Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After the announcement and subsequent release of Apple's new Retina MacBook Pros with updated processors and faster storage, the company has apparently discontinued the 15-inch non-Retina MacBook Pro which leaves only the 13-inch non-Retina MacBook Pro alongside the current line of Retina MacBook Pros.

macbook_line_oct13-800x541.png
The 13-inch non-Retina MacBook Pro being sold is of the exact same model and specification that was introduced in 2012, featuring no significant changes aside from OS X Mavericks coming pre-installed on the system. Priced at $1,199, the 13-inch non-Retina MacBook Pro is now just $100 cheaper than the Retina version. Apple has been long expected to discontinue its standard MacBook Pros in favor of an all Retina lineup and with a $200 discount on its entry-level Retina models, pricing is nearly on par with its former non-Retina offerings.

Apple today unveiled new 13 and 15-inch Retina MacBook Pros, which have been updated with Intel's latest processors for enhanced performance and significantly improved battery life. The entry-level 13-inch version is available for $1,299 while the entry-level 15-inch model is available for $1,999. Both models are available today from Apple's Online Store and at its various retail locations.

Article Link: Apple Discontinues 15-inch Non-Retina MacBook Pro, Leaves 13-inch Version in Lineup

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
As expected. I'm pretty sure the 13" non-retina will drop next year, which also means this will finally be the end of ODDs in Macs.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
*Sigh* I really wanted my next MacBook Pro to be an updated 15" non-retina. It feels like 2006 all over again.

I'm just going to put money aside for a base Mac Pro then. I've finally grown out of the consumer market. :(

Supertecnoboff

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2011
UK
Just kill it already!

Yeah, I'm not to bothered about this, the new Retina MacBook Pros are quite powerful and have a few nice upgrade options which should see most users through the next few years at least.

I like to run Xcode, Photoshop and Safari at the same time and it still runs just about ok on my 2009 Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro... lol

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Sad, but expected, didn't think it would be today.

The screen on these were great - prefer matt over glossy. Anti-glare on glossy screens have never been as good as matt.

Hopefully SSD capacity / prices will come down before I need to upgrade.

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
Apple tax ever lurking...

Apple giveth ($200 cheaper overall base models), Apple taketh away ($500 for 1TB SSD upgrade).

;)

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
I'm going to upgrade to the current 13" from my 2009 13" which happens to scream with TWO SSD drives in it. If they could put in at least 64 GB of swap space I would go retina but they seem to be stuck on the old way of doing things so twin SSD in the last ever non-retina 13" it is!

ultra7k

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
I guess that makes my 13" CMBP the last of the old ones. Too bad, I really like this machine.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
I'm going to have to ask Santa for one of these 13-inch Retina MacBook Pros for the holidays. I've been a good boy this year! :p

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
DIY was nice. You could squeeze a few more years out of your machine by updating the memory and HD. You also could shop around for price and quality vs what Apple gives you.

as i understand it there is no third-party SSD drive that is faster than the PCI-e Flash memory in these. thats quality.

these got faster and cheaper. sounds good to me. im retiring my exist MBP which is 6 years old (in that time ive never done any DIY work on it other than the RAM, which I maxed out on Day 1; so now ill just do that when ordering)... im quite happy to hop on board with this iterative improvement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.