Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Guitarpik

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2011
Florida :/
I've had my iPad 1 since launch and at first I was very protective of it. I keep a case on it but nothing protects the screen. In the past 2 years I've been less protective of it and sometimes even place things on top of the screen if I'm carrying stuff around.

I'm just curious why it has literally no scratches at all when every other device I've had (including iPhones) always manages to get at least tiny hairline scratches over time.

Do they use an even stronger material for iPad screens?

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
I've had my iPad 1 since launch and at first I was very protective of it. I keep a case on it but nothing protects the screen. In the past 2 years I've been less protective of it and sometimes even place things on top of the screen if I'm carrying stuff around.

I'm just curious why it has literally no scratches at all when every other device I've had (including iPhones) always manages to get at least tiny hairline scratches over time.

Do they use an even stronger material for iPad screens?

Gorilla glass is very strong and scratch resistant, which is why Apple chose it for their glass screens. ?

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
Because you don't keep it in your pockets with other things (including lint and micro debris).

I've never gotten scratches on any of my idevices despite not having a screen protector. I think I'd have to get out a microscope and proper lighting to see any damage if there were any.

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
Not trolling, but has anyone ever demonstrated that Apple use Gorilla glass? I know people said they aren't listed on Corning's site, because Apple doesn't like to endorse products, but...... :confused:

No scratches on your iPad because you took care of it. ;)

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
May 25, 2010
Not trolling, but has anyone ever demonstrated that Apple use Gorilla glass? I know people said they aren't listed on Corning's site, because Apple doesn't like to endorse products, but...... :confused:

No scratches on your iPad because you took care of it. ;)

Tim cook has stated that Apple gets its glass from corning, it's just a educated guess that they are using gorilla glass.

To OP:

I'm sure your iPad has many, many scratches on it. Put it under direct light and tilt it a little (while off) it's just that the scratches are so light that you can't see them under normal usage conditions.

Last edited:

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Could be luck. Could be differences in how you use the devices. Could be a bit of both. How would we know any better than you would?

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
Same for me. My iPhone is full of scratches on the screen whilst my iPad doesn't, but I reckon is due to the smart cover

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
My iPad 2 actually is covered in scratches, and I don't know how THAT happened. I am going to try filling the smaller ones in someday, or I might be getting an iPad 5 or iPad mini 2 in when they are out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.