Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Havok83

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2012
Nothing was said about them today and I just looked on their website and they no longer have the 15"; just the 13 one. Are they done producing them and just trying to get rid of existing stock?

StephenCampbell

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2009
It's very interesting that they've kept around the lower-end 13" cMBP, rather than the higher-end one.

This means one of two things:

1. They have existing stock of the 2.5Ghz and just want to get rid of it.

2. The 2.9Ghz is too powerful relative to the Retina models, and they don't want to encourage people to go with an "outdated" machine where you can still upgrade it down the road.... jeesh, who wants that? Then you won't buy another computer in 2 years.

I guess it's probably the first reason now that I think about it. People like me bought up all the 2.9Ghz models. :)

OMGwtfBBQwings

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2011
clearly not, can you not see it on the apple website?

there's probably a group of people (students) that (think they) still need an optical drive.

StockDC2

macrumors regular
May 16, 2011
None of the newer Retinas are upgradable correct? If so, I'll happily stick with my MBP instead of shelling out an extra $100 for 4GB of memory...

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
As expected, now to wait some days for the new Lenovo mobile workstation to be more than just pre announced.

And so finally choose one with AMD graphics.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
As expected, now to wait some days for the new Lenovo mobile workstation to be more than just pre announced.

And so finally choose one with AMD graphics.

Yep... looks like we entered the iPadMac era. Maybe my next computer will be an user-upgradeable Lenovo.

dittman

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2007
Yep... looks like we entered the iPadMac era. Maybe my next computer will be an user-upgradeable Lenovo.

That's the way I'm leaning, but I've been leaning that way since they discontinued the 17". I bought the last version of the 17" with the fastest available CPU. When it's ready for replacement I'll be forced to go with a non-Apple laptop running Linux.

I doubt it will happen but iTunes for Linux would be nice to have at that point.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
The Lenovo has Thunderbolt, like some new HP.

But last time I checked, there was no AMD graphics option for the new real HP mobile workstations.

The Dell have AMD graphics option, but no Thunderbolt or DreamColor equivalent. It is also not possible to combine the AMD graphics with a QHD display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.