Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
I'm getting a new SSD today, and I was wondering what the best option is for moving my Mac and Windows partitions from one SSD to the other. I'm going from a 240GB to 480GB, so the partition sizes would need to change.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I'm getting a new SSD today, and I was wondering what the best option is for moving my Mac and Windows partitions from one SSD to the other. I'm going from a 240GB to 480GB, so the partition sizes would need to change.

Use Winclone to move the Windows install over and the free 30 day trial version of Carbon Copy Cloner to move the OS X side of things over.

mmcc

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2010
Tennessee
I've used iPartition from Coriolis multiple times with success, although I sometimes have to run recovery from the Windows install disk to get the cloned Windows partition to boot after copying. I think the recovery requirement has only been the case when consolidating my Windows and Mac partitions to one internal drive instead of two, or vice-versa.

The advantage of iPartition is that the Mac partition is also cloned instead of a file-by-file copy as done by Carbon Copy Cloner.

I also use iPartition to make clones to an external drive for complete image backups.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.