Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Boost Mobile will begin offering the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c on November 8, according to a press release issued by the company this morning. Boost Mobile is a prepaid subsidiary of Sprint and will begin offering the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c with its standard monthly unlimited plan and "Shrinking Payments" service offer with no annual contracts, which allows a customer to take $5 off of their monthly payment for every 6 on-time service payments.

boost_mobile_logo-500x64.jpg
Aside from a release date and plan details, Boost Mobile has not offered pricing info for either phone, but it is likely that the device prices will be competitive with other prepaid carriers. The November 8 launch on Boost Mobile also coincides with U.S. Cellular's iPhone launch. For both U.S. Cellular and Boost, this will be the first time they have officially carried any iPhone models.

The iPhone has long been rumored to come to Boost Mobile, with TechnoBuffalo inaccurately projecting earlier this year that the iPhone was to arrive on Boost Mobile in September, followed by a rumor in June stating that the iPhone would come to Boost Mobile in Q3 2013.

Supplies of Apple's iPhone 5s remain constrained, with estimated shipping times from the Apple Store remaining at 2 to 3 weeks in the United States. iPhone 5c supplies remain plentiful, with all models and capacities shipping within 24 hours.

Article Link: Boost Mobile to Offer iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c on November 8

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Boost is a Sprint MVNO that sells mostly "last year's phones" at full price. They currently promote the Galaxy SIII for $399. I'm not sure how well the $549 iPhone 5c and $649 iPhone 5s will go down with their customer base. I suspect they'll do the same as Virgin and discount it a bit, so maybe we'll see them offer a "$399" iPhone 5c and "$499" iPhone 5s.

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
Good Alternative to ATT?

Is Boost a good Alternative to ATT? My plan is up next spring and I'm not getting suckered into another two year plan when my upgrade is available in Dec. I really want to go with a prepaid plan or at least one of these really cheap services. How is Boost or Cricket?

NoCleverSNForMe

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2003
Is Boost a good Alternative to ATT? My plan is up next spring and I'm not getting suckered into another two year plan when my upgrade is available in Dec. I really want to go with a prepaid plan or at least one of these really cheap services. How is Boost or Cricket?

Boost is Sprint without roaming. So if you have good Sprint service in your area, you will get good Boost service.

Cricket runs their own towers. In some areas (like mine), they roam entirely on the Sprint network. However, AT&T just bought Cricket and they're planning on converting them to GSM over the next 12-18 months. So eventually, Cricket will run on the AT&T network and be their branded prepaid division. For right now, they run on a combination of their own network and Sprint.

----------

Seems like everyone is getting the iPhone. Their room to expand shrinking.

I don't think they'll ever do it, but if they made a more budget-friendly iPhone and sold it for $399, it would sell like hotcakes in the US and all over the world.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I don't think they'll ever do it, but if they made a more budget-friendly iPhone and sold it for $399, it would sell like hotcakes in the US and all over the world.

As proven by the success of the iPhone 5c.

Or do you mean "if they made a phone worth $650 and sold it for $400, it would sell like hotcakes"? Sure it would. And Apple would be losing money, which is why they aren't going to do it.

mrobit

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
Great to see it's coming to U.S. Cellular. I would have stayed on with them if they had offered the iPhone sooner, but at the time they had a pretty lackluster lineup of phones and I was getting sick of getting a new Android that would be buggy from the get-go.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Cue the "How can they sell the millionaire Ferrari phone only for people like me at a prepaid store" comments. :rolleyes:

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
As proven by the success of the iPhone 5c.

Or do you mean "if they made a phone worth $650 and sold it for $400, it would sell like hotcakes"? Sure it would. And Apple would be losing money, which is why they aren't going to do it.

I think your prices for calculating "losing money" are a bit off. Sice you are claiming Apple sells it at cost for $650. But not surprising.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
But why? I thought Android phones had nearly the entire market? Why do all these carriers want to sell the iPhone?

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Granted, I don't know anyone that uses Boost Mobile, that "Shrinking Payments" system they created is brilliant.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008

If you have good coverage check out T-Mobile, especially if you can sign up for a family plan. In my experience T-Mobile's coverage > Sprint and their customer service has been bearable.

FirstNTenderbit

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
Atlanta
But why? I thought Android phones had nearly the entire market? Why do all these carriers want to sell the iPhone?

Like most other businesses, they see an opportunity to make more money. It's not like they will stop selling Androids. They are looking to expand their options for their customers. I think it's a win for Apple and all of the MVNO suppliers.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Here ya go.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-10-21 at 1.03.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-21 at 1.03.50 PM.png
    315.2 KB · Views: 149

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011

No they are not. For starters your current hardware does not work with what they offer.

My recommendation: There is a list of AT&T based pre-paid carriers. I currently use Net10 and I love them $45. Straight Talk is good too. Another option is Airvoice Wireless $40. You can take your current phone(s) there once your contract is up and then upgrade on your own terms.

I am hanging on to my 4s on Net10 until September

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I recently left BM for Straight Talk which uses the AT&T network, far superior to BM. Buying an iPhone to connect to BM is like throwing money in the street. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.