Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

exit700

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2013
Hi all,

I would like to know some of your opinion for buying new Macbook that was released today. I can't decide between RMBP13 - 2.4 dual core Haswell or RMB15 2.0 quad core.

Im web developer and web designer, so i'm working on daily basis in Photoshop, Illustrator, Sublime Text 2, Virtual box for crossbrowser testing, MAMP Pro, Terminal, Transmit, Chrome, Firefox - those apps i would like to have open all the time that i don't need to open and close them all the time.

As a display i'm using Apple cinema display.

I'm not sure which one would be better for me with the processor speed and performance vs portability. Currently i have Macbook Pro 15, 2008 Late..

Thanks for your help!

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
Hi all,

I would like to know some of your opinion for buying new Macbook that was released today. I can't decide between RMBP13 - 2.4 dual core Haswell or RMB15 2.0 quad core.

Im web developer and web designer, so i'm working on daily basis in Photoshop, Illustrator, Sublime Text 2, Virtual box for crossbrowser testing, MAMP Pro, Terminal, Transmit, Chrome, Firefox - those apps i would like to have open all the time that i don't need to open and close them all the time.

As a display i'm using Apple cinema display.

I'm not sure which one would be better for me with the processor speed and performance vs portability. Currently i have Macbook Pro 15, 2008 Late..

Thanks for your help!

I'm in the same boat as you. Would love what others have to say.

I'm leaning more on the 15". It's not that much bigger, but the quad core + faster graphics will be better. And if 4k screens ever come out, a discrete card will definitely handle it better than Iris ever will.

Not to mention if you ever play an occasional game. I'm also going to get an iPad for the few times I took a laptop when I just wanted to read/browse.

OverpricedJunk

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2013
If your job requires demanding computer use, get the 15". It's not that much more expensive if it increases productivity and improves workflow.

tooobe

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2008
It really depends on two things: need for portability and budget. The 15" only downside over the 13" is portability and the fact that it's more expensive. If you don't need to constantly take it on the road and can afford it then the 15" will handle your workload a lot better. That quadcore is going to make a big difference.

fn9mm

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2014
so what did you get and are you satisfied ?

i'm in the same boat as you and can't decide over the 13 or 15 inch, with or without dedicated video card ...

the MBPr will be hooked to a 27 inh screen 98 % of the time , so screen real estate isn't that important, i'll use it mainly as a desktop replacement

I like to work in split screen (browser to the left and sublime to the right) so i wonder if (for the few times i'll work without an external monitor) the screen of the 13 is big enough for that ...

Last edited:

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
so what did you get and are you satisfied ?

i'm in the same boat as you and can't decide over the 13 or 15 inch, with or without dedicated video card ...

the MBPr will be hooked to a 27 inh screen 98 % of the time , so screen real estate isn't that important, i'll use it mainly as a desktop replacement

I like to work in split screen (browser to the left and sublime to the right) so i wonder if (for the few times i'll work without an external monitor) the screen of the 13 is big enough for that ...

Not sure if you are asking the original poster, but I decided on mac pro + macbook air.. Currently using imac waiting for the shipment of my mac pro.

I used the rmbp15 for a while and I gave it to my wife. It's been about 6 months and both her thunderbolt ports broke from being plugged in/plugged out so many times. They became slightly more loose each time she would plug it in until finally the TB display would only be detected when you put pressure on the port. Eventually, it actually burnt the TB cable (not sure how a loose port would cause this). Glad I had apple care, they pretty much replaced the whole laptop. Afterwards, I'm ordering my wife an iMac.

Also, the always on is extremely nice. I don't have to find my laptop, or do anything to quickly get on a chat, skype call, or just email checking/writing. Just move mouse, instant on. Syncing isn't an issue anymore either, since iCloud, dropbox, etc are so prevalent. Most people share files that way anyway. The power is nice too. I do use remote desktop a lot, so the laptop only has really light weight stuff on it.

Another interesting thing, is I realized how little I actually use the laptop. The desktop is faster, stronger, more comfortable. And the iPad is perfect for everything else. When I used the 15rmbp I felt like I was taking the long way route to just have a desktop. I was annoyed by the fans when I did hard-core processing.

Anyway I know I'm not the op but thought I'd give my experience anyway.

fn9mm

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2014
i was asking the OP but thanks anyway for your info,
think I'll take the extra warranty ...
The Mac Pro is way out of my league for now, but who knows ... in the future ...

All advice still welcome ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.