Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skiz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2013
How much should I sell my iMac G5 for? Or what can I expect to get for it?

Gonna list it on Craigslist. Here are the specs:

iMac G5 17"
2.0 GHz Processor
1GB RAM
New 250GB hard drive, installed in August (Seagate Barracuda)
Built in Wifi, Bluetooth, speakers
Mac OS X 10.5.8
Keyboard and mouse included

$50? $100? $200?

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
I'd be shocked if anyone gave you $50 for it. It's old and could die any minute.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
Assuming that it has none of the hardware issues that iMac G5s are well-known for, I'd say that anywhere between $50-150 would be reasonable to the right buyer. Prices on any PowerPC Macs have been absolutely collapsing for the last year or two; I got my 1.8GHz 20" iMac G5 in immaculate condition with the original box and all accessories for free last year. To the right buyer though, again, anywhere between $50-150 depending on the condition of the machine.

And not every iMac G5 is on the verge of death. There are some out there that never had the capacitor issues they are known for; the 20" G5 on my desk right now is a perfect example.

skiz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2013
Assuming that it has none of the hardware issues that iMac G5s are well-known for, I'd say that anywhere between $50-150 would be reasonable to the right buyer. Prices on any PowerPC Macs have been absolutely collapsing for the last year or two; I got my 1.8GHz 20" iMac G5 in immaculate condition with the original box and all accessories for free last year. To the right buyer though, again, anywhere between $50-150 depending on the condition of the machine.

And not every iMac G5 is on the verge of death. There are some out there that never had the capacitor issues they are known for; the 20" G5 on my desk right now is a perfect example.

Great. Thanks. Mine has never had a single problem other than the hard drive dying a couple months ago, which I replaced. Honestly, the only reason I'm finally getting rid of it is that iOS7 requires a newer version of iTunes that my iMac won't support, so I can no longer sync my music. :( Oh well, time to upgrade anyhow I guess. Thanks again.

fhopper

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
Ks.
I dropped my Vanity mirror PowerMac in the dumpster. Why would you want someone calling with issues with your old Mac? Toss it.

skiz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2013
I dropped my Vanity mirror PowerMac in the dumpster. Why would you want someone calling with issues with your old Mac? Toss it.

Currently it works fine and I don't anticipate any issues, but I'm not selling it with a warranty either. I think it's pretty well known that all sales are final on Craigslist.

----------

I've sold a couple G5's in our surplus store on campus for around $50. That's where I would start.

I spent $50 on the new drive. :(

I think I'll just put it in the spare bedroom for guests or something. :|

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
I've sold a couple G5's in our surplus store on campus for around $50. That's where I would start.

That's around the ballpark I was thinking. I sold a 20" Core 2 Duo iMac to my brother for like $150 which was just a hair under what they were going for on eBay, and that was with a recently installed SSD.

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
That's around the ballpark I was thinking. I sold a 20" Core 2 Duo iMac to my brother for like $150 which was just a hair under what they were going for on eBay, and that was with a recently installed SSD.

Nice. Yeah most of that price is probably in the SSD haha.

skiz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2013
I'd be shocked if anyone gave you $50 for it. It's old and could die any minute.

Listed it on Craigslist for $250 just to see if I'd get any bites. I let somebody haggle me down to $180. Sold. :)

Last edited:

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
Listed it on Craigslist for $250 just to see if I'd get any bites. I let somebody haggle me down to $180. Sold. :)

Nice! That's always a good way to go on craigslist - list it higher than you really want, then let them talk you down to the price you actually want. You get what you wanted for the item, they got to talk you down, everybody wins!

KeegM480

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
I just payed $50 for an iMac G4 on Craigslist, PPC Mac's dont sell but have high prices in my area. If you want to sell list it for $100 and you will probably sell around $50-$75 but it will probably take a while depending on your area.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.