Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following Apple's iPad-centric event where the company unveiled its latest iPad Air and iPad mini with Retina display, event attendees have been able to go hands-on with the new devices, which will be available in November. Below are some first impressions of Apple's newest tablets, both of which feature some radical improvements.

airinhand.jpg
Image courtesy of TechCrunch

iPad Air

According to Engadget, the iPad Air is much slimmer and lighter, but it doesn't feel cheap. While the size differences aren't immediately apparent, the lighter weight is noticeable and the A7 processor is a major improvement.
Naturally, iOS 7 looks great on that Retina display - but you knew that already right? What's really notable here, however, is just how zippy things are, thanks to the inclusion of an A7 chip, the same one introduced on the iPhone 5s. You really notice that speed when launching apps like iMovie, which boots up in an an instant. With a chip like this, you should be getting around the new free version of iLife pretty swiftly.
The Verge calls the iPad Air "really beautiful," with "cleaner bezels" and a thinner profile. It's notably faster with the A7 processor, and fits better in a single hand.
Long story short: it looks and feels like a larger (but not that much larger) iPad mini, and that's mostly a really good thing. It's really beautiful, with cleaner bezels, a much thinner profile, and sharper, boxier edges.

Along with the new A7 processor and a handful of under-the-hood improvements, this is just about the upgrade we expected, but more than ever the iPad Air feels like you're just holding a big screen full of the internet. That's probably a good thing.

SlashGear notes that there's a definite "wow-factor" when picking up the iPad Air.
The slimmed down bezels on the sides make a considerable difference to how it feels in your hand, leaving the tablet as a whole feeling somewhere in-between the 4:3 aspect of its display and the 16:9 of most rival Android slates. There's still enough room to grip it, however, without overlapping the display too considerably.

It's the little details that you notice after a while, however. The chamfering to the casing where it meets the toughened glass of the fascia, for instance, or the slimline side controls and lock-switch. Unfortunately there's no Touch ID embedded into the home button, but we can see ourselves holding the iPad Air for longer periods since the 1-pound weight is almost a third reduction on the old model.
iPad mini with Retina Display

Apple's newest iPad mini is similar to the first iPad mini, though it is slightly thicker and heavier. Engadget didn't notice any major changes to the feel, but did note that the processor seems faster than the original.
There isn't much on the outside that we haven't seen before - in fact, it still sports the same home button, indicating that it doesn't feature Touch ID - but there is one glaring exception: the Retina display. When compared to the original iPad mini that came out last year, this is a rather significant bump in pixel density, and we came away much more impressed with the mini as a result.
According to CNET, the iPad mini feels exactly like the first generation version and looks even sharper than the full-sized iPad Air.
However, while it feels great, it's all about that screen. And given the Mini's smaller 7.9-inch size, it looks even sharper than the full-size iPad Air. But to take advantage of the new pixel-dense screen, you will be paying up over last year's Mini. It's gorgeous, though, so I'd imagine the new premium will definitely be worth it to some people.
The Verge notes that the Retina mini is noticeably faster and smoother, with sharper, more readable text.
The same 7.9-inch display now features four times the pixels, a full 2048 x 1536 resolution, which makes text sharp and readable. Just as importantly, it makes iOS 7 look much better than it does on the original iPad mini, which often feels a little out of place on lower resolutions. iOS 7 also benefits from the iPad mini's new 64-bit A7 processor, making scrolling and everything else notably faster and smoother.

TechCrunch calls the Retina mini's screen "excellent," noting that it will be a dramatic change for users who are coming from a first generation device.
The eye-boggling 2048 x 1536 screen looks excellent in person, and for anyone coming from a generation one device it's going to be a dramatic change. The iPad mini itself is very slightly thicker and heavier than its predecessor to accommodate the Retina Display with the same battery life, adding 0.01 inches and 0.05 pounds to the specs of the original, but that makes minimal difference to the actual feel of the product in the hand.
Apple's iPad Air will be available beginning on November 1, while the Retina mini will come later in the month. Both tablets feature a 64-bit A7 processor, Retina screens, and ultra-thin designs.

Article Link: Roundup: iPad Air and Retina iPad Mini First Impressions

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
Haven't been on the forums today so I'm not sure if people have been bitching but My God, I cannot believe the new iPads lack touchID.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
So the question is, will there be tight stock of the iPad Air (not bothered about the iPad mini at this point)? Will we all get 3-5 days shipping?

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
Very glad that they put the mini on par with the full size iPad as far as internals go. iPad Mini it is!

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Yup, just as figured, not sure whether to go iPad Air or iPad Mini.

I'm leaning toward 32GB/white/Wi-Fi iPad Mini, but then again, might just wait until next year when it presumably gets Touch ID.

I'll definitely have to check both out in person!

Aucun Express

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2009
The iPad Air (cannot believe that it is actually its name) seems really light. Cannot wait to buy it!!

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
So the question is, will there be tight stock of the iPad Air (not bothered about the iPad mini at this point)? Will we all get 3-5 days shipping?

I wouldn't imagine there being tight stock... The iPad Mini probably will be due to the new display, but the display is the same on iPad Air as previous versions.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
I was considering getting the HP 11 Chromebook as a portable way of taking notes in class, but it looks like I might just get the iPad Air or iPad Mini instead! I had the original iPad and I loathed it after the first year because it was so ungodly slow. Might have to give iPad a second chance.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Yup, just as figured, not sure whether to go iPad Air or iPad Mini.

I'm leaning toward 32GB/white/Wi-Fi iPad Mini, but then again, might just wait until next year when it presumably gets Touch ID.

I'll definitely have to check both out in person!

And then next year, you'll have to wait because of another new feature etc...

Live in the now! The new mini is an astronomical upgrade and is basically a smaller iPad Air. Touch ID isn't worth waiting a year for IMO.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
I honestly can't decide between iPad mini and iPad Air. There really is nothing different as far as we can tell beside the extra 2" in screen but the PPI is higher on the mini, so it's sharper there.

Does anybody know if Apple bumped the RAM at all? If iPad Air have 2GB and mini have 1GB, that'll convince me quicker.

Haven't been on the forums today so I'm not sure if people have been bitching but My God, I cannot believe the new iPads lack touchID.

I can. The sensors are probably low in supply and Apple's prioritizing them for iPhone 5S.

It'll be there next year or even in 6 months when there's enough supply to meet the demand.

I wouldn't imagine there being tight stock... The iPad Mini probably will be due to the new display, but the display is the same on iPad Air as previous versions.

The panel may be the same but the glass and everything else aren't. Everything in the casing is entirely different. It doesn't matter if there are billions of panels in supply, it cannot be assembled until everything else is available as well.

mikeoui

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2011
Québec City, QC, Canada
And then next year, you'll have to wait because of another new feature etc...

Live in the now! The new mini is an astronomical upgrade and is basically a smaller iPad Air. Touch ID isn't worth waiting a year for IMO.

The problem really comes when (for whatever reason), one is forced to wait until a few months after launch to purchase. Then what? Wait 6-9 months or buy now? Last year I wanted retina, this year I don't have the cash. The mini is becoming ever move elusive for me lol.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
The Verge calls the iPad Air "really beautiful,"...

That's amusing. It has a brick shape (as are all other tablets). What exactly is so beautiful about it? One could not come up with a more boring shape even if he tried.

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
"Apple’s iPad Air will be available beginning on November 1, while the Retina mini will come later in the month. Both tablets feature a 64-bit A7 processor, Retina screens, and ultra-thin designs. "

Look like Apple wants to sell the iPad5 first to see if there are takers. Then after a couple of weeks Apple will release the Mini 2! Great strategy for the one two punch.

I will get the Mini2 between the two iPads but I was discourage because no 802.11 ac. Might wait till the next version since I want the Wi-Fi to be state of the art.

Last edited:

JayCee842

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2013

Did you really expect for them to have TouchID implemented with these new iPads? They need that feature for the next generation model. ;)

DVK916

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2006
I honestly can't decide between iPad mini and iPad Air. There really is nothing different as far as we can tell beside the extra 2" in screen but the PPI is higher on the mini, so it's sharper there.

Does anybody know if Apple bumped the RAM at all? If iPad Air have 2GB and mini have 1GB, that'll convince me quicker.

I can. The sensors are probably low in supply and Apple's prioritizing them for iPhone 5S.

It'll be there next year or even in 6 months when there's enough supply to meet the demand.

The panel may be the same but the glass and everything else aren't. Everything in the casing is entirely different. It doesn't matter if there are billions of panels in supply, it cannot be assembled until everything else is available as well.

We probably won't know until they are officially sold, and someone breaks them open and looks at the internals.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto

That's amusing. It has a brick shape (as are all other tablets). What exactly is so beautiful about it? One could not come up with a more boring shape even if he tried.

Someone like you might not be able to distinct between the form factors of lets say the iPad1 and the iPad3 and the iPad mini, but I'm pretty sure that the average user notices a big difference in feel and look.

willcapellaro

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011

I really can't be that much of a surprise. Plenty of reasons why they wouldn't do it, especially at this time. But I wouldn't be surprised if they never do it. I've never heard of rampant tablet theft like I have for phone theft/mugging. I know it happens, but I'm sure at a fraction of the incidence rate.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
These iPads, specifically the Mini, are going to dominate the holiday shopping season. I can't imagine any product being more sought after this year.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
Was 100% that I'd update my iPad mini but the iPad Air really wants to make me get rid of my ipad 3. I didn't expect that.

willcapellaro

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011

Testing has shown that people tend to be attracted to faces that have aggregate average features. Do you want a extremely shapely headphone port, or a well placed headphone port?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.