Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rat-Boy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
Georgia
So, I started noticing this with iOS 7 on my iPhone 5 and I have drained it dead and charged to try to calibrate, but I really don't think there is a battery hardware issue.

Battery will show 40%, then while I am on the phone doing something, it will drop to 1%. Then I plug the cord in to charge like most would, and it jumps instantly back up to 38%. Then at 22%, the phone dies. Then I just wait, turn it back on, and back to 22%.

I really can't figure this out.

So my question is, should I wipe the phone and re-install iOS 7 entirely? If so, is there an easy way to do this?

Sorry for the noob question.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
Several have reported simular problems. I am thinking it is a software problem and will be fixed in the next OS update

Rat-Boy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
Georgia
Several have reported simular problems. I am thinking it is a software problem and will be fixed in the next OS update

Ah, is there an existing thread you know of and can find easily?

If so, I would love to nuke this one and research that one.

I will also obviously search for it.

Thanks for the lightening fast reply. :)

----------

Love the title of this thread... LOL

I have 2 iPhone 5 phones running iOS 7.0.? and no problems...

Yea, neither does my wife. Hers is fine.

That is why I am stumped and decided to finally reach out here where the smart people are. ;)

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
Ah, is there an existing thread you know of and can find easily?

If so, I would love to nuke this one and research that one.

I will also obviously search for it.

Thanks for the lightening fast reply. :)

----------

Yea, neither does my wife. Hers is fine.

That is why I am stumped and decided to finally reach out here where the smart people are. ;)

Just one of the first page: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1656756/

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
Mine was doing basically the same thing. I sold it so I couldn't tell ya if there's a fix

Aidy06

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2011
Had the exact same problem with my iPhone 5, had a Genius Bar appointment and they swapped it out after a diagnostic test

Rat-Boy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
Georgia
Had the exact same problem with my iPhone 5, had a Genius Bar appointment and they swapped it out after a diagnostic test

Ah, interesting. Hadn't thought it would be hardware but I guess it could be.

Thanks all.

Maybe I will start with the Apple store and then do a restore if I need to.

Aidy06

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2011
Ah, interesting. Hadn't thought it would be hardware but I guess it could be.

Thanks all.

Maybe I will start with the Apple store and then do a restore if I need to.

I did 3 restores before going in-store, they hooked it up to the diagnostic app they run and he said my battery had some serious issues and it was performing well below par and swapped it out

Rat-Boy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
Georgia
I did 3 restores before going in-store, they hooked it up to the diagnostic app they run and he said my battery had some serious issues and it was performing well below par and swapped it out

Wow, ok.

I think I know what to do then. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.