Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

futbalguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 16, 2007
...compared to the iPad Mini at $399. I don't actually think the iPad Air is overpriced, but I'm making the point that if you think the iPad Mini is overpriced then you should be really upset at spending $100 more for an Air with a slightly bigger screen. It weighs more too. Yet I have not seen anyone complain about the iPad Air price being too high. The iPad Mini and iPad Air could actually have been set to the same price. I doubt the components of the Air cost noticeably more than the Mini.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
I'm ok with the price difference. I'm not with the fact that $399 Mini and $499 Air should have 32gb standard memory!

Firocity

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
I'm ok with the price difference. I'm not with the fact that $399 Mini and $499 Air should have 32gb standard memory!

Agreed, I think it is ridiculous that they still offer the 16Gb models as the standard in their flagship models. I think they should have phased out 16GB models in the Iphone 5s and with the Ipads, it is a no brainer considering the apps take up more space. This is a real greedy move by Apple.

Lindsford

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
...compared to the iPad Mini at $399. I don't actually think the iPad Air is overpriced, but I'm making the point that if you think the iPad Mini is overpriced then you should be really upset at spending $100 more for an Air with a slightly bigger screen. It weighs more too. Yet I have not seen anyone complain about the iPad Air price being too high. The iPad Mini and iPad Air could actually have been set to the same price. I doubt the components of the Air cost noticeably more than the Mini.

I wish people would make more threads like this. :rolleyes:

futbalguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 16, 2007

Definitely agree on the memory although I understand how they get away with it because I havent filled up an iDevice's HD in years since the switch to streaming music and video. Spotify freed up all of my space.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Definitely agree on the memory although I understand how they get away with it because I havent filled up an iDevice's HD in years since the switch to streaming music and video. Spotify freed up all of my space.

I have always had 64gb iPads. I currently do not have one, but when I did, I usually hovered around 25gb of Apps, 5-9gb of Music and the rest I was constantly managing videos (movies and TV shows) from my collection. I was excited to see the 128gb iPad 4 come out, but I had the 64gb Mini at the time and didn't feel the need to upgrade. Sold the Mini in prep for the 5/Air and now am ready to buy. Not too happy about spending $799 for 128gb, but see value in having that large of space for how I used my previous iPads. Streaming is tough on the road. Up in the air I can't stream and on travel, most Hotel wifi systems aren't up to speed for Spotify/Hulu/Netflix, etc.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

Slightly bigger screen? 50% bigger, you'll find.

Tyrion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2002
Agreed, unless the Air has more RAM than the Mini, which is possible. The Mini has better PPI at a lower price, which is kind of ridiculous.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008

does going up 50% bigger in screen size not increase in price? What do you expect if something is bigger usually it weighs more... I don't understand your complaints. Did you complain the last 4 models of iPads being 499 too?

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK

Well last year I said they'd do it this year.

So I really really hope they do next year because that's when I'll probably upgrade. I do admit it's ridiculous here in the UK you can buy a 64gb LTE Kindle fire HDX (without ads) for £20 more than a 16gb iPad mini retina wifi. :eek:

I think Apple aren't fussed about gaining marketshare now, rather than trying to cut themselves off into their own corner.

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
They will not make 32GB standard until they actually have to because of memory issues.

Heck, as long as we are willing to plunk down more $$ for more memory, they don't need to do a thing.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
To be honest, I think the iPad mini is now overpriced but the iPad Air is the same price the full sized iPad has always been here in the UK. The iPad mini should never have been more than £250 in the first place, by making it over £300 at the base model it's now being pushed further out of the market they were trying to take over. I guess there is still the option of the non-Retina version though which is slightly cheaper now.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
While I'd like 32GB to be standard, I do not see why people are saying it's a stupid move to keep 16GB.

My nan has a 16GB iPad 2 (she's actually going to order a 16GB iPad Air as soon as they are available) and she has 9GB free space! I'm sure there are millions of others in the same boat. So why discontinue to the 16GB model?

hologram

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2007
Am I the only one who noticed that, since the original post, everyone is calling it "memory" when, in fact, it should be "storage" or "disk space"? :eek:

The "memory" is probably still 1gb, or with luck it's been bumped to 2.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011

ha! Slightly Bigger? Man!

S

syd430

Agreed, unless the Air has more RAM than the Mini, which is possible. The Mini has better PPI at a lower price, which is kind of ridiculous.

Lol "better PPI at a lower price.". Of course it has a better PPI, the same amount of pixels are crammed into a smaller screen. You say that like it's some kind of bonus over the full sized iPad. You do realise that you hold a larger screen device further from you face right? Way too many people on this forum don't understand PPI.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
How is it a joke? hasn't that been the entry level price for the full size iPads since the 1st one..... So you're getting a new design, upgraded processor, upgradeto the M7 and 64bit....AND you want them to lower the price from where it's always been? :confused:

And I do understand the point you were trying to make but the price of the ipad Mini should have nothing to do with the price point of the Air. Just because the ipad mini has the same internals does not mean they should reduce the price of the full sized iPad...... You have to look at it as 2 separate markets; some folks want the full size screen and some want the more portable smaller screen device.

pear21

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
Michigan
While I'd like 32GB to be standard, I do not see why people are saying it's a stupid move to keep 16GB.

My nan has a 16GB iPad 2 (she's actually going to order a 16GB iPad Air as soon as they are available) and she has 9GB free space! I'm sure there are millions of others in the same boat. So why discontinue to the 16GB model?

Because, every device they have ever released has had 16GB of storage, and another 16GB should not cost the consumer another $100. Look at just about every single Android device, they either start with 32GB for the same price of an Apple device, or they start with 16GB and allow for a micro SD card which you can buy for way cheaper than $100. So thats why they need to upgrade the base model, it will help tremendously against the competition, it will just be one more thing that can compete against an Android device.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Because, every device they have ever released has had 16GB of storage, and another 16GB should not cost the consumer another $100. Look at just about every single Android device, they either start with 32GB for the same price of an Apple device, or they start with 16GB and allow for a micro SD card which you can buy for way cheaper than $100. So thats why they need to upgrade the base model, it will help tremendously against the competition, it will just be one more thing that can compete against an Android device.

I agree with you 100% but from a business perspective 16gb is Apple's best seller so they sell tons and make a huge profit on 16gb models.... So there really isn't any motivation for them to cut that out yet. Sucks for the consumer but that's business.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

Because the price of a 32GB disk isn't as expensive as it once was so making 32GB standard and keeping the $499 price tag wouldn't be much of a loss to Apple. But Apple is not in the business of giving users exactly what they want, they give users exactly what they think we should have. The 16GB base is laughable now in terms of cost of storage space.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Am I the only one who noticed that, since the original post, everyone is calling it "memory" when, in fact, it should be "storage" or "disk space"? :eek:

The "memory" is probably still 1gb, or with luck it's been bumped to 2.

"Disk" space?!? :eek: I can't believe they went back to rotating platters for storage.

( ;) hey, you're the one who was pedantic first.)

----------

I agree with you 100% but from a business perspective 16gb is Apple's best seller so they sell tons and make a huge profit on 16gb models.... So there really isn't any motivation for them to cut that out yet. Sucks for the consumer but that's business.

There's decent competition these days, though. iPads are better... but how much better?

Personally, I'm not switching to a Kndle or whatever, but I think I'm going to delay an iPad Air purchase due to the price... I'm going to wait for refurbs or possibly until next year. If there are too many like me, extending their upgrade cycle and ones switching to much cheaper alternative, that's not good for business.

pear21

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
Michigan

Yeah I understand a business wants to make as much money as possible, but it is sad for all of us.

macred

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2013
LAX & beyond
It's not a joke.

It's a fine example of two strengths Apples refined.

1) The ability to build excellent products.

2) The ability to sell products at huge markup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.