Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WhatIamLost

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2013
Okay SO I have been struggling with clearing up space in my laptop and I finally have just now! I am pretty sure that I eliminated more than 30 GB worth of stuff and yet I have 16 GB free only. It seems to me that my "other" bar seems to grow when I delete stuff and right now it's at 237.75 GB of the total disk space (320GB).

How do I get ride of all this "other" stuff? HELP! :confused:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If you're wondering what "Other" category in the storage tab is about, this may help explain: For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:
  • Begin by restarting your computer as a first step. This sometimes resolves issues.
  • For Time Machine users on notebooks running Lion or later, space may being consumed by Time Machine local snapshots, which can be disabled by entering the following command in Terminal: sudo tmutil disablelocal.
  • Check to see if some of the space is being used by your sleepimage file.
  • Search with Finder to see if the space is being consumed by a very large file or several large files. Adjust the 50GB in the illustration to whatever size you deem appropriate.
    attachment.php
  • Use OmniDiskSweeper, JDisk Report, Disk Inventory X, DaisyDisk or GrandPerspective to see how space is being used on your drive. Some of these apps may show more detail than others, so try several.
  • Check your drive with Disk Utility: Using Disk Utility to verify or repair disks
  • Try re-indexing your drive: Spotlight: How to re-index folders or volumes
Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:

giraffeboy27

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2013
I hadn't done a time machine backup in a while, did one last night, and got 60GB knocked off of "other".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.