Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
so granted 5C has its pros. reconfirming the 5S dominance in the market. weak 5C sales brought strong 5S sales, so that means Apple is still commanding in premium market segment, and not for the cheap. Not too bad of a market to cater too. LOL.

anyways, is this the end for the "cheap" iPhone? would the 5C be one of those discontinued, rare iphones?

MonstaMash

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2011
Hurry, go and should buy one of each color and capacity just in case!!!

But seriously.. they aren't going anywhere. They are outselling the what the iPhone 4S sold when the iPhone 5 came out. And they make more on the 5c than if they continued to sell the 5. And, it's also increasing sales towards the 5s so much that they need to ramp up the higher margin 5s by 75%. So it's a win-win-win for Apple.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
Well, an inventory mis-calculation of this size is a blunder, no doubt about it.

It's too early to judge the 5C, though. We're still in early-adopter territory since lots of people who ordered their 5Ses within the first week are still to receive their products.

Let's look at the situation again in 6 months.

businezguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
[/COLOR]If the iPhone 5c sells well and gets better margins than the iPhone 4S before it (and it most likely does), it's a win for apple. If it doesn't sell as well and pushes customers to the even higher margin 5s, so much the better for apple. The model serves its purpose one way or the other and benefits apple more then the iPhone 4S before it. It's not going anywhere and is a success perhaps more if it sells less. I think the 5c will make a killing during the holidays and further boost apple's margins while also increasing market share.

protoxx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2013
Humm.....Discontinue the second or third best selling phone because it's selling so poorly.

Back to business school for you and stay awake in class this time.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
As far as I know Apple has yet to reveal numbers other than the 9 Million iPhones sold during the launch weekend, so any other information floating around at this point is just speculations and not actual facts.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
so granted 5C has its pros. reconfirming the 5S dominance in the market. weak 5C sales brought strong 5S sales, so that means Apple is still commanding in premium market segment, and not for the cheap. Not too bad of a market to cater too. LOL.

anyways, is this the end for the "cheap" iPhone? would the 5C be one of those discontinued, rare iphones?

Another one of these threads. Let's bash the 5c. Wow some people never stop.

The 5c is selling fine for what it is. They may have produced to many to begin with, but it's the number 2 or 3 selling phone. Yeah it's selling awful. I guess it's supposed to be number 1. The "C" series isn't going anywhere

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
nah, they just made wayyy too many since it was easy to fabricate.

So they made "wayyy to many" but still need to produce 4.5 million units per month?

If they overproduced in the first place and it's a failure, why the need to continue production at millions of units per month?

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
So they made "wayyy to many" but still need to produce 4.5 million units per month?

If they overproduced in the first place and it's a failure, why the need to continue production at millions of units per month?

This. No matter what it's still 4.5 million per month.. What a failure...

----------

What proof do you have that it's not selling well? We'll be waiting.

We are still waiting, OP

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
This. No matter what it's still 4.5 million per month.. What a failure...

Apple can't win. Produce enough to maintain inventory and the device is a failure. Experience shortages on a device breaking sales records selling nearly twice as many on opening weekend as the previous model, and Apple screwed up by not having enough units.

We are still waiting, OP

Don't hold your breath. This place is filled with armchair quarterbacks clueless about the realities of running a business. Just look at how many mistakenly think Profit equals Selling Price minus Bill of Materials. :rolleyes:

kingalexthe1st

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2013
Another one of these threads. Let's bash the 5c. Wow some people never stop.

The 5c is selling fine for what it is. They may have produced to many to begin with, but it's the number 2 or 3 selling phone. Yeah it's selling awful. I guess it's supposed to be number 1. The "C" series isn't going anywhere

Yeah, another 'hate on the 5C thread'. Can someone please explain to me why they dislike the 5C? And it's not because it's plastic or anything like that, or you'd hate everything plastic. I think it's something to do with loyalty to your precious company thinking they absolutely need to be making the most sparkly product out there (not directed at you, Tthomas612).

And who's saying they produced too many? Just because they're decreasing orders by 35%? Sounds to me like Apple perfectly judged how well it would sell, meeting demand for the first month then gradually scaling back as sales (inevitabely) slow.

In the end, who cares. As long as you have the phone you want, don't give a damn about whether Apple sells more or less of them to anyone else.

Alex

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
Yeah, another 'hate on the 5C thread'. Can someone please explain to me why they dislike the 5C? And it's not because it's plastic or anything like that, or you'd hate everything plastic. I think it's something to do with loyalty to your precious company thinking they absolutely need to be making the most sparkly product out there (not directed at you, Tthomas612).

And who's saying they produced too many? Just because they're decreasing orders by 35%? Sounds to me like Apple perfectly judged how well it would sell, meeting demand for the first month then gradually scaling back as sales (inevitabely) slow.

In the end, who cares. As long as you have the phone you want, don't give a damn about whether Apple sells more or less of them to anyone else.

Alex

Yes and once again someone starts a thread about something then you quote them back and they don't ever wanna come back and give facts. Most people on this forum doesn't understand simple economics.

"Oh, Apple cut production of the 5c it failing."

Note : last year Apple cut production of the iPhone 5 and it was selling rapidly.

Note: two years ago the iPhone 4S was selling great and guess what??

"Well, stock of the 5 c is plentiful."

Note: it's plastic. It has internals that has been produced for a year... i.e easy to produce.

"Who wants an iphone 5 in a plastic case ?"

Well me personally despise the ugly two tone of the iPhone 5/5s. I bought the 5 on launch last year and went back to my 4s. I was there launch morning to buy the 5s and looked at it and it reminded so much if that iphone. 5 ... Umm wonder why ?

All of these arguments that people come up with are never based on facts . No one can come up with facts stating the 5 c is a failure.

Then there's people who think they know that'll say the facts are the production cuts and the stock at stores ... Which could mean TWO different things.

It's so tiresome to read people trying to act like they know the device is failing when they don't. No one does at this moment. 6to8 months from now we will know how it's going, but less then a month after release we don't.

----------

Apple can't win. Produce enough to maintain inventory and the device is a failure. Experience shortages on a device breaking sales records selling nearly twice as many on opening weekend as the previous model, and Apple screwed up by not having enough units.

Don't hold your breath. This place is filled with armchair quarterbacks clueless about the realities of running a business. Just look at how many mistakenly think Profit equals Selling Price minus Bill of Materials. :rolleyes:

Ain't this the truth. Then when you quote them and ask for facts they never respond

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan

Even if Apple stopped making 5c's entirely there are already enough made to ensure that it will never be a "rare" model. The only truly rare iPhones that I know of are the prototypes that escape from time to time.

At any rate, cutting back production doesn't necessarily mean its a failure, but it's clear Apple overestimated demand for the 5C and underestimated demand for the 5S. That's a good thing, because it sends a message to Apple and other manufacturers that many more people are willing to pay a little more for higher end smartphones than they thought.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007

The 5c hate is due to a modern day form of penis envy -- compass envy.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009

Who said it was a failure? If you overproduce you have to lower how many you make. It's simple. Even if it is selling very good, the supply is more than then demand. It's simple economics 101.

emseven

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2013
Do you have anything resembling an education? Tim Cook's very own (and rare) guidance said you would be mistaken to watch the supply chain.

Even IF the 5c was off the mark it will still sell more than any single Android on Earth.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Who said it was a failure? If you overproduce you have to lower how many you make. It's simple. Even if it is selling very good, the supply is more than then demand. It's simple economics 101.

You speak of this "overproduction" as if its fact. Do you work at Apple or something?

----------

As far as I know Apple has yet to reveal numbers other than the 9 Million iPhones sold during the launch weekend, so any other information floating around at this point is just speculations and not actual facts.

Tell that to the mods who keep plastering 5C doom stories on their front page.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.