Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
I have a feeling I'm not getting the free upgrade to iWork. I purchased it on DVD years ago, not via the App Store. I doubt they are going to upgrade me to the latest for free. :( But then again, a new MBP may be in my near future. :D

Anyone else in the same boat? Any thoughts?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The MAS does not offer upgrade pricing so anyone of us who are not purchasing a new Mac will have to pay full price.

jamesarm97

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
Me too. I have always been able to receive the updates via a download but every time I go to the store it doesn't know that I purchased the iLife family pack.

I have a feeling I'm not getting the free upgrade to iWork. I purchased it on DVD years ago, not via the App Store. I doubt they are going to upgrade me to the latest for free. :( But then again, a new MBP may be in my near future. :D

Brad9893

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2010
Hiding Under the Genius Bar
The MAS does not offer upgrade pricing so anyone of us who are not purchasing a new Mac will have to pay full price.

That's because upgrades are always free on the MAS. That's how it's always been. If an upgrade is released, you get it, you only pay once when you purchase. I don't think Apple is going to maintain two versions of iWork on the store. It goes against MAS behavior. I thought that people who already had it (either they bought it from the store or on DVD before the MAS existed) would get the upgrade. The only people who would have to pay would be people who didn't have it at all.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Same boat here with only the DVD version, and not sure which apps I'd pay to upgrade. Pages is the only one I use heavily, and frankly they all work fine for me. I'll probably wait for thorough reviews.

But what I wonder about are the iLife apps. I've got them in the App store and wonder if the new versions will require a new purchase.

jc1350

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
The iwork and ilife apps in the MAS are still showing the old version for me.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra

Wait a couple of days and see what comes in software update.

I was hoping it would be free for everyone :( Guess I'll fork over the $60
Wait a day or 2 before paying and see if anything changes. There's always funky lag on the App Stores when they update this much stuff.

ET3SW

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2011
TX
My MAS just refreshed and all my previously purchased iWork apps are being updated to the latest version

WrenFGun

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2013
I'm just curious, do people anticipate getting an update if you have the install disk and didn't buy through the APP store? I bought back in 2009. I only see one version in the app store (the new version) so I'm hoping they'll upgrade.

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
My MAS just refreshed and all my previously purchased iWork apps are being updated to the latest version

Please let us know what they are like.

What happens if you open a bunch of documents? Does every one have it's own attached inspector or can you separate the inspector so there's only one and it stays in the same place all the time?

Xe89

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2009
The new Pages introduced a new file format. I have not yet updated to the new version (staying on Mountain Lion for a while) but I did create a .pages file using the web version. I then downloaded that document and tried to open it using the old version of Pages (4.3). It did not open and instead asked me to update Pages. That's not too surprising.

However, can someone with the new Pages installed try and open old files with the new Pages?

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Wait for refresh of iTunes and App Store. I am currently downloading new iWorks suite in iTunes and new iLife suite in the App Store. Should be done in several minutes. Not quite sure why I could not do both from App Store. But a little added info in case you could not find them in App Store. Look in iTunes.

maccompatible

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2012

Last time it took a few days before the software update showed updates for my DVD version of iWork. I'm going to give it until the weekend.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
spoke to apple support and they said it was because there was no record of me buying it in the app store. i told him I had the box and receipt but was told he couldn't do anything. He then said to let apple know through their feedback page and maybe they will let us previous owners update.

shaanx

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2013
i was trying to upgrade but apparently it's only for macs purchased after October 1st and i purchased mine on Sept 28th... doh.:(

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
apparently someone posted on these forums that they spoke to an apple rep and they are making it available as a free update for the boxed users as well soon...

MLinneer

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2013
Sherman, TX
Looking at the updated Pages website, it's a desktop version of Pages for iCloud. Simplified inspector and all. And they changed the file format so my iWorks '09 on my older iMac running Lion can't open the new files, at least if Apple doesn't upgrade it.

I would like to assume Apple will update the existing '09 install base going back to Snow Leopard. It's bad enough that I don't have iCloud access on 10.7 Lion built-in like with 10.8 ML, but at least I've been able to work around it using Dropbox. And the files work seamlessly between 10.7 and 10.8 versions too.

Even so, if Apple is dumbing down the UI to match the web suite, I'll probably be moving my projects back to the more powerful and more cross-platform Office.

onekerato

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2011
I would like to assume Apple will update the existing '09 install base going back to Snow Leopard.

Isn't the new Pages/Numbers/Keynote only for OS X Mavericks? Compatibility info box in the Mac App Store says 10.9 and later.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Just and FYI, I just finished installing Mavericks and booted into it; the App store is automatically downloading the updated versions for me. I had installed them via DVD years ago and they were only available for purchase in the MAS. So I'm a happy camper, everything looks great so far.

hounslowfish

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2013
I can't express how surprised and grateful I am that we disk purchasers are getting iWork for free too. Excellent service Apple!

For me, the updates didn't show up in Software Update straight away, but they did once I opened a Guest Account, and then ran Software update, as described in the other thread.

I can confirm the new iWork apps are lovely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.