Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today unveiled new versions of its iLife suite and iWork suite of apps for both iOS and OS X, with all apps being rewritten to include 64-bit compatibility and include various new features.

mavericks_ilife_iwork_icons.jpg
Apps in the iLife suite have been revamped for both platforms, with iPhoto receiving a new look on iOS along with the ability to create and order photo books on the iPad. iMovie has also received a cleaner, simpler look on iOS 7 with easier ways to browse and share video, including desktop-class effects such as slow-down and picture-in-picture video on the iPad. Lastly, GarageBand for Mac now allows users to add up to 16 tracks on 32-bit iOS devices and up to 32 tracks on 64-bit iOS devices, with a new feature called "Drummer" providing automatic and customizable drumming accompaniment.

Meanwhile, apps in the iWork suite have also been updated, with document editing application Pages enabling users to edit documents on the iPad with a new toolbar that includes quicker access to formatting options. On the Mac, Pages now has a new bar on the right that is context-sensitive, such as showing text-edit tools when typing and image-edit tools when using an images.

Spreadsheet program Numbers now features new spreadsheets with object-based design and new, interactive charts. Additionally, Apple's presentation software Keynote has received an update with new effects and animations including more realistic physics, with object-based animations making an apperance on the iPhone and iPad. All three applications in iWork also now include new collaboration tools, enabling users to edit the same document and the same time on iWork for iCloud.

Both iLife and iWork are now free with the purchase of a new Mac or iOS device, and are avaliable today.

Article Link: Apple Releases New Versions of iLife and iWork for iOS and Mac, Free with New Device Purchase

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Probably the best news in the keynote is Mavericks, iWork and iLife refreshes. Things that could be useful for me.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
So if I bought a 5s last week do I get Keynote, pages etc for free for my iMac?

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
iWork update

Goodbye Google Drive? The collaboration in iWork looks great.

But I hope the iWork inspector doesn't have to be permanently attached to every open window. I can't bear how every Office document has it's own ribbon, with commands that constantly move around. With iWork's inspector my muscle memory kicks in and I find what I want really quickly, and it uses real estate efficiently, especially when I have a bunch of documents open at once.

Time will tell I guess.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
What did they change in iPhoto? Facelift or does it actually sync with the albums I create on my iDevice? iPhoto in iCloud?

Apple is a joke. Can't get something that users what, give it a facelift and make them think it's new.

TheseGoTo11

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2007
Just picked up a new Haswell iMac a couple of weeks ago. Here's to hoping that I get the updated iWork and iLife for free.

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
I wonder whether you will have to purchase these apps again, or whether if you already have them they will be upgraded for free?

----------

So buying the new iPad will give me iWork and iLife dree on both iOS and OSX?

No I think if you buy an iPad you get the iOS apps free and vice versa when you buy a mac.

bigwig

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2005
Does the new Numbers expand function compatibility? That was my major gripe with Numbers '09, a much too limited function list.

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
People are asking because the wording says OR, which would mean that you get both versions.

hmm, maybe. It doesn't make a lot of sense, why would they give a free version of iWork for Mac when you buy a new iPad?

Tike1994

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
St. Charles, IL
Finally something that should compete with Google Drive!

I've been trying to ditch Google, but the missing ability to share documents with non-apple users and edit in a browser has prevented me from dumping Google Drive for iWork on iCloud.

I really hope this works as advertised!

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
I'd like to hear more about the iMovie update. How does iMovie Theater work? iMovie projects take up a huge amount of space, so I'm curious if they let you store your iMovie projects in iCloud for free, or if you have to buy a lot more storage. I can't see them letting you store it for free since it would take up so much space.

jmh600cbr

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
1) what the heck is going on with Aperture?
2) when do these softwares become available?

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton

* Pages, Numbers, and Keynote are free on the Mac App Store for qualifying Mac computers purchased on or after October 1, 2013. OS X Mavericks required. Downloading apps requires an Apple ID.
** GarageBand is free on the Mac App Store for all compatible Mac computers with OS X Mavericks. Additional GarageBand instruments and sounds are available with an in-app purchase. Downloading apps requires an Apple ID.

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010

* Pages, Numbers, and Keynote are free on the Mac App Store for qualifying Mac computers purchased on or after October 1, 2013. OS X Mavericks required. Downloading apps requires an Apple ID.
** GarageBand is free on the Mac App Store for all compatible Mac computers with OS X Mavericks. Additional GarageBand instruments and sounds are available with an in-app purchase. Downloading apps requires an Apple ID.

Awesome, this means ill get them!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004

So that means I just have to buy a new Mac to get these apps? Well, that's nice and affordable. :)

They have to have some sort of "upgrade price" for everyone else, right?

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
So that means I just have to buy a new Mac to get these apps? Well, that's nice and affordable. :)

They have to have some sort of "upgrade price" for everyone else, right?

I'm figuring if you've already bought them through the MAS then it will be a free update to the existing app. Hopefully the people getting updates through Software Update (pre-MAS versions) get the same treatment, but I wouldn't have an issue paying for a newer version-- I use these apps all the time.

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles
Phil mentioned a new Aperture to take advantage of the new Mac Pro. I expect it will be released in December sometime.

Also eager to see if they release iLife updates today.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Best news of the Keynote: Pages documents can now be saved as word files. YES! No converting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.