Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
I hear a lot of talk about the mini and the new iPad getting A7x, what is the fuss will it just be noticeable for graphics? Does it boost any performance speed wise?

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Boost performance as compared to what? The iPad 4? Or the iPhone 5S?
You know how the iPad 2-3 are somewhat sluggish running iOS7 would it run things smoother in that regard? I'm talking about the upcoming iPad with supposed A7x in them set to release.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
You know how the iPad 2-3 are somewhat sluggish running iOS7 would it run things smoother in that regard? I'm talking about the upcoming iPad with supposed A7x in them set to release.

Personally, I thought that iOS 7 runs okay on iPhone 5, but is noticeably smoother on the iPhone 5S. So if that difference carries over to the iPads, then I expect iPad 5 to be noticeably smoother than the iPad 4, and blazingly faster than iPads 2-3.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Personally, I thought that iOS 7 runs okay on iPhone 5, but is noticeably smoother on the iPhone 5S. So if that difference carries over to the iPads, then I expect iPad 5 to be noticeably smoother than the iPad 4, and blazingly faster than iPads 2-3.
Good to know so it would boost performance, thought it might have had something to do with just gaming graphics. I can't wait will be coming over from an iPad 3.

I wouldn't know how the iPhone 5 runs iOS7 as I'm running iOS6 but imagine it'd be a fine. It is no slouch runs fast battery life is great, I won't be upgrading until the bigger screen iPhone 6 and probably iOS8 :)

Breitling65

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2011
I hear a lot of talk about the mini and the new iPad getting A7x, what is the fuss will it just be noticeable for graphics? Does it boost any performance speed wise?

64bit architecture allowing larger memory usage by the applications. That is massive advantage especially for memory hungry games or apps.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007

Short answer: yep!

Medium answer: The A7 (and any A7X version, though don't expect that in the mini...) is a whole new generation on both CPU and GPU. Apple refer to 64 bit being a huge advantage - and it does bring some benefits - but there are other big changes (ARMv8 the main one) that bring noticeable performance benefits to the real world. It doesn't hurt that they've used faster RAM now and if nothing else that should bring major real world benefits to app loading. If you want numbers the A7 CPU is getting on for twice to three times as fast as A6 on most web benchmarks and the GPU is, roughly, on a par with that in the A6X.

So an A7-equipped mini would come with improved CPU performance and roughly equivalent GPU to the A6X. An A7X... well it depends what they do. A graphics boost seems obvious but if the rumours about 2Gb of RAM are correct you wonder if they might be taking their first steps into a quad core CPU as well. We'll find out on Tuesday but if they do go A7 there should be noticeable improvements on all devices that use it.

Long answer: http://anandtech.com/show/7335/the-iphone-5s-review/2 ;)

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
^Awesome stuff guys, and what did the iPad 3 have A5? I can not wait to get my hands on the new full sized one oh boy :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.