Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crashwins

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2009
I have Verizon unlimited and my wife has ATT unlimited. Is there a way to a) get an iPad with unlimited data on her account or b) change my Verizon to iPad-only?

My hope is to actually drop my iPhone and simply use a iPad Mini, but I probably wouldn't do this without unlimited data as I'm sure to rack up more on an iPad over an iPhone. Any thoughts/suggestions would be very appreciated!

bursthead

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
I have Verizon unlimited and my wife has ATT unlimited. Is there a way to a) get an iPad with unlimited data on her account or b) change my Verizon to iPad-only?

My hope is to actually drop my iPhone and simply use a iPad Mini, but I probably wouldn't do this without unlimited data as I'm sure to rack up more on an iPad over an iPhone. Any thoughts/suggestions would be very appreciated!

You cant add an unlimited att ipad data plan. The only way to get one would be to purchase it online from someone.

You can however use your verizon plan in a verizon ipad. You will still need to keep the voice plan and data plan. Since the data plan is a feature. You then need a phone that is 4g lte, and you can swap the sim into the ipad. If its a micro sim you will need to get a cutter, or if you already have a verizon iphone 5/5s. You can do a straight swap. No need to call verizon just pop the sim in. You then have unlimited data on your ipad with verizon.

crashwins

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2009
Thanks for the note..

So, even though my wife has unlimited data with her iPhone, she couldn't add another device to the plan, namely the iPad mini?

The Verizon option wouldn't be a good one as it would require me to keep a $107 phone plan for just an iPad.

Any other ideas? Thanks!

redzep

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2013
Any luck on this? I'm in a similar boat. have grandfathered in unlimited data currently on iphone 5s, but never use the phone plan. ported my main number to Google Voice long time ago. so it's a totally wasted $40.

I'd love to just take my unlimited data and move it to an ipad and be done with it.

Or have a unlimited data only iphone...

I suspect that may be asking too much!

Thanks for the note..

So, even though my wife has unlimited data with her iPhone, she couldn't add another device to the plan, namely the iPad mini?

The Verizon option wouldn't be a good one as it would require me to keep a $107 phone plan for just an iPad.

Any other ideas? Thanks!

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
Any luck on this? I'm in a similar boat. have grandfathered in unlimited data currently on iphone 5s, but never use the phone plan. ported my main number to Google Voice long time ago. so it's a totally wasted $40.

I'd love to just take my unlimited data and move it to an ipad and be done with it.

Or have a unlimited data only iphone...

I suspect that may be asking too much!

What you suspect is correct. Carriers like ATT want the grandfathered plans to go away and ANY changes to one's plan can give them excuse to remove it. They will not allow you to move your unlimited plan to your iPad. Your only chance is to buy someone's SIM on eBay. They are getting harder to find and more expensive.

ugcop

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Traveling @ Warp Speed ...... USA
On ATT if you are willing to give up the use of the phone number with unlimited it cab be transferred to an iPad. The plan is tied to the number and it must be assigned to the iPad. She would loose unlimited on the phone and be given a new phone number.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.