Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

holydude

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2013
I am going to replace my cmbp early 2011 as it just does not fit my needs anymore. Don't take me wrong i love OS X and my MBP but i want an improvement.

What i currently really dislike about my cmbp:

1) screen reflection
2) size
3) weight
4) screen size

It's now my main computer at home with an external monitor. What really sickens me is the screen reflection...i can't really use the small display for anything more than just IM etc.

Plus another thing happened that a shop in my country has an anniversary and they are offering a 15% discount to every iProduct (except new ones announced just now) to this saturday.

Ok so here is what i am looking for :
1) screen reflection needs to be very low
2) specs bump

Another thing is that i can't decide whether to go with a rmbp or iMac + MBA.

RMBP
Pros
1) retina
2) pcie flash storage
3) tb 2
4) weight and size
5) lesser screen reflection
6) it's a laptop

Cons
1) Price

iMac
Pros
1) it's all in one pc
2) it's cheap and subtract 15% of base price

Cons
1) does not have an sshd / pcie flash storage
2) comes with 8GB
3) huge screen reflection ?
4) it's not very mobile rlly

MBA
Pros
1) weight and size
2) price (subtract 15% of base price)

Cons
1) very big screen reflection
2) non retina display
3) comes with only 4GB ram
4) small screen

This is all about money for me as i am from poor country and i don't want to spend fortune at this so i need a help guys.

I don't plan to travel atm but if i would i would be going to a country 8km far away from the one i am currently living in (my gf and i would want to go there). Anyway...it would be hard to spend an additional money on a computer when i would have to travel (ofc i could grab my old cmbp but it's just too heavy and not really a today's technology).

If i would go for imac+mba i would use that mba whenever i would have a need for a lightweight laptop...for example at work i would really could use it to do my personal stuff...cuz from time to time i am carrying company's laptop and to have to carry 2 2kg + laptops would be a pain in the ass.

What do you think guys ? Can you help me with this decision ? One more thing. Some people say that iris pro is as powerful as dgpu in top 15 rmbp. If that's the case i don't see a need to have the top rmbp (i would go with base 15 rmbp + 16gb ram).

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
If glossy screens is a problem, option is get a third party matte screen and a Mac Mini or a used Mac Pro since budget is also a factor. Glossy screens can be a distraction when you're doing some image editing.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
I think that you want to buy something to satisfy your ego but you haven't mention what use you have for that computer.

You buy a machine to work. If you are going to be in the internet just hanging around without doing anything just change the monitor.

but you are not making music or graphics or anything so... why wasting your money if you live in a poor country?

I live in a poor country myself and I had the poor country mentality: have things, computers, equipment so I can feel fine with myself. At the end I had no actual use for them until I started to work in myself and creating things for real.

Today I travel only with a pen drive and making good money. I have this iMac at home and that is it.

But I see your post and you are just buying an "status symbol" based on what you wrote.

You need to work your paradigms.

holydude

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2013
Hi. That's not it. I just like apple OS X.

I can't imagine myself to be working on anything with windows / Linux / AnyOther.

Can someone answer the question. Is the top RMBP 15 worth it ? I mean...is the dedicated GPU really needed ? ( I will not be using any CAD/Graphic program i am just talking about user experience).

Thanks.

holydude

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2013
Bump !

Still did not decide yet.

I would not want to go for top 15 model. That's for sure.

But what about MBA vs rMBP base model ?
For 13" screen i would definitely need another external monitor.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Before deciding on anything. Go onto eBay and spend $5 to $10 on a matte screen protector for your Macbook Pro and see if you like it. If anything it will give you more options when it comes to covering up Apples shiny screens.

Be sure to clean the screen surface thoroughly with 70% isopropyl alcohol. Then do not touch the screen or back of the matte protector with your fingers to insure bubble free adhesion. Then carefully install working out bubbles with a credit card as you go.

As to which model. A single Retina MBP makes more sense to me than an iMac & MBA. Given how much the rMBP costs based on your expressed wants. Get a new Macbook Air, upgrade the RAM to 8GB and get a cheap 23inch Matte LCD. Then you would have a quick ultra portable Mac and a large non reflective screen. All for quite a bit less than the rMBP.

Since budget is a factor. How about a quad core Mac Mini, cheap LCD and iPad Air or iPad retina mini? Then you'd have a great cheap desktop and highly portable device.

holydude

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2013
Before deciding on anything. Go onto eBay and spend $5 to $10 on a matte screen protector for your Macbook Pro and see if you like it. If anything it will give you more options when it comes to covering up Apples shiny screens.

Be sure to clean the screen surface thoroughly with 70% isopropyl alcohol. Then do not touch the screen or back of the matte protector with your fingers to insure bubble free adhesion. Then carefully install working out bubbles with a credit card as you go.

As to which model. A single Retina MBP makes more sense to me than an iMac & MBA. Given how much the rMBP costs based on your expressed wants. Get a new Macbook Air, upgrade the RAM to 8GB and get a cheap 23inch Matte LCD. Then you would have a quick ultra portable Mac and a large non reflective screen. All for quite a bit less than the rMBP.

Since budget is a factor. How about a quad core Mac Mini, cheap LCD and iPad Air or iPad retina mini? Then you'd have a great cheap desktop and highly portable device.

Ok lets forget about iMac atm. I won't get Mac mini and / or iPad simply because i need a computer to work on. I would be getting an ultra wide monitor anyway since most of the time i want to use it for programming and for that you need additional screen because i simply like to have open my IDE,Documentation, IM / IRC etc at once.

Though i would be taking a MBA or rMBP 13 with me to work (not the case with 15 inches display as it is too bog. But ! It is better for coding to have it with a monitor...

Thanks for tips ...keep it up :)

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
My personal advice is to simply stick with your current macbook.

Since you work at home with an external monitor, you can simply work in clamshell mode by closing the macbook's screen. Or think of the smaller screen as a bonus - you can use it for displaying stuff like emails which don't really need that much space.

I mean, it's your money, but I honestly don't find your reasons compelling enough to warrant an upgrade, what more since you admit that money is an issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.