Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple will launch 55- and 65-inch 4K ultra-high definition televisions late next year, if an analyst report from Masahiko Ishino at Advanced Research Japan is to be believed.

appletv.png
Bloomberg shared the report, claiming the displays will have a frameless design with suppliers including LG for display panels, Samsung for graphical processing, and Corning's Gorilla Glass 3 for glass covers with units priced from $1,500 to $2,500. Foxconn would be used for final assembly for initial delivery in the fourth quarter of 2014, according to the analyst.

A number of companies released 4K ultra-high definition displays earlier this year, but they remain prohibitively expensive for the average consumer. We have no indication of reliability for predictions by Masahiko Ishino or Advanced Research Japan.

Earlier this year, an extremely sketchy report from Taiwan's Economic Daily News claimed Corning, Foxconn, G-Tech Optoelectronics and display maker Innolux were working with Apple on a new television product.

Article Link: Analyst Claims Apple Launching 55- and 65-Inch 4K Televisions Late Next Year

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
"Apple will launch a 60" inch iPad later this decade." - Analyst haruhiko from MacRumors.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
Awesome! A good year before the product arrives and we already know what it'll look like, who will produce it, who will manufacture it, and best of all, price point! I love analyst and their silly dreams

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
thats one bold prediction.

How or why would Apple undercut competition when it comes to building a television?

ryedarrow

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2012
No way

$1,500 for a 55" 4k... Not gonna happen.

I'm just hoping the upgraded 27" displays with 4k are under $1500

arbitrage

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2009
OK....so Apple is going to come out with the cheapest 4K TVs....yeah....okayyyy...thanks for that Mr. Analyst. I guess by the end of 2014 the prices may come down to these levels but right now we are about $4000 over these prices.

macred

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2013
LAX & beyond
After years of speculation & rumors, these ought to sell to those who are simply curious. Apples marketing machine is sure to create demand. Especially as Apple is establishing quite the presence in gadgets & consumer electronics.

xVeinx

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2006
California
Is there going to be a delivery method and selection of movies in that format by that point? Netflix is already stretching things enough! With H.265 on the horizon, we may have a solution, but it just seems like it's too soon...

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
Content?

While I'm glad that higher resolution is finally the "next big thing" and not the lame 3D glasses that everyone was trying to sell for the past several years; what kind of options will there be for 4k content delivery.

I'm fairly picky about what I watch on my current, 58" Plasma and hate to see the play-doh like compression artifacts that cable TV often hands me during sports and other shows with lots of movement, and that's just at 1080i/p. Is 4k even going to be offered by any of the providers soon?

I know I've heard that the Sony and Netflix are considering it, but with a lot of broadband providers capping downloads, will we start bumping into those?

Is Blu-Ray going to be able to have enough headroom for the high quality, 4k bit-rates?

So many questions!

iisdan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2010
We have been hearing this for years, I am never expecting this and to be honest I'm just really not interested in any future apple products after how amateur and ugly iOS7 was. I used to be a huge fan.

Why hang your kids school work on the fridge when apple has amateur kindergarden looking **** to show on your tv now!

ugly.jpg

Last edited:

Xerotech

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
That's rather cheap for a 4K TV. I don't think Apple will enter the market yet though. There isn't much 4K content. Apple makes a lot of money off of software/content purchases. Selling a straight up TV isn't going to cut it for them.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Year away.

TV Business is cut throat.

Will there really be any difference compared to the few hundred other TV's that will be basically the same thing?

Yawn.

Yawn again.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Eh. Prices on 4K are still high. Granted Apple will charge a premium inevitably and say it's the next best thing since sliced bread. Meh.

Rad99004

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2009
4K is great but when 55" HD television sets are selling for $799 its difficult for me to shell out $700 more for something that has so little content available.

jwestveer

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2009
here
aaahhh, the apple tv mantra.

aaahhh, the apple tv mantra. I want a tv, i want a tv, i want a tv.

If the press says it over and over, it must be true......NOT.

CptSky

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2013
While I'm glad that higher resolution is finally the "next big thing" and not the lame 3D glasses that everyone was trying to sell for the past several years; what kind of options will there be for 4k content delivery.

I'm fairly picky about what I watch on my current, 58" Plasma and hate to see the play-doh like compression artifacts that cable TV often hands me during sports and other shows with lots of movement, and that's just at 1080i/p. Is 4k even going to be offered by any of the providers soon?

I know I've heard that the Sony and Netflix are considering it, but with a lot of broadband providers capping downloads, will we start bumping into those?

Is Blu-Ray going to be able to have enough headroom for the high quality, 4k bit-rates?

So many questions!

I agree with you. I still don't have all channels in 1080i and some have a lot of compression artifacts. I don't see 2160i (4k) coming soon... The BD format would need a new standard to handle 4K videos too, and it will take some time to get the updated players and the actual materials (hey, lot of movies are still only on DVD, and you want to push 4K while the HD transition is still not finished ?). I've seen few movies which are mastered in 4K, but it's still a 1080p blu-ray...

By the way, Blu-ray defines BDXL format which is up to 128 GB on a single disc. With H.265, it's clearly way more than it need to encode 4K movies. It just need a new standard to add both as a required compatibility for 4K players (the H.265 standard was finalized this year, still a lot to do...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.