Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

High-profile KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has released a new research report outlining some of his expectations for Apple October 22 media event, focusing on the company's iPad and Retina MacBook Pro lineups.

In line with our previously summarized expectations, Kuo believes that Apple will be introducing a thinner and lighter fifth-generation iPad, as well as a new iPad mini with Retina display. The latter has been the subject of considerable debate, with some sources believing that Apple is not yet ready to bring Retina displays to the iPad mini, but while Kuo believes that Apple will indeed be able to introduce a Retina iPad mini, supplies will be highly constrained at first.

kuo_oct13_event_1.jpg

Kuo also weighs in on several other rumored additions for the iPad and iPad mini, claiming that "probably" neither a Touch ID fingerprint sensor nor a gold color option will be available in either line. He believes that production of components related to those features are still being prioritized for the iPhone 5s, which remains in very tight supply, and thus will not yet be able to make their way into the iPad lineup.

As for other upgrades, Kuo believes that the fifth-generation iPad will adopt a new A7X chip while the new iPad mini will be equipped with a slightly less powerful A7 chip like the one found in the iPhone 5s. Kuo also reiterates his earlier claim that the rear camera on Apple's new iPads will be upgraded to 8 megapixels. Finally, Kuo believes that both the fifth-generation iPad and the second-generation iPad mini will include Apple's new "M7" chip that debuted in the iPhone 5s, offering significant improvements for motion tracking.

Alongside the iPad updates, Kuo also believes that Apple will be introducing its Retina MacBook Pro on Tuesday, moving to Intel's latest Haswell chips for improved performance and battery life while also upgrading the FaceTime camera to 1080p quality, a claim he has made in the past.

kuo_oct13_event_2.jpg

Overall, Kuo unsurprisingly believes that the new fifth-generation iPad will drive a significant increase in sales for Apple's full-size iPad, while the new iPad mini will result in a more modest bump due to the very tight initial supplies. He also predicts a very strong bump for the Retina MacBook Pro, as pent-up demand for new Haswell models should lead to strong sales heading into the holidays.

Unaddressed is Apple's Mac Pro, which is expected to be given its full introduction on Tuesday in advance of a launch before the end of the year, but Kuo has generally not covered Apple's Mac Pro line in his report.

Kuo has been fairly accurate with his claims over the past several years, earning him significant attention from the rumor community. He has, however, had some misses, as seen with his prediction that the Retina MacBook Pro would be updated at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference back in June. That update had been widely expected, but did not come to pass and customers are still waiting for the new models to appear over four months later.

Article Link: Apple's Media Event Predicted to See Retina iPad Mini and Thinner iPad, but No Touch ID or Gold Option

Last edited:

efktd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2011
USA
Touch ID is one of the greatest implementations ever. iPad 5 needs to have it.

iJayden

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2012
Touch ID would be great on the iPad mini 2, but it's not a deal breaker for me if it doesn't have it.

preyan

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2007
South Africa

Touch ID to do what? Unlock and remember password for App Store? :confused:
I'm fine with remembering my passwords which we have all been doing for years :rolleyes:

I'm ecstatic about mini with retina. Question is, which processor? That will then determine which one I'd get :apple:

Tonzay

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2013
If the MacBoom Pro Retina is getting 120hours of battery life or more, I'm in for it. Anyone with me?

sshhoott

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
There's no way that the iPad will be lacking the Touch ID because if they do include Touch ID on iPads, people would have more faith in the technology as they'll realize Apple's intentions to make this technology really big and expand it to other products and services. This way, more people would end up buying the iPhone 5S.

rainbowsofwhite

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
Kuo has been fairly accurate with his claims over the past several years, earning him significant attention from the rumor community. He has, however, had some misses, as seen with his prediction that the Retina MacBook Pro...

I thought Kuo was a girl?

sshhoott

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
New iPads should have multiple user accounts with iOS 7 especially with their potentially doubled RAM. Pair that with Touch ID, everyone in the family can log in into their own account just by using their finger!

efktd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2011
USA
Touch ID to do what? Unlock and remember password for App Store? :confused:
I'm fine with remembering my passwords which we have all been doing for years :rolleyes:

I'm ecstatic about mini with retina. Question is, which processor? That will then determine which one I'd get :apple:

I'm sure Touch ID will do so much more with future updates besides unlocking and purchases. This is only the beginning. And I think it's a very convenient thing to have.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Wouldn't it be illegal for an analyst to get inside information? I'd expect sources to be more dodgy with analysts than the WSJ for example...

locust76

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2009
A7X in iPad and A7 in iPad Mini wouldn't make much sense... The whole purpose behind the X series was to increase graphics performance to drive the retina display. If both iPads are gonna have a retina display (2048x1536), then the iPad Mini is going to have significantly poorer graphics performance making it worse for games, which would actually probably be on of the primary applications of a smaller iPad, due to it's better "holdability."

joeshmo2010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2009
Seattle, WA
iPad mini 2 NEEDS to have at LEAST a gig of ram. That is the biggest drawback of it. I hate how safari won't keep more than a tab open if you browse another tab or go to another app. It needs more memory big time.

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
Well my work has offered to buy me a new computer and I've delayed it for this Tuesday's event. Here's hoping they give an option for the high-end Iris 5200 in the 13" MBPr. From what I've read the performance gains over the 5100 are substantial. Without that I'll have a hard time justifying the MBPr over the MBA.

maxwelltech

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Irvine, CA, USA
I thought that the new iPad will start at $499 as usual, new iPad minis will start at $379 or $399 and replace the iPad 2, while the 1st gen iPad mini will start at $299. And I also believe that the iPad mini will only have a A6 processor, and the iPad 5 will have Touch ID while the Mini doesn't. Just my thoughts ;)

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
Why put it in now when they can use it as a marketing ploy for next year's iPads?

Apple's now like the auto industry: Out of ideas. Why release driver & passenger side airbags the same model year when you can stagger them out over two? :p

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
I wouldn't be surprised to see TouchID absent from iPads. The sensor is supposedly in short supply, and iPads have different usage patterns to phones. I suspect iPad unlocks per day are a fraction of iPhone unlocks, and the need to unlock an iPad is probably much less urgent in the average case. With a phone you might be in a hurry to take a photo or make a call. With an iPad your likely to be doing something that's going to take longer anyway.

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
I wouldn't be surprised to see TouchID absent from iPads. The sensor is supposedly in short supply, and iPads have different usage patterns to phones. I suspect iPad unlocks per day are a fraction of iPhone unlocks, and the need to unlock an iPad is probably much less urgent in the average case. With a phone you might be in a hurry to take a photo or make a call. With an iPad your likely to be doing something that's going to take longer anyway.

Yeah, but eventually they'll add touch ID, it's just a question of now, or later, I think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.