Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
And sold to what market? Maybe Pro owners in December. But the rest of us with rMBPs or Ma minis would have little use for it.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
And sold to what market? Maybe Pro owners in December. But the rest of us with rMBPs or Ma minis would have little use for it.
Exactly, which is why I think Apple will quietly add a 4K display at the same time new Mac Pros are on the shelf/in the online store. Apple's own or whatever we saw in the event (that black display...a Sharp 4K?).

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Will the new rMBP (both 13 & 15) not get on well with 4K?

That is up to the monitor. No current Macbook, or Mini can generate a 4K screen. Only the new Mac Pro has a graphics section that can do that.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Exactly, which is why I think Apple will quietly add a 4K display at the same time new Mac Pros are on the shelf/in the online store. Apple's own or whatever we saw in the event (that black display...a Sharp 4K?).

Eizo CG276 is a 4K panel now. A pair of those would look lovely in my office!

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Last edited:

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
my bad. I am too used to the ATD which only handles 3.6K. The rMBPs can drive a 5K screen. Now if Apple will only build one into the next ATD.

sbryan

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2007
A new 4k display would just be eye candy for me because $3,500+ is beyond my pricepoint and purposes.

According to the buying guide, it has been 770 days since the last update to the Thunderbolt display. I'm actually fine with the resolution of the current monitor.

My question is: how does the current 27-inch Thunderbolt display compare to other monitors on the market in terms of color quality, response time, build, etc.?

Should I tough it out with just a retina laptop screen for now, or should I buy a Thunderbolt display? I just want a larger workspace when I'm sitting at my desk.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I currently have the high-def MBP and a 27" ACD - both are more than fine for every day uses. I love the Retina on my iPhone 5S but honestly haven't felt the need to scale up all the way to retina on my computers just yet. Most of the web would need to catch up to it anyway for it to be "pretty."

In terms of the responsiveness of the ACD, zero complaints here. It works great for pretty much anything I throw at it and I'm just an average user. (e.g. internet, YouTube, streaming movies, writing code, etc.)

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Oct 17, 2008
 needs to pull their finger out announce a new display. 4K matte. 30" or larger. arm option. rotate design to use displays in portrait mode. it's been a long time coming.

...Maybe a variant of the Sharp PN-K321, but with TB 2 ports..

Last edited:

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Even if they updated it with USB 3.0 and TB2, I would be tempted. It would go well with my MB Air.

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2010
USB 3 + TB2 is probably the big driver for me to upgrade from my 24" ACD

i have the 24'' ACD too and would get a new one just for the new thin design...i assume it's going to be released next year with an updated smaller Mac Mini.

"the thinnest display in the world and the smallest Mac mini we've ever made"

:cool:

cxc273

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
I wonder if Apple will do a stealth update of the current Thunderbolt display and just have it magically appear as an option when the new Mac Pro's are made available for ordering on the Apple website in December.

SmileyDude

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2002
MA
Even if they updated it with USB 3.0 and TB2, I would be tempted. It would go well with my MB Air.

This is what's keeping me from buying a pair of TB displays. I don't care about 4k/Retina, but I would like to know that I can plug in TB 2 devices in the chain after the monitor and USB 3 is a must.

I'm kinda surprised Apple hasn't just done a minor rev of the TB display just to add this -- makes me curious to just how little of these displays they sell.

BTW -- I'm also surprised that Apple hasn't re-engineered the iMac to be a Mac mini (with better specs to match current iMacs) paired with a TB monitor. I know other companies have done things like this, but pretty sure that Apple could do it much better than anyone else.

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
Apple Thunderbolt 2 Display 4K 24-inch with USB 3 and built-in 3D SDS support for passive 3D glasses. Finally, 3D on Mac! Twin Digital Terrestrial Television tuners for full Picture-in-Picture (PiP) and full Picture-and-Picture (PaP) television (TV) reception.

Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad and built-in USB 3 hub (wired).

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Apple Thunderbolt 2 Display 4K 24-inch
No.

with USB 3 and built-in 3D
No.

SDS support for passive 3D glasses. Finally, 3D on Mac! Twin Digital Terrestrial Television tuners
No.
for full Picture-in-Picture (PiP) and full Picture-and-Picture (PaP) television (TV) reception.

Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad and built-in USB 3 hub (wired).
No. But Bluetooth 4.0. Also, the unification of the keyboard and trackpad by means of i.e. integrating sensors on the keys of the home row so you don't have to leave the home row at all for doing pointy stuff is interesting - but that's a "No.", too, even though I already tried using only a 14x14mm area of the trackpad and it works fine when you bump up the tracking speed. Determining the times at which your fingers just rest on the home row vs. those at which you're pointing is another matter, unless you put an "activator pad" underneath the space bar that activates pointing when you put your thumb on it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.