Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
What to expect?

12-inch IGZO display?
2304x1440 resolution?
Thinner and lighter?
Touch screen?
New materials?
Cheaper?
Better battery life?

Let's share our thoughts...

Last edited:

yliu

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
I doubt that apple is gonna achieve significantly more battery life with a thinner design and retina display... unless the Broadwell chips are super efficient.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
It never ends, does it?

What about the 2053 MBA?

It doesn't appear to end.

However, it seems to me that the 2014 MacBook Air will carry a major redesign, perhaps the most significant since the laptop was released back in 2008.

In 2010, the MacBook Air went through a major redesign, but the exterior of the 13-inch model did not carry much of a difference, although it is thinner, lighter and overall a bit smaller.

But the 2014 model will probably represent a milestone in MacBook Air's history so far. And, contrary to the 2053 model, it will be released in a few months from now.

----------

I doubt that apple is gonna achieve significantly more battery life with a thinner design and retina display... unless the Broadwell chips are super efficient.

The Broadwell chips are expected to have a 30% battery life increase over Haswell, despite both processors sharing the same architecture. At least that's what Intel is bragging about. We shall wait to see. Not too many people were believing when Intel said that Haswell would bring a boost in battery life, but look at the battery life of the 2013 MacBook Air and other Haswell models... it lives up to the promise (or at least, almost does). Broadwell should be even better.

In addition, Apple could put IGZO displays into the MacBook Air. Apple is reportedly looking at these displays. And Dell has just updated its XPS 15 with an IGZO display, so there's really some competition here. These displays are known for its battery-saving capabilities. IGZO displays were developed by Sharp, and are so fancied that they are expected to save Sharp from bankruptcy. IGZO displays are the reason why companies as Apple and Samsung are investing heavy in Sharp. An IGZO display is said to have triple battery life than an ordinary display. Even if these numbers are heavily exaggerated, you may have an idea of what's coming.

And, of course, OS X Mavericks is supposed to bring improvements in battery life... but let's see in a few days how that goes.

So, battery life should be great even with a very thin design.

mortenandersen

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Norway
Looking forward to MBA 12" in 2014 if screen ratio will be 16:9

Even though many will disagree with me, I hope that the 2014 MBA 12" will have a screen with the ratio 16:9.

How do you think the chances are for such a display ratio for a 12" model? (Will an IGZO display with the 2304x1440 resolution be 16:9 ratio?) [Please be overbearing with my lack of knowledge...]

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Even though many will disagree with me, I hope that the 2014 MBA 12" will have a screen with the ratio 16:9.

How do you think the chances are for such a display ratio for a 12" model? (Will an IGZO display with the 2304x1440 resolution be 16:9 ratio?) [Please be overbearing with my lack of knowledge...]

I do not claim to knowledgable in this area but...

If pixels are square: 2304/1440 = 1.6
(Which is 16/10)

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Yeah, why would we want to speculate about future products on a website dedicated Apple rumors. :p
A "rumor" is not "what I reckon might happen/would like to see".

I imagine that you could take any of the previous threads about what might be in the 2013 MBA, adding 5% to the desirable characteristics and subtracting 5% from the undesirable ones, and the result would be the same.

Sorry, just a bit of existential ennui. You carry on. :D

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
I do not claim to knowledgable in this area but...

If pixels are square: 2304/1440 = 1.6
(Which is 16/10)

Exactly. A 2304x1440 resolution would have a 16:10 ratio (like the current 13-inch Air and all the MacBook Pro models, and not like the 11-inch MacBook Air, which has a 16:9 ratio).

A 12-inch MacBook Air with a 16:10 ratio could have the same size as the 11.6-inch MacBook Air with a 16:9 ratio, just a little taller.

The dimensions of the screens are as follows:

12-inch 16:10: 10.18 width, 6.36 height
11.6-inch 16:9: 10.11 width, 5.69 height

Very similar, huh? The 12-inch Air could have nearly the same size as the current 11-inch, and be even thinner and lighter!

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
What to expect?

12-inch IGZO display?
2304x1440 resolution?
Thinner and lighter?
Touch screen?
New materials?
Cheaper?
Better battery life?

I think an important possibility that you did not mention was processor and associated OS.

I'm a little nervous that it might end up being an ARM / iOS conbination rather than Intel / OSX.

That would really reduce he power consumption but it would cease to be a productivity device (for real work). It would become a toy in my mind, and I would have no interest. .

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil

I imagine that you could take any of the previous threads about what might be in the 2013 MBA, adding 5% to the desirable characteristics and subtracting 5% from the undesirable ones, and the result would be the same.

Sorry, just a bit of existential ennui. You carry on. :D

Except that this time a refresh is definitely imminent. In 2013, it was likely. Now, in 2014, nearly four years after the last redesign, the probability of it happening is very high.

And there are reports of a 12-inch display with a 2304x1440 being produced for Apple, which fits a redesigned Air.

Don't be mad. We're just wasting our time here. It's fun.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
I think an important possibility that you did not mention was processor and associated OS.

I'm a little nervous that it might end up being an ARM / iOS conbination rather than Intel / OSX.

That would really reduce he power consumption but it would cease to be a productivity device (for real work). It would become a toy in my mind, and I would have no interest. .

I definitely hope it doesn't happen. And I guess it won't be this time. Apple will not dumb down the MacBook Air. That would be the demise of the Mac, as the Air seems to be the best-selling model around.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
What to expect?

12-inch IGZO display?
2304x1440 resolution?
Thinner and lighter?
Touch screen?
New materials?
Cheaper?
Better battery life?

Touch screen: I don't see that happening. That would require OSX to incorporate it in. Mavericks made no mention of it and I suspect that we will see the new MBA before the next version of Mavericks.

If the new 12" MBA was to be an iPad with a keyboard, then it obviously would have a touch screen. That would seem like Apple is trying to follow Microsoft's Surface RT (which has been a disaster, at least in round #1).

----------

It never ends, does it?

What about the 2053 MBA?

I'll be dead by then (but if you still want to discus it, that is fine). :)

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Touch screen: I don't see that happening. That would require OSX to incorporate it in. Mavericks made no mention of it and I suspect that we will see the new MBA before the next version of Mavericks.

If the new 12" MBA was to be an iPad with a keyboard, then it obviously would have a touch screen. That would seem like Apple is trying to follow Microsoft's Surface RT (which has been a disaster, at least in round #1).

Surface RT was a failure, but Surface 2 should perform better (although I'm very skeptical about its probability of success).

Said that, Apple has a good track record at making successful products based on promising technology that had never been implemented in successful products before (look at the tablets, or the touch screen itself).

But Apple is not going to put a touch screen on the MacBook Air. As you mentioned, OS X is not yet ready for this, and Apple won't spoil the Air by putting in it an ARM processor running iOS (hopefully).

Last edited:

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
honestly the thinness of the air isnt that much of a big deal. if I had my way the 2014 12 inch mac air would look like retina in terms of thickness with a fat fat battery in it. that would kick ass.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
What to expect?

12-inch IGZO display?
2304x1440 resolution?
Thinner and lighter?
Touch screen?
New materials?
Cheaper?
Better battery life?

Thinness:

Someone in another thread said that they thought that it would be impossible to make a new MBA thinner than the current 11" MBA since the limiting factor is the USB connector. However, I looked at mine and, while the computer is nearly as thin as it can be at the USB connection, the computer is actually thicker in the middle, away from the edge. Thus the current 11" MBA could definitely be physically thinner (without tapering illusions) if it wasn't any thicker than the edge where the current USB connector is placed.

I don't see Apple removing the USB connector (unless the new 12" MBA becomes just an iPad with a keyboard). I think the USB connector is still a necessary connection on a computer so I think that is the limiting factor. I can even imagine Apple inventing a special USB receptacle that doesn't completely house the incoming USB plug (so the USB connector isn't the limiting factor), but that would probably have already been seen in a new patent application.

I would definitely like the new MBA to be thinner. Naturally, being thinner would almost certainly make it lighter. Reducing its size and weight is like a work of art. It makes it look more beautiful and it makes it even more portable, allowing you to effortlessly to take it even more places. I'd like it be like short (thin) hardcover book that I can simply throw in my backpack and take it anywhere.

Assuming that the IGZO power saving were enough to offset the increased power demands of the retina display driver, I think the power savings from Broadwell could reduce the necessary battery size to make it thinner. I don't care about the 'all day battery life' of the current MBA. I would definitely give up a little battery life to make it thinner. I'm sure I'm in the minority there, though.

One of the side effects of making things thinner is that you have to give up the option of user upgradable parts (which I have absolutely no interest in that at all). I am willing to pay a lot extra to have top of the line components put in the computer from the very beginning. I sure hope Apple allows for high-end options (16G RAM, 512G or 1T SSD, etc). Anytime you have to allow the user to get into the computer you must make it bigger and heavier. When it gets too out of date I will happy to buy a new one (sort of like getting a new phone every other year). I hope Apple takes it to the extreme on this new model (thinness) demonstrating once again that their engineers are capable of pushing the envelope beyond what other companies are capable of imagining.

(I sure am setting myself up to be disappointed, aren't I?) :)

Last edited:

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009

True, though a LOT of rumours are based on what analysts reckon "might" happen!!

If you are interested in rumours, you are likely to be interested in speculating on future products, which makes MR the perfect forum for this kind of discussion.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
What to expect?

12-inch IGZO display?
2304x1440 resolution?
Thinner and lighter?
Touch screen?
New materials?
Cheaper?
Better battery life?

Cheaper:

I sure hope that a new 12" model will not be cheaper! That would mean that Apple is cutting corners. If the rumors about the new MBA being thinner and lighter than the current model are true, I would expect it to command a higher price tag than a comparably equipped 13" MBA. I think it will be called the 'New MacBook Air' to distinguish it from the current models (which are no longer leading edge in size and weight as they were back in 2010). If Apple uses any new technologies to make it thinner and lighter ('liquid metal', for example), you can be assured that the price will be higher.

Throw in the fact that it will be the first 'ultra-book' sized computer from Apple with a retina screen resolution and the price will certainly be higher. I also don't see the current 11" and 13" MBAs disappearing right away as some people have suggested. Though they may be eventually phased out, there still will be a place for the previous models based on price alone.

I think it would be foolish to think the new model would be cheaper.

Ramius

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2008
Should I wait untill next year with buying a Macbook Air?

Im considering upgrading to a newer laptop. And I will probably feel quite decieved if I buy a new Macbook Air now, and a much cooler version in gold, with touch, fingerprint sensor and vagina launches just five months later.

I currently use the first Macbook Pro unibody from 2008. And now I would like to go lighter, and drop the dvd drive and all that. I do use Photoshop quite a bit for image processing. But the Air can handle that fine I suppose?

Anyone editing video on their MBAs?

Saltymac

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2013
Rocky Mt State
No time to rest and enjoy the new candy ? Let's see on one hand we have a tech product of the year - the MBAir 2013 that is a solid seller in a flat pc/laptop market. We have Apple as a company who is launching several new devices in 2013, struggling with a so-so iOS 7, is focused on breaking into the mobile phone market in China, is working to shore up flagging ipad sales and is releasing a new OS by the end of 2013. In addition they are building a new campus in CA and adding to campus in Austin, TX. I would say that Apple as a company has it plate full. I don't see a significant new MBAir change until First Q 2015 at best.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
1152 by 720 effective native resolution feels like a step backwards. The current 11" has a native resolution of 1366 by 768. IGZO should allow for higher densities.

mattferg

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2013
Most likely scenario:

Same battery life (Broadwell, IGZO and 1 inch smaller screen pays for the increase in Retina battery consumption)
Same price (too much backlash in increasing price, profit margin already high)
Same overall thickness (but base thinner, screen half thicker to accommodate Retina)
Same ports (maybe combo SD/USB that Apple patented)
HDMI?

Livewings

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
1152 by 720 effective native resolution feels like a step backwards. The current 11" has a native resolution of 1366 by 768. IGZO should allow for higher densities.

I cannot wait for Oct 22.
It's about time the Air gets refreshed.
The Air is still slow by today's PC standards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.