Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DanielCoffey

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2010
Edinburgh, UK
You can also drop in a 7950 and flash it if you want a mid-range card. The nVidia 660ti or 670 would be fine.

Use the forum search and also check the big sticky post about nVidia cards.

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Probably not officially, not after this last release of the EFI 7950 and GTX 680, but that's just my thinking. My current workaround is to run one display off the (less than adequate) EFI card that shipped with the Mac Pro, and use a PC card to run my main display and graphics acceleration. That way I get full power with support for up to 5 displays, and an EFI boot screen. And of course, MacVideoCards is always a great option. Quality products there, friends of mine have been more than happy with those cards. Absolutely second that recommendation from sunnyj.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
I would imagine that in future the Radeon cards which are similar in spec to the ati firepro's in the nMP will work, likely through the efforts of the usual suspects who have modded cards for the Mac Pro market.

Hopefully an Ati vendor will release a pci-e card with EFI boot screen, but it won't be evga giving everyone a head start as they're nvidia only iirc..

rjtiedeman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2010
Stamford, CT
Probably not officially, not after this last release of the EFI 7950 and GTX 680, but that's just my thinking. My current workaround is to run one display off the (less than adequate) EFI card that shipped with the Mac Pro, and use a PC card to run my main display and graphics acceleration. That way I get full power with support for up to 5 displays, and an EFI boot screen. And of course, MacVideoCards is always a great option. Quality products there, friends of mine have been more than happy with those cards. Absolutely second that recommendation from sunnyj.

I unfortunately agree. My 2010 Mac Pro 5,1 (6 core 3.33) tower is becoming redundant. I primarily use Adobe CS Photoshop, Illustrator and Nemetchek Vectorworks for cad so I am leaning toward the GTX 680 for mac. I don't have the patience for messing with products that are really meant for PCs. I find it unfortunate that apple has left the Mac Pro hanging all these years and now tosses us a bone with 2 GPUs at the last minute before they pull the plug.

Bob T

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.