Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Valkyre

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
Can someone help me understand how iphone battery .... works??

I have noticed that some days... the phone has EXCEPTIONAL battery and other days i have drain for no apparent reason...

Let me explain:

Before I start though, please keep in mind that both situations I explain further down are with completely charged phone, with no apps in the background and the EXACT same settings.

So here it is:

On the one day, after a full charge, I leave the phone doing nothing (standby) with everything on (3G, Wifi, LTE, location on etc etc) and the phone after 6 hours loses only 1-2% of battery and is at 99-98% charge. PERFECT.

The next day, I am doing the EXACT same thing. Charge the phone, everything ON as the last day, leave the phone in standby for 6 hours doing absolutely nothing, and ... BAM! Battery is at 85%....

I mean... why? What is happening that is so different from one day to the other?

I look at my usage at the example of 85% day and I see a lot of "used time" when in fact i havent even touched the phone. And as I said background apps are all closed.

Why is the phone battery performance incosistent from one day to the other? Are you experiencing something similar?

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
Just use your phone and stop sweating the little things.

How nice it must be for this to be what occupies your day.

Valkyre

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
Just use your phone and stop sweating the little things.

How nice it must be for this to be what occupies your day.

Whats with the insults??

You dont want to help? cool, dont read, dont reply...

Do you go on each and every thread in this forum telling people to stop sweating?

Please go and do something better in your awesome busy day, other than post in some uninteresting forum about "little things".

Would appreciate someone with a proper reply for a change.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
Whats with the insults??

You dont want to help? cool, dont read, dont reply...

Do you go on each and every thread in this forum telling people to stop sweating?

Please go and do something better in your awesome busy day, other than post in some uninteresting forum about "little things".

Would appreciate someone with a proper reply for a change.

My comments were not an insult! Just an observation.
It is YOU that took it as an insult!

MiniMoke

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2009
Black River, Mauritius
Does this happen in the same locations?

Plus, when your cellular signal is normally low, weather changes can affect the connection strength and cause more battery usage.

Background app updates?

Anything can cause this

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
It could be a few things.

Most likely, signal strength.

Weak Signal Strength can drain the battery insanely fast because the phone is constantly straining to achieve a better connection.

Second, background location services.

iPhones track location infrequently in the background, for things like adjusting time, tracking where singal strength is low, etc etc.

It may be possible that this happens on some days and not others.

Third, number of emails, messages, notifications received.

Somedays your phone is busier than others :)

Or with iOS 7, it could have background App Updates, either from the App Store, or app background refresh.

Valkyre

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
It could be a few things.

Most likely, signal strength.

Weak Signal Strength can drain the battery insanely fast because the phone is constantly straining to achieve a better connection.

Second, background location services.

iPhones track location infrequently in the background, for things like adjusting time, tracking where singal strength is low, etc etc.

It may be possible that this happens on some days and not others.

Third, number of emails, messages, notifications received.

Somedays your phone is busier than others :)

Or with iOS 7, it could have background App Updates, either from the App Store, or app background refresh.

Thank you for that thorough reply. Much appreciated.

Signal strength is something I did not know I admit. Is it something that counts as "used time" in the usage indicator? Because i have noticed that when this drain happens the phone reports big usage times that are wrong compared to the actual time I used it. No the usage time and standby times are not the same. But the usage time is definetely wrong the days when this happens.

If weak signal counts as "used time" then I can explain the entire situation.

----------

Does this happen in the same locations?

Plus, when your cellular signal is normally low, weather changes can affect the connection strength and cause more battery usage.

Background app updates?

Anything can cause this

its the same locations but it is true the signal sometimes varies. like I said to the friend above, this could explain the difference I see from day to day battery performance.

Today for example my phone reports Used Time and Standby time perfectly accurate. 57 mins used time and 12 hours of standby and my battery is at 93%, which is of course... PERFECT.

Other days though like I said I get readings of 3 hours of "used time" when in fact i am nowhere close to that.

The signal is the only explanation, as long as signal, counts as used time. Its not like I get no signal at all, that never happens but I am in an area where i get 1 or 2 out of 5 dots of signal.

largefarrva

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2012
My 5s does the same exact thing. With the same exact conditions one day it will show battery life acting normal (very slow battery life remaining going down) and the next it can show a 1% drop in a matter of a couple of minutes. I've seen it go down to 90% in the matter of about 10-15 minutes.

My solution to fix this.....reboot the phone on those days it's going down quickly. After the reboot it shows 100% (or maybe as low as 98-99% if I let it get down fairly low) battery life. See if that "fixes" your issue the next time it happens.

Valkyre

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
My 5s does the same exact thing. With the same exact conditions one day it will show battery life acting normal (very slow battery life remaining going down) and the next it can show a 1% drop in a matter of a couple of minutes. I've seen it go down to 90% in the matter of about 10-15 minutes.

My solution to fix this.....reboot the phone on those days it's going down quickly. After the reboot it shows 100% (or maybe as low as 98-99% if I let it get down fairly low) battery life. See if that "fixes" your issue the next time it happens.

Will try this, thanks for the feedback! :)

largefarrva

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2012
No problem at all. The first time I saw the erratic battery life behavior I was also quite concerned there was a problem with my phone...but I ran across another thread here and saw someone suggested rebooting the phone. Worked like a charm for me. Just another bug that Apple can fix with an update...no big deal at all.

largefarrva

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2012
In fact, this problem occurred just now. Played a quick game of Spades Pro (not a graphically intense game at all) right after unplugging my phone. It went from 100% down to 97% in the matter of about 5 minutes. Rebooted my phone and it's back to 100% like it should be.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
To add what someone else said. In my experience with several iPhones over different vendors over a bunch of years I have found that signal strength seems to be one of the critical issues in battery life. I worked in a building with poor signal strength and my battery would go down very quickly. On weekends when I was home with a great signal battery life would be great.
All the things that your phone does from getting email to location stuff etc. if there is a poor signal you phone may have to take longer to do things or have to retry to get something done.
You can't help the signal strength but it is something to keep in mind when looking at and when reporting issues on this board. etc.

nlkccom

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2008
In fact, this problem occurred just now. Played a quick game of Spades Pro (not a graphically intense game at all) right after unplugging my phone. It went from 100% down to 97% in the matter of about 5 minutes. Rebooted my phone and it's back to 100% like it should be.

Something like this happens to me quite a few times. Whenever I noticed the battery was draining faster than usual, I'd just restart the phone, and the battery % goes up some percentages. Very strange. Hope apple will fix this.

Valkyre

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
Something like this happens to me quite a few times. Whenever I noticed the battery was draining faster than usual, I'd just restart the phone, and the battery % goes up some percentages. Very strange. Hope apple will fix this.

Ιndeed I confirm this happens in my case as well.

Tried it yesterday when after a full charge the phone went to 95% in just 1-2 hours of standby. I restarted the phone and batter went up to 98%.

This is weird.

Now does anone know if poor signal counts as used time in usage indicator? Because sometimes I see the phone having a lot of used time that certainly is not accurate. No it is not same used time and standby time, it just shows used time of 3 hours when in reality it is just 1 hour. That means that the phone while sleeping was in use. Could that be because of poor signal?

Rat-Boy

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Georgia
Mine is even worse than what is reported here.

I will be on it, and it will drop from 40% to 1% just reading an email.

Then as soon as I plug it in to charge, it jumps to 38%.

Then it shuts down completely at 22%.

Then I turn it back on, and it still says 22% and shuts down again in 5 minutes.

Then I turn it on again and purposely drain it and it shuts down a second time and I turn it back on and it says 10%.

Then I finally drain it again and it shuts down and I assume it is completely dead now. Then I charged it over night and unplugged.

And now I am typing this message.

Its been doing this for weeks now but I can't figure out why and haven't really tried any fixes.

I was wondering if you could wipe the OS entirely from an iPhone and reinstall it? Is there an easy way to do that?

Valkyre

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
Mine is even worse than what is reported here.

I will be on it, and it will drop from 40% to 1% just reading an email.

Then as soon as I plug it in to charge, it jumps to 38%.

Then it shuts down completely at 22%.

Then I turn it back on, and it still says 22% and shuts down again in 5 minutes.

Then I turn it on again and purposely drain it and it shuts down a second time and I turn it back on and it says 10%.

Then I finally drain it again and it shuts down and I assume it is completely dead now. Then I charged it over night and unplugged.

And now I am typing this message.

Its been doing this for weeks now but I can't figure out why and haven't really tried any fixes.

I was wondering if you could wipe the OS entirely from an iPhone and reinstall it? Is there an easy way to do that?

Perhaps your battery indicator is messed up? Try and do once more a full cycle charge and see if the battery indicator is calibrated properly.

If not, then maybe a restore is the only option unfortunately...

Rat-Boy

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Georgia
Perhaps your battery indicator is messed up? Try and do once more a full cycle charge and see if the battery indicator is calibrated properly.

If not, then maybe a restore is the only option unfortunately...

Is this easy to do?

I am willing to try it if I know how or it is an easy process.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.