Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

S A

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
Midlands, UK
UK Thread for new iPad Air and iPad mini with Retina

iPad Air:
Finish: Space Grey / Silver
Capacity: 16GB/ 32GB / 64GB / 128GB
WiFi: £399 / £479 / £559 / £639
WiFi + Cellular: £499 / £579 / £659 / £739

Available on 1st November.

iPad mini with Retina:
Finish: Space Grey / Silver
Capacity: 16GB/ 32GB / 64GB / 128GB
WiFi: £319 / £399 / £479 / £559
WiFi + Cellular: £419 / £499 / £579 / £659

Hopefully we can all us UK buyers can use this thread to discuss these devices and which retailers we can get them from, as I would imagine stores like Argos, PCWorld/Currys, KRCS etc would also be stocking :)

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Good idea. I'm hoping to get mine from Apple either online or in one of their stores like almost all the Apple devices I have purchased in the past. I'll be ordering mine at midnight on the 1st using the App Store app like I did for my iPhone 5S. Then depending on the wait of I can get it earlier from an Apple store I will cancel my online order.

I'm hoping to get a white/silver iPad Air 128GB Wi-Fi plus cellular model.

MLAM

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2011
United Kingdom
I wonder if Tesco supermarket will have them, club card points come in Handy.

I'll either try Tesco locally and perhaps order one from Apple online.

John Lewis is also good as they give a 2 year warranty.

MisterBigMack

macrumors regular
May 23, 2012
This will be my first iPad so unsure about size and which one really....and to be honest colour as well!

Both with the same specs and both retina now, I think this might have me have to pop into my local krcs and try them out....

I only really have a budget of £500 so it's either the 32gb iPad air or the 64gb mini...

Decisions decisions

THFourteen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
London
I'm in for my yearly update!

Think ill to for the 64GB mini with LTE. HOwever I am impressed with the new ipad air. Looks amazing.

Will be checking the website everyday for release date :-(

Also imagine LTE minis will be even later.

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
I think I need to see and feel both new iPads, before choosing.

Before the event, I was set for the new Mini.. but now am thinking the Air..

edit.. and now I've read a few other threads, I'm back to thinking the mini is best!

Maxinuk

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2011
You definitely need to hold them both - Apple have mixed things up now and with only £80 between them and the same quality screen and thinner profile size and weight and feel in the hand is everything.

When the Mini came out by far the most compelling thing was the weight for me - I tend to hold my iPad when using it rather than resting it on something and picking the original Ipad behemoth up in comparison to the Mini they are chalk and cheese in terms of weight, bulk and consequent fatigue after a while. The new one being much lighter but still more compact and thinner will be tempting. But the proof will be in the Apple shop and side by side comparison especially as the Mini has got thicker/heavier. Similarly the original Mini display was very disappointing for me being non-Retina.

Whatever, I will try them in the Apple store and then purchase online at John Lewis with a 2 yr warranty and no fuss returns via UK 'distance selling' regs which give you so much more consumer rights than buying 'face to face'.

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
Yup.

Decided. Will see and feel them both in the Apple store before choosing.

[And I'm less inclined to online order the ipad at the moment of release, after the experience with the online ordering of the iPhone 5s! No point rushing, if it'll take a couple of weeks to get here.. may as well go in store to choose, and maybe the store will have stock anyway..]

I8P'CS

Suspended
Jul 29, 2010
Hi guys,

Anyone know what time we will be able to place orders online? Will it be 12am midnight UK? or 8am UK?

dlondon

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2013
Bit disappointed that neither of the new iPad models have TouchID. For me, using an iPad for work, people tend to look over when I'm using my iPad and I'm far more likely to leave my iPad unattended (say in my bag or in my office) than I am my phone. I'll be getting an iPad but I have a feeling Apple will release a minor update sooner than a year - that will include TouchID.

My second disappointment is that the Mini has shot up by £50 which has made the Air look like a better contender. The Mini is the perfect size for carrying around at work but £319 (starting point) seems steep. Plus another £100 just to have mobile coverage - does it really cost that much to put a mobile chip in the device?

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
As a mini owner I was hell-bent on getting the new retina mini. However, after drawing out the dimensions of the iPad Air on a piece of paper, I'm now in two minds.

I may get the Air and compare size/weight to my existing mini, and if not happy then return it within 14 days and get the new mini.

dlondon

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2013
Anyone know when the new iPads will be available to try out in the Apple Stores?

Apple don't usually have the items on display until officially launched. They've removed the current 'new' iPad from their online store. I can't imagine they'd do that in store though as that would just leave the iPad 2 and the iPad Mini for sale for the next week or so.

merrickdrfc

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
Doncaster / Berlin
Probably going to try getting an iPad Air from KRCS on day 1. Was dead set on a mini retina, but given the weight and dimension improvements, I'm more persuaded to go with the bigger display now

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
I'll be getting the 16GB WiFi iPad Air

Just not sure on colour.

Love my white iPhone, but that Space Gray looks tempting...

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
I'm planning getting a 64 GB space grey Wifi only. Unsure of whether it'll be a Mini Retina or an Air, though, but I'm leaning towards the Air. Either way, I've got a Sainsburys £100 gift card to use, so I'll be waiting on them.

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
As a mini owner I was hell-bent on getting the new retina mini. However, after drawing out the dimensions of the iPad Air on a piece of paper, I'm now in two minds.

I may get the Air and compare size/weight to my existing mini, and if not happy then return it within 14 days and get the new mini.

Do you know for certain that Apple retail stores will still have their 14 days 'open box' policy for the new iPads?

It's nice to be able to try them out for a week or so then return them no questions asked if you decide not to keep. I beleive no other retailer does that.

Tim7

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2009
Gravesend, Kent, UK
I will be upgrading from iPad 3 to iPad Air 32GB. What are my chances of being able to go into Bluewater store on launch day and buy one? Will I need to queue from early in the morning?

zombierunner

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
UK
Guys, does anyone know if both the new iPads have the same ram and how much ram exactly. Can't help but think the airs probably got more ram than the rMini .. Hoping they both have same

Looking to get 32gb retina ipad mini cellular probably from a 4g network provider

THFourteen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
London
Nope, nobody knows what the RAM is at the moment.

We aren't even sure that the A7 chips in the air/mini/iphone are all clocked at the same speed.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
I'd assume delivery on the Monday after release, or very shortly thereafter.

I hope you are right.

If it's like the iPhone 5s launch however, the first online orders won't arrive till Mid November at the earliest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.