Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today unveiled new 13 and 15-inch Retina MacBook Pros, which have been updated with Intel's latest processors for enhanced performance and significantly improved battery life. The 13-inch version features a Haswell processor, while the 15-inch version comes equipped with a Crystal Well processor.

While the 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro retains the same form factor as its predecessor, the 13-inch version is now thinner, with both versions measuring in at 0.71-inches thick. With the new processors, the 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro will now have 9 hours of battery life, while the 15-inch version will have 8 hours of battery life.

f1382463056.jpg
"We've made the world's best pro notebook even better by adding more performance and even longer battery life," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. "MacBook Pro with Retina display continues to redefine the pro notebook."
The 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro now features dual-core Intel Core i5 processors up to 2.6Ghz, with Intel's integrated Iris graphics for 90 percent faster performance than the previous generation. At an added cost, the 13-inch version can be upgraded with 2.8Ghz dual-core Intel i7 processors.

The 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro features quad-core Intel Core i7 processors up to 2.6Ghz (via add-on), with Intel's Iris Pro 5200 Integrated Graphics. A GeForce GT 750M discrete graphics card with 2GB of video memory can also be added on

In addition to improved Intel chips, the new MacBooks feature 802.11ac "Gigabit" Wi-Fi compatibility, which offers speeds up to three times as fast as existing 802.11n wireless networks. They have also gained dual Thunderbolt 2 ports and PCIe flash storage, which pushes peak read/write performance to nearly 800 MB/s, a 45 percent improvement over previous generation technology.

Apple has not updated its line of standard MacBook Pros, indicating that the non-Retina versions are likely to be discontinued in the future, though the company continues to offer the 13-inch non-Retina MacBook Pro.

Apple has reduced the pricing of the Retina MacBook Pros by $200, offering the entry level 13-inch version for $1,299 and the entry level 15-inch model for $1,999. Apple's updated MacBooks are available today from Apple's Online Store and at retail locations and come with Mavericks included.

Article Link: Apple Updates Retina MacBook Pros With New Processors and Faster PCIe Flash Storage

Last edited:

wanyuenmei

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2013
So who's getting the 13" and 15" and why? I'm seriously debating whether or not to wait for igzo and broadwell...

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
MacRumors got it wrong about the form factor being the same.
They've mentioned the 13-inch is thinner and lighter this time around.

treyjustice

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
TX
Interesting. I just got a 2013 macbook air 4 GB and 256 gb hard drive for $1099 on sale at best buy. Wondering if I should return and get the 13 inch retina for $1299?

salmankhan

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2013
i will be sticking with my mid 2012 retina ..willl wait for the broadwell n igzo display

Atrin1

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2012
Dallas
13inch intro price is not bad at all. i've been in the market for a new macbook so this totally confuses on which one to get. seeing my budget is around $1100-1200

JonDziok

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2013
Washington DC
Finally, I can justify getting a new "future-proof" laptop. I've been chugging along with my 2007 MBP core-duo.

Gimme dem dGPU 15"s. They didn't talk about pricing for the 1GB NVidia 750M, but I'm sure it'll charge-back the $200 they discounted on the displays. The only issue now is deciding whether to buy it now or wait for the other suckers to get in some comparative benchmarks. Really, so long as I can play the latest Steam games and edit native 4k, I'll be fine.

Time to turn the old man into a mobile recording studio!

Xerotech

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
Interesting. I just got a 2013 macbook air 4 GB and 256 gb hard drive for $1099 on sale at best buy. Wondering if I should return and get the 13 inch retina for $1299?

If you know any students you could easily get an education discount on it. It'd knock off about $100, making it be $1,199. Yes, go for it. :D

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
I'm waiting for the 12" IGZO/Broadwell Air... keeping my trusty 2010 13 Air till then... no need to upgrade now with a big sea change next year...

treyjustice

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
TX
If you know any students you could easily get an education discount on it. It'd knock off about $100, making it be $1,199. Yes, go for it. :D

Well I used best buy credit card for 18 months no interest... LOL

They do have $50 education discount knocking it down to 1249 just wonder if its worth $150 to get retina but lose 128gb storage

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
I'm waiting for the 12" IGZO/Broadwell Air... keeping my trusty 2010 13 Air till then... no need to upgrade now with a big sea change next year...

Not sure if I want to wait or not now. Hmm..

----------

Is Apple removing the non-retina models? No announcement..

StephenCampbell

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2009
We just bought three of the 2.9Ghz 13" Ivy Bridge MacBook Pros. I'm really happy with the decision now, as it's clear that Apple is abandoning the full, upgradeable 13" Pro laptops.

These machines can have their hard drive, optical drive and ram upgraded in the future (SSD, 16GB of ram, even a second SSD if in the future we no longer see the need for the optical drive). The Retina models are 100% non-upgradeable, like foldable iPads.

Very happy with our decision.

Ah, just looked at the store. They're keeping the 2.5Ghz 13" classic around a bit longer, now I'm even happier we grabbed the 2.9Ghz before it disappeared!

kunai

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2013
Not sure if I want to wait or not now. Hmm..

----------

Is Apple removing the non-retina models? No announcement..

They kept the old 13" model around in Ivy Bridge trim for another month or so.

Either way, it's a sad loss. The last user-upgradeable Macs in history are now officially dead (or dead walking). I know compressed memory kind of makes RAM upgrades obsolete, and SSD prices will come down, but being able to upgrade your own machine is a thing of pride for me and many others. It means we don't have to buy new computers every year. Which is why Apple killed it.

Free OS X is nice, but come on, Apple. Turning the industry on its head? What, by locking in everyone? Disappointed.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Haswell, Iris, Thunderbolt 2.0, PCIe flash storage, HD FaceTime camera, 9hrs of battery life, 802.11ac, thinner, lighter, Mavericks, and price reduced by $200? This is a great day for anyone interested in the 13in rMBP.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.