Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gentleman00

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
With Americans still recovering from the economic recession, and many still unemployed, one might expect Apple to keep the price point of iPad Minis at $329 or lower. But profits and greed still dictate over innovation. Very few will buy an Apple Mini for $399. Eventually, Apple will be forced to lower the price of the Mini, especially in this market with so many alternatives to the iPad. And, yes, this is from someone who owns an phone, ipad, imac, and macbook air. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

mtj111

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
It's a little higher than I expected - maybe $369. But considering you're not making any sacrifices in resolution or cpu/gpu power vs the top-end ipad anymore, it's more than worth it to me.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Everyone complained about no retina display. They get a retina display and complain about the price. You can't get the retina display for the same price as a regular display. If you want improved components, it going to cost more… Plus its now as powerful as a full sized iPad, so you're getting a good deal at 399

The iPad mini is still going to be sold at $299 anyway, why complain about it?

Over time components lower in price as they become outdated, the innovation of technology is increasing exponentially. Screens fall into this category and lower in price with time. Eventually they got down to where they can make a switch at no change in retail cost. Rumors are they rushed the retina mini because of the increased competition with the nexus release (hence why they aren't available until "later this month") . Trying to fit the same resolution of the full size iPad into a smaller screen will be expensive if done at the wrong time. If the mini with retina were released next year as originally planned, I would bet heavily that the price would be little to no different than the original ($329).

In general they are able to keep the same price tag because new components now cost the same as the old ones did a year ago. Why did the new retina MacBooks suddenly drop in price by $200? They have significant improvements, the only thing not changing is the screen, signifying it is probable that they are now cheaper to make than a year ago. And the retina screens were the primary reason for the major price jump from the cMBP.

What makes you think all the new gen products have to cost the same as the old one did? Components don't depreciate at the same rate over the same time. Read the report that the new retina minis will be scarce until 2014? Do you know why? they weren't ready to release the retina mini this year, it was a rushed addition because of market competition, and the extra cost apple is paying they will pass along to you. Also for the first time the iPad mini has the same internals as the current gen iPhone.

Apple is in the business to make money, do you think they are selling the first gen iPad mini's at $300 and taking a loss? As components become cheaper to produce, they can reduce the price. will they? not always, but because the screens and components of the first gen iPad mini are cheaper to produce, they can reduce the retail price without affecting their profit margins.

The price of the new retina MacBooks went down, so does that mean they put in worse components than before? Did the price of the same retina screen go change after a year of production?

Learn how business work and the price hike would make sense to you. They can't keep prices the same "just because," whether you think the components and additions are "worth" it or not doesn't affect the actual cost to make them, nor apple's margins...

if raw material and components increases what happens? Apple's profit margins are set at a certain percentage. If any costs increase and profit margins remain constant, what must happen? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Everyone complained about no retina display. They get a retina display and complain about the price. You can't get the retina display for the same price as a regular display. If you want improved components, it going to cost more… Plus its now as powerful as a full sized iPad, so you're getting a good deal at 399

^^^This plus the fact that you get the free iLife and iWork apps makes up for the difference.

xero9

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2006
Seems OP and I are on our own here, but I have to agree. Also, being in Canada, now it's $419 here for the base model.

I guess I'll be sticking with my iPad 1 still. Would have been nice to get an LTE one while I'm at it, but will likely pass again. Rather spend my money on a new iPhone.

gentleman00

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
I am not complaining. Just stating the obvious. Buyers will either gravitate towards the Mini at $299 or the iPad Air at $499.

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
With Americans still recovering from the economic recession, and many still unemployed, one might expect Apple to keep the price point of iPad Minis at $329 or lower. But profits and greed still dictate over innovation. Very few will buy an Apple Mini for $399. Eventually, Apple will be forced to lower the price of the Mini, especially in this market with so many alternatives to the iPad. And, yes, this is from someone who owns an phone, ipad, imac, and macbook air. :rolleyes:

The unemployed should not be purchasing luxury consumer items. Apple is not a social service.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I am not complaining. Just stating the obvious. Buyers will either gravitate towards the Mini at $299 or the iPad Air at $499.

There is nothing obvious about it. These are luxury items and not something that is absolutely required. If one can't afford them then one shouldn't complain about the pricing. That is a general comment and not directed specifically to you.

gentleman00

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
The unemployed should not be purchasing luxury consumer items. Apple is not a social service.

LOL. That's not how Henry Ford made his millions. Again, I am not complaining. The iPad Mini will only attract a small share of the market, which is why Apple is still offering the $299 Mini. Only time will tell.

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010

That is just too much money for a mini. I am more disappointed in $399 for the ipad 2 then anything. Mini should be 250 for the old one. $329 for retina but people will buy them regardless because Apple products cost a premium. I just don't think 2 kindle fire HDs are still less expensive then 1 Ipad mini haha

srsub3

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2013
NYC
this price is disappointing. to be honest I am disappointed to the whole keynote... entry price lowered... but to be honest, there is a marked loss in quality quantity. iPad air is almost ok, even if I think that the 5MP camera is totally crap nowadays. they should have put iphone 5 camera. Lack of touch id is questionable, but i can accept, but, sorry, old Camera is way too much... we are talking about a 2013 model with a camera introduced in 2010!!!!! Ipad mini is to disappointing... ok for processor, ok for screen, but 399? there is no differentiation between big and small iPad now... at least they should have dropped 16gb iPad air ... giving a memory premium for the same price

Fissure

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010

The complaint is historically, actually never, has Apple charged "more" money for a Retina display on their iPads. The next generation full sized iPad just got it and pricing stayed the same. This is the first time Apple has increased the price of a new model iPad from where it was before. So yes Apple has done something different here. Heck, even the iPhones have never been more expensive than the past years model, price has always been the same but with better CPU's, Camera's, Screens etc. This is a major move on Apple's part.

herdnerfer

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2011
Saint louis, MO
options

You can't have it both ways, either you got a Retina mini with a good processor at an increased price, or a lesser non-retina mini at a cheaper price. Apple seems to have found a way to let people have it both ways.

There is now a cheaper $299 option & a higher end model for people who don't mind spending more.

The iPad Mini is not exactly the same as the full sized iPad, if they had kept it at $329, they would im sure cut very deep into profit margins & have cannablized sales of the full sized ipad. (which even at 399 i still think they will do.)

The only question mark in my book is the iPad 2 at $399, anyone who buys that peice of crap should be instantly shot to better humanity as a whole.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
To be honest I'm not sure why people in the US are complaining considering how much more we hBe to pay for items here in the UK and other parts of the world.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
The complaint is historically, actually never, has Apple charged "more" money for a Retina display on their iPads. The next generation full sized iPad just got it and pricing stayed the same. This is the first time Apple has increased the price of a new model iPad from where it was before. So yes Apple has done something different here. Heck, even the iPhones have never been more expensive than the past years model, price has always been the same but with better CPU's, Camera's, Screens etc. This is a major move on Apple's part.

Over time components lower in price as they become outdated, the innovation of technology is increasing exponentially. Screens fall into this category and lower in price with time. Eventually they got down to where they can make a switch at no change in retail cost. Rumors are they rushed the retina mini because of the increased competition with the nexus release (hence why they aren't available until "later this month") . Trying to fit the same resolution of the full size iPad into a smaller screen will be expensive if done at the wrong time. If the mini with retina were released next year as originally planned, I would bet heavily that the price would be little to no different than the original ($329).

In general they are able to keep the same price tag because new components now cost the same as the old ones did a year ago. Why did the new retina MacBooks suddenly drop in price by $200? They have significant improvements, the only thing not changing is the screen, signifying it is probable that they are now cheaper to make than a year ago. And the retina screens were the primary reason for the major price jump from the cMBP.

Last edited:

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
If you can't afford the iPad Mini with Retina Display at $399, buy the iPad Mini at $299. I'm not sure what the recession, which ended a couple of years ago, has to do with anything. Apple released the first iPad in early 2010 while the economy was literally still in recession. Apple still produced iPhones during that time as well.

Are you going to complain about the Mac Pro costing $2,999? Hint: It's not for everyone.

EthanNixon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
New Jersey
Millions of people will buy the iPad Mini with Retina, just like millions of people buy every one of their products.

$100 is an easy up sell to an average consumer...

(I'm one of those millions of people who will buy the iPad Mini with Retina)

gentleman00

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
If you can't afford the iPad Mini with Retina Display at $399, buy the iPad Mini at $299. I'm not sure what the recession, which ended a couple of years ago, has to do with anything. Apple released the first iPad in early 2010 while the economy was literally still in recession. Apple still produced iPhones during that time as well.

Are you going to complain about the Mac Pro costing $2,999? Hint: It's not for everyone.

Having a debate over price point of a device is not the same as complaining about. I can afford a Mini if I decide to buy one.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.

The recession hasn't ended and of anything its worse then it was when it started in late 2008.

Fissure

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010

I understand this, I'm just merely stating Apple has never done this before, increase the base price. Most people won't rationalize "timing" and how it relates to component pricing. They'll just think, wow 329 to 399, the full size iPad or even iPhone has never had a price increase as a result of Retina or never Apple CPU's.

Besides "retina" display-like screens have been out and available on other mini tablets for awhile now, I can't imagine that component price being that much more now. It's all business I understand, Apple's gotta have its 40% hardware margins to make the street happy.

Personally I'm not terribly upset about this, heck I'll be getting a retina mini as soon as I can, I wear my current mini out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.