Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RT81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2013
I have been researching to decide between buying a Mac or building a new PC. I'm an amateur musician and I record music on DAW software with various recording interfaces, all of which are USB 2.0. In researching info, I found people reporting problems with using USB 2.0 interfaces in USB 3.0 ports. For example, sound cutting out during recording, USB ports become unresponsive, crackling and distortion on audio playback, etc.

These issues all seem to have come up late 2012, early 2013. Most are on Windows, but I did run into a couple from users on Macs. The "workaround" most used was to use a USB 2.0 port, which is not possible on all the latest macs since they are all 3.0. Most of the complaints seem to dry up after early this year. Maybe there was a fix my Apple and/or Microsoft?

I've dug as deep as I can, I can't find any official word from any of the popular names on this issue - Line 6, PreSonus, Focusrite, M-Audio, etc about this still being a known issue.

Can anyone confirm if I were to use something like my POD HD with a new Mac running Mountain Lion/Mavericks that I wouldn't run into these problems?

RT81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2013
No one knows?

No one has a friend of a friend of a friend that has successfully recorded using a USB 2.0 interface on the iMAC or Mac Mini USB 3.0 ports? :D

RT81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2013
Thanks, I think I have a start on what I'm looking for. I also didnt' realize there's a digital audio section. I think this thread can be closed. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.