Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShaneBunting

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
United Kingdom
When I sell my MB Air, I'll have £1700 to spend on a new Mac!

It's going to be a MacBook Pro! I really want a 13" with Haswell, decent clock speed, 256GB SSD and adedicated graphics card!

Who else is going to buy one if the new Pro's? If so, what size and spec :D

simongreen

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2013
I'm just planning on getting the base 13" retina model, with the hench educational pricing discount its a reasonable price.

It'll be my first Mac, I've been going crazy waiting for it! Couldn't tell you how many unboxing videos I've watched ahah.

Need it in my life NOW!

ShaneBunting

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
United Kingdom
Macs are amazing. I've had a white 13" MacBook, 13" standard Pro and what I have now, a 2013 11" Air.

But I've been saving, and buying one heck of a Pro is going to be amazing :)

simongreen

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2013
I've used my housemates 2008 unibody macbook quite a bit over the last couple years so I've got used to OSX but I'll be actually making the switch from PC to Mac myself now. The last couple weeks have been torture just waiting!

Not much longer now, hopefully!

Xerotech

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
There's a whole debate if the 15" will retain a dGPU or use the Iris Pro iGPU. The 13" will unfortunately not have one. :p

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I'll be buying the max spec 15" retina.
I plan to keep it 3-5 years and always tend to buy max spec.

ShaneBunting

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
United Kingdom
I am having some second thoughts I suppose.

But if it doesn't, I really don't see the point in not just getting a 13" Air, maxed out with a 512GB SSD and 8GB of RAM.

I'm also considering just saving my money. Read about the successor to Haswell introducing DDR4.. Might be worth waiting.

My 11" Air is one month old, 2013 model. I love the size as much as I dislike it. So that's why I'm exploring my options.

Maybe a big monitor would be the answer..

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
13" dedicated will not happen. Too expensive. No chance I don't think.

Oddly enough I know it won't happen but I really want to see a finger print scanner on the Macbook. I love it on my iPhone now and my sisters HP has a finger print scan and I actually love it for logging in instead of needing two hands always free to type my password.

Fingerprint unlock on my MBP would be awesome.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
There is virtually no way the 13" Haswell rMBP will have a dGPU. Integrated GPU's seem to be the future as their performance increases. In fact this might be the last generation of 15" MBP's with dGPU's. Apple is not going to start putting a dGPU in the 13" now.

ShaneBunting

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
United Kingdom
My problem is the 15" Retina is too expensive, and the non-Retina 15" is too bulky and big - I say that, as I thought the non-Retina 13" Pro was too bulky!

So it's 13" at most. Don't think it'd be worth my time then to get a 13" Pro.

Maybe the MacBook Air should be my next move - 13" and Max Specs.

I'm going to start a thread to see what the current Air users think

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
My problem is the 15" Retina is too expensive, and the non-Retina 15" is too bulky and big - I say that, as I thought the non-Retina 13" Pro was too bulky!

Have you tried looking at the rMBP and MBA in stores? Depends what you want. For some, the screen quality is a deal-breaker.

Also, why wouldn't it be worth it to get a 13-inch rMBP? Many people would recommend that over an Air, if a 13-inch laptop is what you're after.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I considered a 13" rMBP vs 13" MBA a month ago, budget around $ 1800, and wanted something from the store (not BTO) .. Bought the maxed out 13" MBA (8gb/i7/512 SSD)..it's a great machine for me. Lighter than the rMBP and the screen is good enough. I compared the screens in store and couldn't tell the MBA screen from the rMBP.

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan

If you think so, then get the 13in Pro.
All Im going to say is that its not going to have a dGPU and is not a "heck of a Pro"

hachiman

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
I am having some second thoughts I suppose.

But if it doesn't, I really don't see the point in not just getting a 13" Air, maxed out with a 512GB SSD and 8GB of RAM.

I'm also considering just saving my money. Read about the successor to Haswell introducing DDR4.. Might be worth waiting.

My 11" Air is one month old, 2013 model. I love the size as much as I dislike it. So that's why I'm exploring my options.

Maybe a big monitor would be the answer..

I heard DDR5 is even better than the 4, and rumor has it the 6 is better than both combined. :p

Just buy what you need.

adjeff8

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2012
:eek:

And all I wanted was a wife that cooked, cleaned and needed sex 3 times a day. (You can all guess how that worked out).

A wife needing sex 3 times a day sounds good on paper, but believe me it's not what it's all cracked up to be. Forgive me...I just need some sleep

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.