Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you getting the 1TB drive upgrade?

• Yes.

Votes: 35 38.5%
  • No.

Votes: 56 61.5%

• Total voters

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
For those that have the option, are you going to get the 1TB drive upgrade? Is it worth it?

Scott7975

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2013
No, Ill stick with the 512. I don't think that price is worth the upgrade. If it was like 100 bucks then maybe.

Tekfox

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2007
I ordered mine with the 1TB.

I do a lot of music production and use my MBP as my primary machine so the additional (fast) storage is worth the money to me.

MN7119

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2011
I ordered my 13" with 1TB and 16 MB RAM. I currently have a 2006 white MacBook so I thought it wasnworth to upgrade for the top of the line. I also like to keep my videos, music, photos all in the same place.

hachiman

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
Well, if it's part of your business and you get a tax deduction out of it, MAX IT OUT! :p

mankymanning

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2008
I went for it, going through my business anyway an I do a lot of work in VMs, I don't want to run out of space. Finally I have to think about resale value in a couple of years...

sartos

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
I went for it, going through my business anyway an I do a lot of work in VMs, I don't want to run out of space. Finally I have to think about resale value in a couple of years...

This is the very same reason I ticked all the boxes to max it out... If there was a 32GB RAM option I would have ticked that too...

I am hoping that at some point in future either Paralells or VMWare will be able to syphon off some of that super fast storage and use it as RAM to 'trick' the VM into thinking it has more.... unless this is already possible?

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
Ordered a 15" 2.6 with the 1TB SSD yesterday but cancelled it after thinking about it. Saved myself just over $600 for going with the stock processor and 512GB SSD. I rather use that money towards another machine in the future. I was also able to free up a lot of space after removing some files I forgot about. I currently have a 480GB drive (2x 240gb) and have 150gb free now with the ability to clear at least another 25-50gb if I move some work files.

Tibits

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2011
Ordered a 15" 2.6 with the 1TB SSD yesterday but cancelled it after thinking about it. Saved myself just over $600 for going with the stock processor and 512GB SSD. I rather use that money towards another machine in the future.

I did the exact opposite. I do a lot of photo (large RAW) work, and I figured you never regret having more space. This will help to future proof the machine (files just keep getting bigger and bigger), and I think ultimately help with resale value. The 1 TB is a big premium, but the business write off softens the blow for me.

I agree 768 would have been perfect.

Crossmax

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
Finally I have to think about resale value in a couple of years...
Sorry, but that is not a rational argument, as you will not recoup the $500 + interest when selling your computer in a few years' time. The other reasons I can understand...

mankymanning

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2008
Sorry, but that is not a rational argument, as you will not recoup the $500 + interest when selling your computer in a few years' time. The other reasons I can understand...

That isn't the rationale I am using, it is just a lot of people simply will not consider purchasing a laptop with only 128 or 256GB by that point IMO. It isn't about it having less value, it is about vastly diminishing the pool of potential buyers.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
If I had the money for it definitely! I do like to have more of 750GB + on my macbook though. I just hope this type of SSD becomes widely used and gets cheaper as more manufacturers make them. Wishful thinking though...

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
I did the exact opposite. I do a lot of photo (large RAW) work, and I figured you never regret having more space. This will help to future proof the machine (files just keep getting bigger and bigger), and I think ultimately help with resale value. The 1 TB is a big premium, but the business write off softens the blow for me.

I agree 768 would have been perfect.

I almost went that route for the same reasons, full time pro here as well. But in my case, I have largely phased out digital out of my work as I have gone almost totally to shooting medium and large format black and white film and hand printing it in a real darkroom, no more digi-crap for me. So this might actually be my last big ticket apple purchase, happy to say...

Tibits

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2011
I almost went that route for the same reasons, full time pro here as well. But in my case, I have largely phased out digital out of my work as I have gone almost totally to shooting medium and large format black and white film and hand printing it in a real darkroom, no more digi-crap for me. So this might actually be my last big ticket apple purchase, happy to say...

Nice! More $ for your photo equipment (which holds value MUCH better) then.

mankymanning

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2008
This is the very same reason I ticked all the boxes to max it out... If there was a 32GB RAM option I would have ticked that too...

I am hoping that at some point in future either Paralells or VMWare will be able to syphon off some of that super fast storage and use it as RAM to 'trick' the VM into thinking it has more.... unless this is already possible?

Unfortunately this is very unlikely to happen. The difference in speed between memory and storage is huge. The 1TB drives with the MBP are topping out at 950ish MB/s, let's call it 1GB/s for argument's sake.

DDR2 from around 8 years ago had bandwidth of about 13GB/s, these days I am not sure but it must be upwards of 50GB/s in modern DDR3 systems? not sure but not far off, so a long way to go before it can reasonably be used as memory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.