Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside the new iPad Air and Retina iPad mini, Apple debuted new Smart Covers and Cases for the devices. Like existing products, the Smart Covers product the device display while Smart Cases wrap around the entire device.

The polyurethane Smart Covers will retail for $39 for both the iPad mini and the iPad Air, and the iPad mini version will fit both the first and second-generation tablets, which means existing iPad mini Smart Covers will fit the second-generation Retina devices. The covers will come in yellow, blue, green, black, pink, and Product (RED).

smartcover.jpg
Apple's new Smart Cases feature a dark leather exterior and a microfiber interior and will be available in 6 colors: brown, beige, black, blue, red, and yellow, much like the iPhone 5s. Smart Cases will retail for $79 for the iPad Air and $69 for the iPad mini.

smartcase.jpg
Both the new Smart Cases and the new Smart Covers will be available for order on November 1 from Apple's Online Store. Apple's iPad Air will also launch on November 1, while the Retina iPad mini is expected later in November.

Article Link: Apple's Smart Covers and Smart Cases Updated for New iPads

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
yay.... :rolleyes:

Wish they had let us have the iPad Mini 2 [ retina ] instead starting today....

MyBodyIsReady

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2013
In most "cases," I haven't been a fan of Apple's expensive covers - I usually buy something off Amazon at a fair value. However, the black leather case for the iPad mini actually looks pretty good. I'm gonna have to ponder on this for a bit.

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
Does everyone else get lines down their screen where there's a gap in the panels? It seems like Apple makes great products, but not so great cases for them.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Does everyone else get lines down their screen where there's a gap in the panels? It seems like Apple makes great products, but not so great cases for them.

That is from dust. You need to clean the screen.

As for the topic... I am disappointed to not see a Surface-like touch type cover.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
their last smart cases were horrible. they felt like some chinese knock off and didnt fit the iPad at all and were nearly impossible to open. i gave up after 2 tries of getting it replaced and just got a smart cover instead

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
... too complicated, they have 4 ipads on 3 form factors (mini/rmini, ipad2, ipad air), now they have to keep 3 different types of covers in stock.

dranakin

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2005
$80 for the smart case? Ouch. Unnecessarily upgrading from my new iPad is getting more and more expensive...(I've been using a Kensington BT keyboard cover)

S

syd430

I had a look on the website as well and it seems that there is no longer a leather Smart Cover for the the full size iPad. Truly WTF.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
The Air cover has inherited all three things I was hoping from the Mini version:

- Pure, primary red color (good cause, no less)

- Soft hinge instead of scratchy metal mechanism

- Simple tri-fold resulting in larger, more stable standing footprint

I'm off the fence: this time I'll get the Smart Cover. Red and black! (Errr, space gray.)

(No interest in the Smart Case: what I like about the Cover is how easily I can leave it off 3/4 of the time!)

Battlefield 2

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2013
Why can't I get the leather smart cover anymore? Maybe I don't want a smart case. Actually I don't. Leather Smart cover or nothing at all.

Sy7ygy

Suspended
Nov 16, 2012
Why can't I get the leather smart cover anymore? Maybe I don't want a smart case. Actually I don't. Leather Smart cover or nothing at all.

Agreed; the best combo for me is a Smart Cover + a slip case for all round protection.

The amount of crap that gathers on the rear with ANY 'Cases' totally puts me off.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
And had sharp edges. Hopefully this new version won't dig on so much.

The pix certainly look like the edges have been cleaned up greatly. The sharpness is my only real gripe about the existing case. Fwiw mine fits fine, not loose at all.

Battlefield 2

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2013
Agreed; the best combo for me is a Smart Cover + a slip case for all round protection.

The amount of crap that gathers on the rear with ANY 'Cases' totally puts me off.

Woah! Exactly the same. I have the incase slider for my iPad. Best of both worlds!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.