Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Just read an article on USA Today in which besides color, and a better camera, folks want a USB Port.

The article also notes "Apple's tablet market share has tumbled from 60.3% in June 2012 to 32.4% in the same quarter this year"

I doubt if they are even considering a USB Port, because the iPad 5 is supposed to be thinner.

I just don't get how a company that was so smart, would rather stick to it's guns, and gradually lose significant market share, than add a USB Port that everyone could use?

Oh well......

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I've used an iPad every day since the first gen's launch date - and not once have I thought "I really wish I could plug a USB device in". I did buy the camera connection kit, and always use the SD reader, not the USB one.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
I dont want a usb port. Id prefer it be thinner! Why do people even use usb drives anymore? Maybe we should teach them of things like dropbox, box.com, google drive :D

I do however wish iOS would use more of a common file system. I hate having the same files spread across several apps taking up storage.

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Has Apple's share of the tablet market dropped or has the market got bigger?

Both actually

----------

In addition to the USB, I would like to see a Micro SD Memory Expansion Slot.

Last edited:

noodlemanc

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
Australasia
I don't, really. On my Android tablet I've got a SD card, but it's a pain in the ass to transfer stuff using it so I just use dropbox/google drive/mega/mediafire etc to transfer files. If you've got a big broadband data plan and fast Internet it beats USB drives or SD cards hands-down.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Wait so you can put movies in Dropbox, then play them on your ipad? What video player do y'all use, or do y'all convert first then put in Dropbox?

g35

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007
I'd like an SD card slot, but idk wtf I'd use a USB port for.

I'd love to use it for printing and transferring files to/from a USB stick with apps that support iTunes file transfer.

----------

Wait so you can put movies in Dropbox, then play them on your ipad? What video player do y'all use, or do y'all convert first then put in Dropbox?

I think VLC supports reading video files from your Dropbox

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
I would certainly like an SD slot if I could store media (TV, movies, etc) and play from it. Of course that's exactly why Apple will never put one in. People would keep a library of media files on SD cards rather than pay big bucks for more storage. And Apple really sucks the $$$ for storage. They won't lose that cash cow.

Oh, not not everyone has access to wifi all the time (like on long plane flights, or waiting in a DR office, etc).

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
I'd love to use it for printing and transferring files to/from a USB stick with apps that support iTunes file transfer.

----------

I think VLC supports reading video files from your Dropbox

Hmm so use Dropbox to put shows and movies on, then use vlc player to play them on my ipad?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Hmm so use Dropbox to put shows and movies on, then use vlc player to play them on my ipad?

I think there's a size limit to transferring files between apps. Best bet is to convert to mp4 or m4v, then you can stream directly in Dropbox. Also works in Skydrive.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
It would be nice but it ain't happening. Apple does very well with extra storage upcharges on devices and if people can just use USB drives or whatever else then they are likely to get a smaller amount of storage on the purchased device.

That, and it doesn't play well within that walled garden paradigm.

I don't mind, it won't stop me from using iPads. The apple tablets are still the best tablet "experience" you can have , IMO.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
I think there's a size limit to transferring files between apps. Best bet is to convert to mp4 or m4v, then you can stream directly in Dropbox. Also works in Skydrive.

Ok so convert to a iOS friendly format using handbrake, then put it in Dropbox. From there I can play on iOS devices?

Carl Sagan

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2011
The Universe
I've used an iPad every day since the first gen's launch date - and not once have I thought "I really wish I could plug a USB device in". I did buy the camera connection kit, and always use the SD reader, not the USB one.

Yup. It's a false desire, one of those 'I really want x' even though x is rarely if ever used when it's had. Much like a DVD drive on a laptop...

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
Or they could at least increase the usefulness of their existing USB adapter. I use it all the time to connect audio interfaces, microphones, and midi controllers. Why not make it possible to access external drives as well?

Powrie

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
We don't need hardware USB anymore because you can do it with software.

I use a program called File Hub but it used to be called USB flash drive.

Basically it makes your lightning link into a USB.

But what is even better is that you don't have to convert video files. It will upload and play .avi, mkv, ect

And it has more online storage options then vlc

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
We don't need hardware USB anymore because you can do it with software.

I use a program called File Hub but it used to be called USB flash drive.

Basically it makes your lightning link into a USB.

But what is even better is that you don't have to convert video files. It will upload and play .avi, mkv, ect

And it has more online storage options then vlc

That sounds awesome. I'm gonna look into it.

pikachu2k7

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2012
North Carolina
A flashdrive or a printer port would be really nice to use with the iPad. However, a USB would really limit how small/thin Apple could make the iPad.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I just don't get how a company that was so smart, would rather stick to it's guns, and gradually lose significant market share, than add a USB Port that everyone could use?
What evidence do you have that a USB port would drastically improve market share? It seems that you, like most others, simply assume that something that you need/want is something that everyone needs/wants. At least provide some evidence that the lack of a USB port is the driving factor for their loss of market share.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.