with other Apple products such as OS X Mavericks and the Mac Pro. However, potential announcements of other new products, such as an updated Apple TV and new MacBook Pros, is also likely at the event.

Article Link: Amazon France and Amazon Germany Hint at Upcoming Refresh for Apple TV

SAdProZ

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Calling it now: Apps for Apple TV

With the new iOS game controllers soon to be released we should be able to play games on the Apple TV.

Mollerade

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2013
fingers crossed

problems on the TV to solve.

• Auto recognising a user - and switching profile
  • Auto setup based on existing profile
  • cross platform syncing
  • easy access to TV functions

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Calling it now: Apps for Apple TV

Yeah, that's a logical direction that opens up the platform to be way more than just a "media box".

BTW, finally got around to listening to your podcast (EP1), good stuff.

Clearing debt on all credit card. Hopefully I will not be broke next month

I know, I am seriously going to have to step up meth production if I except to get a new iPad and a new MBP.

knemonic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
I for one eagerly welcome gaming on the atv. I used to enjoy games but kind of grew out of them but being able to play a quick game of something on my atv makes for one very reasonably priced console. I'm sorry but it's crazy to have to drop $1k to play a game once in awhile.

scott911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2009
apple tv recall?

slightly off topic, sorry - but this is the audience...

Wasn't the current apple tv recalled for wifi issues? I swear I read the article, and matched serial numbers - that would have been hard to imagine.

But when My wife took the unit in, the Genius' claimed no knowledge of a recall.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I'd love a new model of Apple TV. It would be great if the new AppleTV had some spec bumps and perhaps a little extra flash storage to keep some games around. What would be cool is if you could load a game from your iOS device onto the AppleTV and use a bluetooth controller to play it natively. I find AirPlay to be rather laggy for gaming. Another option: 802.11ac WIFI for less laggy AirPlay—although this would require compatible iOS devices. I'm not upgrading to 802.11ac until there is at least an Apple TV that supports it and at least one iOS device. Might also pick up an 802.11ac dongle for my rMBP to leave plugged into my USB 3.0 dock while in my office. I could also move my old Apple TV 3 up to my office and use it to watch shows instead of my Xbox which heats up the room when I'm working out. But then there's also the issue of my old monitor that is going out. Guess I'll need to pick up a 4K Thunderbolt display too. Wow, after buying all of that and new iPads my savings will be crying, lol. But anyway, apps for Apple TV please!

lewisd25

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
I would love to see an Apple TV with A7X with quad core graphics, 2GB RAM, 16-32gb HDD, HDMI pass thru, App store, and bluetooth controller support.

Sayonara Ouya.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
If apple is going to add apps, that would imply adding a bigger harddrive again. But I thought they removed it because they wanted the ATV to be a dedicated streaming device? Hmm.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Just last month we had the rumor of a new Apple TV based on some Bills of Lading for "Set Top Boxes", so maybe those are these new units being stock-piled in preparation for announcement on the 22nd.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

Wasn't the current apple tv recalled for wifi issues? I swear I read the article, and matched serial numbers - that would have been hard to imagine.

But when My wife took the unit in, the Genius' claimed no knowledge of a recall.

There was, it was for Gen 3, there was a 2 char code in the serial circulated that indicated if you were in a bad batch (I had just previously picked up two ATV3s, neither were, though one is on a GB wire anyway :) )

I believe it was just a straight up swap at an Apple Store:

Here's a source for it:

http://9to5mac.com/2013/04/15/apple...s-have-wifi-issues-opens-replacement-program/

I would love to see an Apple TV with A7X with quad core graphics, 2GB RAM, 16-32gb HDD, HDMI pass thru, App store, and bluetooth controller support.

Sayonara Ouya.

Sounds good, but sounds like a $300 vs. a $99 box. Seems like Apple wants to keep this product super cheap, so it's a no-brainer purchase (especially to compliment an iOS device).

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009

Yes, it exists. I actually had mine replaced a few weeks before the announcement of the issue. It is not really a recall, but more like if you have wifi dropping problems take the 3rd gen for replacement and if the numbers match then they don't even have to test it. Find the article and tell them to search the database for wifi issue replacemtns on the 3rd gen.

jumanji

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2003
Austin, TX
please, please, please.

for a hobby, the thing is a hidden gem for apple. i've given away 3 as gifts and all of them come back to me after a month or so and tell how much they love the thing and how come they hadn't heard about it.

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
Visualizer

I'd be happy if they'd just add a cool visualizer feature while streaming your iTunes library through it. Something cooler/nicer to look at on your TV while playing music, versus boring or no cover art floating in space. Stick track info and cover art in the corner like the visualizer in iTunes.

Don't know why they haven't done this from the beginning. Not sure if there's a limitation, whether it's hardware or software, or they just don't feel like/haven't got around to adding it. It just seems like a no-brainer.

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
I wouldn't mind a thinner one made out of that brushed aluminum that they use for the ATV remotes. Also the ability to hook up a external HD directly to it, a redesigned menu too. One where it shows more of "most recent" movies added to your iTunes when you've selected the computer icon. Wishful thinking......

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
802.11ac
802.11ac
apps/appstore
able to jailbreak

the trifecta of perfection I dream of........

If we can dream I'd also like to dream of some actual internal storage (16GB+) or at the very least a thunderbolt port and support for attaching some external storage.

But if we can Jailbreak then I suppose we could tap into some external storage. Not being sable to Jailbreak is the only reason I haven't bought several AppleTV 3's (I haven't bought any 3's)

Side Note: I have an origional (Silver) Apple TV kicking around (with Firecore on it) anyone know of any fun/awesome projects I could do with it, or if they are selling for anything?

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
If we can dream I'd also like to dream of some actual internal storage (16GB+) or at the very least a thunderbolt port and support for attaching some external storage.

Totally. Heck, the current models _have_ a USB port on them already! It's just USB2 but that would be fine for streaming.

Add a little network stack so the connected drive could broadcast/share, and use it for remote iTunes library storage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.