Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Oct 19, 2013, 04:40 PM   #1
dilbaggins
macrumors member

iPhone 5s won't turn on (Randomly shut off)

So my barely 1 month old phone decided to randomly shut off and now it won't turn off at all. It hasn't been in contact with water or anything. I slipped the phone into my pocket, and now it won't turn on or show the lock screen. Any help?

----------

Also, when I plug in the phone to my laptop, iTunes does not detect it.
dilbaggins is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2013, 04:48 PM   #2
Tyler23
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilbaggins View Post
So my barely 1 month old phone decided to randomly shut off and now it won't turn off at all. It hasn't been in contact with water or anything. I slipped the phone into my pocket, and now it won't turn on or show the lock screen. Any help?

----------

Also, when I plug in the phone to my laptop, iTunes does not detect it.
Try holding the home button and power button together. If nothing shows up after a minute, let go and you may need to bring it in to Apple.
Tyler23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2013, 08:10 PM   #3
Dave00
macrumors 6502a

I've developed the same issue. My 5s would not turn on, did a hard reset and it came back, but since then have noticed really poor battery life. Today, after having one of the usual quick run downs of the battery, it again completely shut off and this time will not start up even with hard reset. I had about 25% battery life before it shut off completely. I've had it plugged into charger for past hour to no avail.

Anyone know if there's a way to tell if you've got one of the 5s's with the battery defect?

Dave
Dave00 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2013, 12:22 AM   #4
kdf513
macrumors newbie

iPhone continues to restart itself

I am having the same issue. Got my iPhone 5s less than a month ago and I have to keep the phone plugged into the wall to even stay on. Even with that, the phone keeps restarting every 45 seconds to a minute. I did a phone reboot to original settings, thinking that it will fix the problem but to no use. I think I will have to take it to an apple store...any other ideas out there???
kdf513 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2014, 10:11 AM   #5
szopinet
macrumors newbie

Iphone 5s won't turn on

My month old iphone 5s wouldn't turn on after working flawlessly for over a month. Applied the suggestion here to hold the home and power buttons. When I did that, I got an image on the screen that showed that I should plug the phone into iTunes (I had the power supply connected). Even though I've never synched with iTunes, I connected anyway. ITunes quickly found the phone and detected that there was a problem and suggested that I needed a software update. After a few warnings about losing my data and apps, I proceeded with the software update. After about 15 minutes, the process completed and my iphone started working again. My apps and data all appear to be intact.
szopinet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2014, 08:26 PM   #6
The Doctor11
macrumors 68020

Happened to my 1 year old iPhone 4 the other day put in my pocket and every thing was all good and happy. Pull it out 5 minutes latter and it was just dead. Held the power button and nothing happened. I started to get worried but I held the sleep button and the home button at the same time and it was working again. I still don't know why it did this.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting