Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

user123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Call me crazy but I like my wife's Iphone 4 over my 5. Why ? From what I can tell, minimal performance difference, and the 4 fits in your blue jeans front pocket better. I stopped using belt clips a long time ago.

I use it for voicecalls, WhatsApp, skype, web surfing, email. Not heavy photo user and zero video user.

Just my two cents

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
If I could get the iPhone 5's hardware in the casing of the iPhone 4, I'd be lined up outside an Apple Store to get one.

mirz2000

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2013
US
The 4 was pretty awesome, it is true! I think it is funny that technology focused on making devices smaller and smaller, and now lately devices are getting larger again. It's feels counter intuitive to start buying larger devices again. I do love the 5S, though... and it is thinner and lighter, so smaller in that regard. Though the larger screen is great, I don't feel like I would want the screen to get any bigger, or, like you said, it wouldn't fit in pockets and purse cell phone compartments as easily.

As it is, a lot of purse cell phone pockets were designed for devices that were iPhone 4 sized... sometimes it still works, but I had to nix a couple on my latest purse shopping trip, since they stuck out so far as to keep the purse from zipping shut... :eek:

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Call me crazy but I like my wife's Iphone 4 over my 5. Why ? From what I can tell, minimal performance difference, and the 4 fits in your blue jeans front pocket better. I stopped using belt clips a long time ago.

I use it for voicecalls, WhatsApp, skype, web surfing, email. Not heavy photo user and zero video user.

Just my two cents

The performance change from my 4S to my new 5S wasn't minimal.

So I think the difference between the 4 and 5 is the same feel as the 4S to the 5S. Which, in my opinion was a pretty decent upgrade.

My room mate had an iPhone 4 before his 5S, and it felt slow, laggy and just generally performed poorly compared to my 4S even.

As as the phone fitting better in your pockets, the phones height only increased by .5" so it's not really a huge phone so I don't see how it could be a problem. I guess if you're a minimal user, the 4 would be fine, but the 5 will give you an overall better experience.

Last edited:

Namji

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2010
I think it is funny that technology focused on making devices smaller and smaller, and now lately devices are getting larger again. It's feels counter intuitive to start buying larger devices again.

Yep.. you guys remember this phone? Motorola Vader
motorola_vader_v_8160_gsm_digitel_venta_de_celulares_usados_motorola_en_venezuela-4d2cc384b9feb37645ae8a05c.jpg

motorola-vader.gif

Cutterschoice

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2012
Ha ha I had that phone, saved for ages to get it, as for the OP I love the size of my 4s, sort of wish they would just ditch the 5c and move back to the 4/s size and update it and make a bigger iphone for those that want it.

Aucun Express

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2009
I loved the iPhone 4, but when I touch one now, I feel it is extremely heavy, compared to the lightness of the iPhone 5/5S.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
For me, the performance increase from a 4 to a 5 was huge. The speed alone was a major jump not to mention the better screen.
Also, I never put my phone in my front pocket of my blue jeans.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I love the bigger screen on the 5S, but hate how it feels in my pocket when I have to sit in the car. IDK how guys in particular w/ bigger screens are comfortable carrying the huge android phones to be honest.

jtfish

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2013
I just upgraded to the 5s and I agree that, except for the thickness, the 4s size was better IMO. I hope the rumors of a phablet sized iPhone are wrong.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have a personal hatred for the 4 and the 4s. I waited a full year to get my first iPhone because I wanted to avoid that model.

The iPhone 5 is perfect. Metal, no glass back, thin light and most importantly SOLID BLACK. No stainless steel ring marring the finish, it's all black. And the way the chamfered edges fit in my hand is awesome. And the 5 fits just right in my left side cargo jean pocket. When I'm in the car it rides in the center column and not the pocket though. Too easy to slide out.

That is just my personal preference. What others use is their preference and I don't knock them for it.

Kel84

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2013
I love the feel of my fiances 4 but since having the 5 I'm easily bugged by the small screen size

Krabba

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2013
Charlotte, NC USA
crazy ? prefer my wifes 4 over my 5

I loved the iPhone 4, but when I touch one now, I feel it is extremely heavy, compared to the lightness of the iPhone 5/5S.

That is the same experience I have. Picked my wife's 4S up just this morning and it felt like a brick compared to my 5s. The screen also looks impossibly small. Funny how that works.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
The 4 looks better in every way with steel and glass that doesn't scratch easily. The 5S has cheap fake aluminum and if you got the white one, the white in the front looks good, but the white in the back is actually an ugly yellow-light grey color.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
The 4 looks better in every way with steel and glass that doesn't scratch easily. The 5S has cheap fake aluminum and if you got the white one, the white in the front looks good, but the white in the back is actually an ugly yellow-light grey color.

I did like the glass/steel combo, but the 5S doesn't feel cheap at all, despite it's feather light feel. My white/silver 5S isn't a yellow light grey color? What are you talking about? The back has two white glass portions and the metal portion is a regular silver color. No yellow what so ever.

Haters gonna hate.

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
4 looked great when it came out, but the 5 and now especially the 5S is better in every single way. Would never go back to a 4/4S at this point.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007

Just my two cents
Get a 4s. It's even better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.