Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

InfiniteLoopy

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
We've seen job postings, an on-stage use at an Apple event recently, Lightroom getting a new version and updates to Apple's other pro apps. So, Aperture users, will we get a new version next week at the Apple event? If so, what's your #1 requested feature? I'm quite happy with Aperture 3 but I can't help thinking that I may be "missing something" when I see the vast number of Lightroom users out there. I wouldn't mind a new organising system to maybe simplify the whole folders/projects system. Also, better retouching (I wish Apple would have bought Nik instead of Google). I just hope an updated iPhoto doesn't mean the death of Aperture.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
When
hell-freezes-over.jpeg

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
So, Aperture users, will we get a new version next week at the Apple event?

Given the zero levels or rumors....I would not hold my breath. I do wish Apple would have the courage to either pump up Aperture and signal it will be kept for at least a few more years....or just tell everyone it is EOL.

swordio777

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2013
Scotland, UK
I think it's VERY unlikely that we'll see a new version of Aperture announced at Tuesday's event. Apple have plenty of new hardware to go through at the event without having to squeeze in new software as well.

When (should that be "If"?) they ever release a new version of Aperture, I think it's far more likely that they'll release it quietly under the radar just like they did with Logic X a couple of months back.

As for the feature I'd most like to see: the ability to batch export and add to library at the same time. For professionals who round-trip files to Photoshop this feature is a must have! Lightroom has been able to do this for years. If you want to round-tip in Aperture at present you have to do every single file individually which is a real time sink. I don't care about "polish" or all the bells & whistles that Lightroom continues to add, I just want good, pro-level functionality. Unfortunately, I suspect Apple might want to go in exactly opposite direction with this software.

Cheers

Lunfai

macrumors 68000
Nov 21, 2010
Sheffield
I think it's a nice application to show off the retina display again, so maybe they could update it, but I don't think it'll be featured next week. But one can hope for a silent update.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
I don't think Aperture will be updated at next week's event... too much already going on. That said, if I were advising someone whether or not to buy Aperture, I would tell them to hold off for a week - just to be sure.

When Aperture is updated (and I believe it will be in the next half-year or so) I think the big changes are going to be integrating Aperture and a photographer's work-flow with the iPad - the iPad becomes a seamless extension of Aperture on a Mac. Capture One, for example, has Capture Pilot (I think that is the name) that makes an iPad a remote control/extension for the base installation of Capture One on a Mac. I think Apple will do something similar - and probably extending the integration.

It makes commercial sense for Apple. Create a 'must have' application that needs both a mobile device and a Mac to fully utilize.

Just my uninformed 2¢.... and very definitely imho

InfiniteLoopy

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
Given the zero levels or rumors....I would not hold my breath.
Yes, but this is software developed inside Apple and distributed by Apple. Therefore there are no contractors, no assembly lines, no shipping logs, no suppliers, so maybe we wouldn't see a leak.

Wasn't that what Steve said regarding iTunes on Windows? I don't think Aperture is such an extreme case (yet).

I don't care about "polish" or all the bells & whistles that Lightroom continues to add, I just want good, pro-level functionality. Unfortunately, I suspect Apple might want to go in exactly opposite direction with this software.
I agree about pro functionality. What bothers me though is that I am still using software which may no longer be developed actively. I don't want new for the sake of new, but the longer I spend in Aperture, the harder the transition away from it will be. Yes, there will be camera updates and bug fixes but if nothing new comes, at what point do we have to start considering alternatives?

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
at what point do we have to start considering alternatives?

When I retired and moved from Winworld back to Mac last spring I considered moving from LR to Aperture. Given the features in LR 5, glad I did not. LR has a much larger installed base and gets major feature sets at least once a year. Most of the plugins from Topaz, Nik, and others have versions for Aperture or LR. So if you move and have plugins, good chance you can keep the plugins.

I hope Apple does continue with Aperture. Adobe needs the competition to keep LR moving forward.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
There's at least a decent chance we'll see Aperture 4 next Tuesday for three reasons:

1) Mac Pro
2) New iPad
3) New Retina Displays

Apple likes to use Aperture to show off their Pro products and with the Mac Pro being given an official release next week, there's a good chance that Aperture may be shown as well. If Aperture is made with an iPad companion app, then the new iPad introduction only adds to that scenario. Apple is also due for new Thunderbolt displays, probably retina. All of these lend themselves to beautiful crisp photography in a professional level photo application: Aperture.

Will Apple keep Aperture? They reinvented their pro apps for video editing and then for audio. The most popular consumer application is photography and SLR's outsell video cameras by a wide margin. They kept their more niche professional apps, they will almost certainly be keeping their app for photography. 99.9% sure of it. Will it be released soon? Probably. Tuesday? There's a fair chance.

Last edited:

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I would hope to see just a silent upgrade. I don't want to repurchase!

Only features I'd like to see are lens distortion correction and improved noise reduction. Otherwise I'm a happy camper.

Other than Mavericks, the only software I can see being announced next week would be an new FCPX version for the to-be-announced Mac Pro. The design of the Mac Pro aims it squarely at the video crowd, and a FCPX that can use all the Mac Pro's features is a requirement.

InfiniteLoopy

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
There's at least a decent chance we'll see Aperture 4 next Tuesday for three reasons:

1) Mac Pro
2) New iPad
3) New Retina Displays
[...]
Will it be released soon? Probably. Tuesday? There's a fair chance.

The design of the Mac Pro aims it squarely at the video crowd, and a FCPX that can use all the Mac Pro's features is a requirement.

As talmy says, the new Mac Pro will be showcased demoing video. Conceivably, showing (4k) video on the Mac Pro and maybe even the new iPhoto on a MBP connected to a retina display could be enough in Apple's eyes.

I was thinking of iPad apps. Unless I'm mistaken, Apple has iMovie, iPhoto and Garageband on the iPad. In other words, they don't seem to be making pro versions of their Mac apps for iPad. Even though I'd love an iOS version of Aperture, Apple seems to be focusing on their consumer apps, especially for photography.

initialsBB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
I'm looking forward to seeing Apple release Aperture 4. They have admitted that they completely botched the FCP X release, and I wonder how they will handle this release. I doubt they'll have time for it next week but as there has been recruitment chatter and book placeholder leaks on Amazon, could be before the year's end ?
Personally, like many, I would like to see lens distortion correction, better noise reduction. Also better PhotoStream support: I don't like the auto upload feature that kicks in as soon as you import files, sucks big time when it starts uploading all my RAW files before I've even started sorting them.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
And if there is zero hint of an Aperture 4 Tuesday, then what? How much longer before you go elsewhere?

initialsBB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
And if there is zero hint of an Aperture 4 Tuesday, then what? How much longer before you go elsewhere?

Me? Not going anywhere. Aperture's library/file management is a perfect fit for me and adjustments do 90% of what I need. Tried other solutions but Aperture is still the best for my needs.

swordio777

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2013
Scotland, UK
Yes, there will be camera updates and bug fixes but if nothing new comes, at what point do we have to start considering alternatives?

You need to start considering alternatives when a piece of software does not meet your needs - not a second sooner.

Jumping ship to another piece of software just because it added a bunch of features that your current software doesn't have is simply "gear envy". We all get it from time to time, whether it's a brand new phone / computer / camera / piece of software. But in truth, just because something new & shiny comes out it doesn't make everything that came before it obsolete.

I hope Apple does continue with Aperture. Adobe needs the competition to keep LR moving forward.

Couldn't agree more - strong competition is in the consumers' best interest, whichever team you support.

I was thinking of iPad apps. Unless I'm mistaken, Apple has iMovie, iPhoto and Garageband on the iPad. In other words, they don't seem to be making pro versions of their Mac apps for iPad. Even though I'd love an iOS version of Aperture, Apple seems to be focusing on their consumer apps, especially for photography.

The way I understood talmy's snberk103's post I thought he meant integration similar to that used by Logic Pro X, where there isn't a stand-alone iPad app, but one that supports the mac app & makes it easier to manage? Apologies if I misinterpreted that, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is the direction apple go.

Cheers

Last edited:

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
The way I understood talmy's post I thought he meant integration similar to that used by Logic Pro X, where there isn't a stand-alone iPad app, but one that supports the mac app & makes it easier to manage? Apologies if I misinterpreted that, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is the direction apple go.

Cheers

Actually, I didn't address integration between platforms at all. I don't even consider iOS for anything other than data consumption. The iPad is a too weak platform to support the full feature set of Aperture. I'm unhappy that Apple appears to be working more on their iOS versions of the iLife/iWork apps than the OS X versions. Pretty much solely aiming at the consumer market, which is admittedly much larger. The only app I've heard any professional accolades about is the iOS Garargeband.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
though i would LOVE an update and buy the update as well as encourage my brother to make the plunge, with iPhoto going FREE, i don't see it happening.

too bad though.

twitch31

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2013
I gave up and switched from Aperture to LR a year ago. The noise reduction and lens correction features were the intial main reasons and both have proven to be fantastic. Since switching I've found the CA/PF correction, publish services feature and the perspective corrections to be equally excellent benefits to my workflow.

I can edit and publish a photo in ~1 minute in LR where to do the same corrections (levels, noise, lens, perspective, CA) in Aperture would take me at least 5 due to round tripping to 2 different external editors.

Last edited:

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Aperture plus NIK plus PTLens is everything I need. My biggest concern is that they offer a compelling upgrade to Aperture but break compatibility with NIK (and Google takes forever to fix it). That would create a real conundrum.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I'm often impressed by the loyalty of the Apple faithful. The rest of us have moved on.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I think the chances are actually non-zero: they did use Aperture as one of the apps for the new Mac Pro during WWDC, so I think it may actually be an app they may taylor for the new hardware. Given the new Mac Pro's very different performance characteristics, you'd need new apps to take advantage of them.

egis

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2008
Bethesda, Maryland
I gave up and switched from Aperture to LR a year ago. The noise reduction and lens correction features were the intial main reasons and both have proven to be fantastic. Since switching I've found the CA/PF correction, publish services feature and the perspective corrections to be equally excellent benefits to my workflow.

I can edit and publish a photo in ~1 minute in LR where to do the same corrections (levels, noise, lens, perspective, CA) in Aperture would take me at least 5 due to round tripping to 2 different external editors.

I did the same last year, the only thing, and it is a big issue for me is image management. It is so much of an issue that I went back to Aperture. Can I ask what approach you are using now for managing your files?:confused:

swordio777

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2013
Scotland, UK
Actually, I didn't address integration between platforms at all.

Apologies - I was getting confused. I was referring to a post by snberk103, not by yourself:
When Aperture is updated (and I believe it will be in the next half-year or so) I think the big changes are going to be integrating Aperture and a photographer's work-flow with the iPad - the iPad becomes a seamless extension of Aperture on a Mac. Capture One, for example, has Capture Pilot (I think that is the name) that makes an iPad a remote control/extension for the base installation of Capture One on a Mac. I think Apple will do something similar - and probably extending the integration.

Updated my original post to correct the mistake.

Cheers

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
We've seen job postings, an on-stage use at an Apple event recently, Lightroom getting a new version and updates to Apple's other pro apps. So, Aperture users, will we get a new version next week at the Apple event?
At the very least we'll see a bug fix and library update. This is so it will keep inter-operating with iPhoto which we know has an update for Mavericks.

I agree about pro functionality. What bothers me though is that I am still using software which may no longer be developed actively. I don't want new for the sake of new, but the longer I spend in Aperture, the harder the transition away from it will be. Yes, there will be camera updates and bug fixes but if nothing new comes, at what point do we have to start considering alternatives?
Some of the patched for 3.x have been more than bug fixes. Personally I don't care if Apple calls the next feature version 3.5 as long as there are new features added over time.

I think the chances are actually non-zero: they did use Aperture as one of the apps for the new Mac Pro during WWDC, so I think it may actually be an app they may taylor for the new hardware. Given the new Mac Pro's very different performance characteristics, you'd need new apps to take advantage of them.
Pretty much this. The question is how soon?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.