Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amdhunter

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
I'll probably take it to the Apple store in a few days - but I am wondering if anyone else is going through this.

I use my phone in bed and when it's charging I get a burning sensation if any metal part of the phone touches my skin. This occurs whether I am using the charge port on my Microsoft Surface, Macbook Air or the included wall charger. It's my first phone with the new charger, and I am only using official Apple cables.

Also, occasionally when passing past certain areas, (59th street bridge especially for some odd reason) if I have the phone in my hand - I'll feel like the phone has electricity (or static) moving across the body. This is just holding the phone in hand - not charging it.

It's weird; anyone else seen this issue? I don't want to keep the phone because I'm afraid it'll explode or something, but am afraid that I won't be able to convince an Apple tech to replace it. FWIW, the phone is in absolutely mint condition, so I could just return it if anything.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
I couldn't help but get a chuckle out of the first paragraph. :D

take it to apple if you feel it's not right.

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
I'll probably take it to the Apple store in a few days - but I am wondering if anyone else is going through this.

I use my phone in bed and when it's charging I get a burning sensation if any metal part of the phone touches my skin. This occurs whether I am using the charge port on my Microsoft Surface, Macbook Air or the included wall charger. It's my first phone with the new charger, and I am only using official Apple cables.

Also, occasionally when passing past certain areas, (59th street bridge especially for some odd reason) if I have the phone in my hand - I'll feel like the phone has electricity (or static) moving across the body. This is just holding the phone in hand - not charging it.

It's weird; anyone else seen this issue? I don't want to keep the phone because I'm afraid it'll explode or something, but am afraid that I won't be able to convince an Apple tech to replace it. FWIW, the phone is in absolutely mint condition, so I could just return it if anything.

what else is plugged in? This is not uncommon, its more than likely static electricity or a grounding issue with that outlet. My Mac Mini use to give the electric touch feel when I was barefoot on carpet and ran my hand on top of it. It's stop doing that, not sure if its do to the surge protector I added

amdhunter

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
what else is plugged in? This is not uncommon, its more than likely static electricity or a grounding issue with that outlet. My Mac Mini use to give the electric touch feel when I was barefoot on carpet and ran my hand on top of it. It's stop doing that, not sure if its do to the surge protector I added

Yeah, I Googled a bit and found others complaining. I have a slightly different issue though - handling the phone, with no charger, I occasionally get a "vibrating" feeling from it. I swear it happens when I get on the 59th street bridge, or the entrance to the FDR drive north at 60th street almost every time. lol. I'm not sure why, but the phone has electricity pulsating through the metal frame. Maybe when it's switching towers?

I do NOT want to trade this phone in - it's immaculate, no scratches - no nothing. I have my clear case on perfectly with no dust or anything. It's perfect. lol

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
Yeah, I Googled a bit and found others complaining. I have a slightly different issue though - handling the phone, with no charger, I occasionally get a "vibrating" feeling from it. I swear it happens when I get on the 59th street bridge, or the entrance to the FDR drive north at 60th street almost every time. lol. I'm not sure why, but the phone has electricity pulsating through the metal frame. Maybe when it's switching towers?

I do NOT want to trade this phone in - it's immaculate, no scratches - no nothing. I have my clear case on perfectly with no dust or anything. It's perfect. lol

oh with no charge... yeah definitely not right. Apple stores usually have stocks just for replacements on hand so you won't have to wait. write or call Apple they may reimburse you for the clear case. I doubt the store will reimburse.

Xerotech

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
That sounds rather dangerous and you should trade it in immediately. The only time my phone gets warm is during graphic intensive apps or charging. Not so much of a burning sensation, but a little warm + tingling.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

Do you know if there are any metal detectors or some kind of other scanning equipment in use there?

The building where I work takes security issues seriously because of the work we do, and they have magnetic scanners at the security checkpoint for the entrance. If I hold my 5s in my hand while going through that checkpoint, it will vibrate at a low, strong, noticeable rate. It's been known for a long time among my co-workers and the security folks that if you have a Blackberry or other device with magnets in it, they will react with the scanner and vibrate. It's not harmful to the device, or you. It's not been an issue noticed for iPhone users, up until the 5s came out though.

There might be something with a component in the 5s (the M7 chip? different compass module?) that has a stronger magnetic field than previous versions, causing this. Again, it seems to be harmless so far.

The charging/burning thing though, I've not experienced at all. You should probably get that checked out.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
If my phone were acting like this, I wouldn't be posting on here asking about it, I would be returning it. :confused: I mean surely anyone with a brain wouldn't think twice and would immediately return a phone that was shocking/burning them? Are you making this up? Just seems odd.

Last edited:

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004

My Alu MBP does that if you run your fingertip over the palmrests. Seems to be a grounding issue.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
My Alu MBP does that if you run your fingertip over the palmrests. Seems to be a grounding issue.

That is all good and fine but he says it happens without the charger which I feel is hard to believe. when he said it really happens at certin locations, well he lost me.:p

As far as the phone giving to OP a "burning sensation if any metal part of the phone touches my skin". . . . well I am having trouble with that too!

Last edited:

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
iphone-fire-650x0.jpg

amdhunter

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
That is all good and fine but he says it happens without the charger which I feel is hard to believe. when he said it really happens at certin locations, well he lost me.:p

As far as the phone giving to OP a "burning sensation if any metal part of the phone touches my skin". . . . well I am having trouble with that too!

I'm dead serious. It seriously feels like when someone is holding a lit cigarette just enough for you to feel it. Sting-y. It's not a terrible OMGWTFBBQ IT BURNS sensation, but a mild enough sting that reminds me of a mosquito as it bites you.

And yeah, I swear, going onto the ramp near the 60th street entrance to the FDR will make the phone electrify, I don't know why. I've noticed it there twice.

scotrinaf

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
Blountville, TN
If your iPhone is doing this only while plugged in to the wall charger, I'd say you have a faulty charger and to replace it, if your phone is doing this on battery power, you are either experiencing some type of static electricity build up, or you have really sensitive skin... DC current from the battery will not shock you under normal circumstances.... Want proof? Go touch both terminals on your 12v car battery at the same time with your bare hands...

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
Not sure if you're serious here but I'll go along with it...

Your iPhone should NOT be shocking you or burning you in anyway. Return it immediately to Apple. Yeah, alright, it may be a great phone but would you rather keep it and risk getting a proper serious electrical shock or burns on your body?

Don't be an idiot. Return the phone.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
I'm dead serious. It seriously feels like when someone is holding a lit cigarette just enough for you to feel it. Sting-y. It's not a terrible OMGWTFBBQ IT BURNS sensation, but a mild enough sting that reminds me of a mosquito as it bites you.

And yeah, I swear, going onto the ramp near the 60th street entrance to the FDR will make the phone electrify, I don't know why. I've noticed it there twice.

I think you must be over sensitive. No way you phone should feel like it is shocking you without it being charged. Even with the charger plugged in and a bad ground, you should only feel a slight vibration when moving your finger over the phone.

For the phone to get hot enough to burn you, the battery would be dead in no time.

The Apple people are going to test your phone and hand it back to you.

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
Do you know if there are any metal detectors or some kind of other scanning equipment in use there?

The building where I work takes security issues seriously because of the work we do, and they have magnetic scanners at the security checkpoint for the entrance. If I hold my 5s in my hand while going through that checkpoint, it will vibrate at a low, strong, noticeable rate. It's been known for a long time among my co-workers and the security folks that if you have a Blackberry or other device with magnets in it, they will react with the scanner and vibrate. It's not harmful to the device, or you. It's not been an issue noticed for iPhone users, up until the 5s came out though.

There might be something with a component in the 5s (the M7 chip? different compass module?) that has a stronger magnetic field than previous versions, causing this. Again, it seems to be harmless so far.

The charging/burning thing though, I've not experienced at all. You should probably get that checked out.

The scanning equipment makes devices shake but trust us, it's safe. Lolz. Had a sperm count done lately or are your kids all girls? Lolz.

notemused

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
iPhone 5S getting hot - fire

My new iPhone 5s caught fire second day of use. They are working on the problem however it's been six days and no mention of getting me a replacement iphone 5s. I'm pretty frustrated. I'm following their protocol but they will not say they are replacing it!?!?!?! I don't have a phone as I wait.

----------

I forgot to mention. My iphone was NOT plugged into a charger.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
My new iPhone 5s caught fire second day of use. They are working on the problem however it's been six days and no mention of getting me a replacement iphone 5s. I'm pretty frustrated. I'm following their protocol but they will not say they are replacing it!?!?!?! I don't have a phone as I wait.

I forgot to mention. My iphone was NOT plugged into a charger.

What??? Fire? Do you have pictures?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.