Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
California
Strange...

Mavericks "installed" and it's now stuck on the last window-

"Completing Installation"... "Less than a minute remaining.." Not so much a last minute remaining since it has been on this screen for ~20 mins. not sure what the safest option would be versus just holding the button and resetting it or it could cause issues?

The loading bar isn't completely frozen but it's "moving"; but looks like it got stuck.

Keeval

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
U.K.
It did this for me but just leave it, it will finish eventually. I think it deletes a lot of unnecessary files at this step as I also gained quite a few gigabytes of disk space back.

alana22

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
Seattle
Happened to me too. After 45 minutes I got sick of waiting and just rebooted and everything loaded up fine. No idea why it was hanging like that.

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
California
At least I'm not the only one. This must be a bug in the installation. I'll give it some time or just hold the button...

sydypuzu.jpg

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
Same thing happened to me - it was on that screen for about 10 minutes. I picked up the phone to call Apple and no sooner than I dialed the number did it prompt me to restart to finish the set up.

Just give it time, it should resolve itself.

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
California
Same thing happened to me - it was on that screen for about 10 minutes. I picked up the phone to call Apple and no sooner than I dialed the number did it prompt me to restart to finish the set up.

Just give it time, it should resolve itself.

This may be the second screen like this since I had already restarted when it did itself. I'm just not sure about force restarting while the bar is moving. I'm sure it probably can't hurt much or just fixing permissions after it?

parkds

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2003
My installation has been stuck at "less than a minute" for over 2 hours at this point. Do I risk forcing the computer to restart or continue to let it churn?

alana22

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
Seattle
My installation has been stuck at "less than a minute" for over 2 hours at this point. Do I risk forcing the computer to restart or continue to let it churn?

There's no risk, at least there wasn't for me. I got fed up waiting after 40 minutes, rebooted and everything was fine. I don't think anything productive is happening, the computer just grinds/hangs in the ether. Not worth the wait, reboot and enjoy Mavericks.

Ccascio

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
It took about 15 minutes on my laptop. You can wait if you want the whole thing done properly ;)

dcmike

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2009
DC
I have a mid-2010 MBP and I was stuck on the "Less than a minute remaining" screen for almost a half hour (about 25 minutes). I am actually really happy I found this thread because after about 5 minutes my impulse was to reboot. After the 25 final minutes, the install completed and everything is groovy now.

dwarnecke11

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2009
All sorts of ...interesting things happened when updating to Mavericks from SL on my iMac. The screen would shut off randomly during the update (but without dimming first, as it normally would for power save). Multiple startup chimes, a loud "BEEP" for the iMac EFI upgrade. Lots of uncertainty but it all worked out 100% in the end.

gordonbisnor

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2013
Tried twice, gave up

I had the same problem -- first time it stayed on about a minute for about an hour, then I went to the gym hoping it would be working by the time I came back: no luck.

I did a forced restart and then it created a new account for me, and had moved my previous data into a "recovered data" folder.

I then did a restore from Time Machine backup and tried to install a second time. This time was just before I was about to go to sleep for the night, hoped it would resolve itself by morning: next morning exact same problem.

I did another Time Machine restore, and have now given up on Mavericks. Maybe they'll issue a better installer in future, or I'll buy a new machine.

I had similar problems with Mountain Lion, so once again my faith in Apple is diminished. Didn't they used to have a slogan "It just works" – haven't heard that long bandied about in a while, which makes sense because lately it seems like.... it just doesn't work.

mrtravel123

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2007
I'm experiencing the same problem.

I essentially gave up after about 15 minutes because I trusted the "one minute" disclaimer. I forced a restart and the installation didn't work. I guess I need to let the "one minute" last much longer than just 15 minutes. I certainly don't mind waiting longer. But, it'd be nice if the "one minute" disclaimer was more accurate. Even if it said "10 minutes" I think people wouldn't be more patient vs. giving up prematurely. I don't remember this type of installation quirk with previous installations. Apple us usually pretty good at their time estimates. Usually.

For the record, I'm doing a fresh USB install via DiskMaker. Both the USB and my SSD were "cleaned" prior to attempting the installation. I was able to restore everything via a Time Machine restore using the USB. (The MBP alone was essentially dead without the bootable USB to save me).

Well, I'm now going to try it again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.