Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iwork.jpg
Some users with legacy versions of iLife and iWork that were not purchased through the Mac App Store are having difficulties upgrading to the new versions released earlier today, according to Macworld.

Users who own iWork '09 or iLife '11 are supposed to receive the latest versions of both those app suites for free through the Mac App Store, but some are having difficulties.
Some users (including yours truly) are reporting issues where the Mac App Store doesn't recognize their copies; when they click on an iLife or iWork app's price, they receive the following alert: "[App] is already installed and was not purchased from the Mac App Store. Do you want to buy [app]?" Macworld spoke with an Apple spokesperson who noted that there's currently an issue with some legacy customers, and the company is working on a fix.
Users who do not yet own iLife '11 or iWork '09 can purchase them from the Mac App Store. The iLife apps are $14.99 each, while the iWork suite is $19.99 per app.

Update: Apple appears to have updated its systems to resolve this issue.

iPhoto for Mac - [Mac App Store]
iMovie for Mac - [Mac App Store]
GarageBand for Mac - [Mac App Store]

Pages for Mac - [Mac App Store]
Numbers for Mac - [Mac App Store]
Keynote for Mac [Mac App Store]

Article Link: Some Users With Older Copies of iLife and iWork Having Difficulties Upgrading to New Versions [Updated]

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
I don't think there's anything that needs to be fixed.

If you have redeemed/bought iLife/iWork through the Mac App Store, you can update. If you haven't, you can't.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Yeah mine just keep saying waiting. But I only have iLife on a Mid-2012 Retina Baby.

Khryz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2007
I suppose I'll wait a few days and see what happens before I pull the trigger and re-purchase iLife '11 apps from the MAS.

Worst comes to worst, I pay for them again this weekend. Best case, they "fix" this allow us to upgrade for free.

njn007

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Southeastern PA, USA
Maybe all of the people on Apple's discussion site will read this article. Although I am one of the people in this situation, I am by no means freaking out about it (although a word of caution: don't edit documents on iWork on iOS or iCloud as it'll prevent you from using that file in your old OS X version!).

I'm sure a solution will be found by this time tomorrow.

Killa Aaron

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2011
Chicago

If you have redeemed/bought iLife/iWork through the Mac App Store, you can update. If you haven't, you can't.

iLife has been removed from my purchase list on my account so i can't even upgrade if i wanted to and i bought a 2011 iMac that came with it.

varunsanthanam

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2007
California

Not true. Apple is offering the update to everyone who purchased iLife / iWork, even if outside the MAS. I bought iLife 11, yet the App Store prompted me to 'accept' licenses from the purchase page. However, not so with iWork yet :(

See this article for more information:
http://www.macworld.com/article/2056159/what-you-need-to-know-about-apples-free-apps-policy.html

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts

So even though I bought iWork 09 on a DVD back in 2010, I shouldn't get the new versions, and instead should simply buy it again? Should I throw out my iLife 11 install DVD that I bought, remove the apps, and pay $14 each for them again?

See what the issue is? This is what the article is about. :)

tdgrn

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2008
Little Rock, AR
I installed both iLife and iWork from purchased DVD's. In my purchase history I am able to download the newer version of iLife, however iWork is not showing up in my purchase history to download. Hopefully Apple gets this resolved rather quickly.

As for the free ride, the latest version of iWork was from 09, and this is the same version that was available from the Mac App Store. I shouldn't be penalized and have to pay twice, just because I bought something on physical media when it wasn't even available to purchase through (at the time) a nonexistent Mac App Store.

I guess I will just wait patiently.

cmventi

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2013
Now what?

So what am I supposed to do if I bought Keynote and Pages to do my homework that is due Thursday? Will Apple issue a refund?

photographypro

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
American in Pisa (Italy)
iPhoto playing slideshows in reverse order

Got all the programs for iLife and iWork for free (had the previous versions), and the nice thing is I had iWork on DVD, and before it never updated through the App Store, but now it did.

However, the new iPhoto plays my slideshows from end to beginning!

Anyone else with this issue?

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA

Do you think your solution is reasonable? What's the logic for punishing people who purchased their copies a different way than (presumably) you did?

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
So even though I bought iWork 09 on a DVD back in 2010, I shouldn't get the new versions, and instead should simply buy it again? Should I throw out my iLife 11 install DVD that I bought, remove the apps, and pay $14 each for them again?

Yes. These are new versions, so you would pay for them again if you haven't redeemed them from the Mac App Store in the past.

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2013
Got all the programs for iLife and iWork for free (had the previous versions), and the nice thing is I had iWork on DVD, and before it never updated through the App Store, but now it did.

However, the new iPhoto plays my slideshows from end to beginning!

Anyone else with this issue?

Do you mean that the updated apps are then associated with your Apple ID throughout the Mac App Store? 'Cause I have iWork and it's not being associated with my account. :(

arvacker

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2011
When I opened pages, it told me there was an update available, i clicked update and it then proceeded to update the apps.
I installed the apps from an iWork '09 disk, so nobody should worry, everyone who has iWork now, will get the updates. (The apps however will not be linked to your Apple ID nor will they turn up in your purchase history in the Mac App Store)

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I went ahead and updated them. I was in the same boat and I feel that for the amount I use the programs $60 is a small price to pay. I planned on paying to upgrade to Mavericks and considering what MS Office costs, $60 is a small price to pay.

Since I did get the message that the older apps were already on my computer, and would I like to purchase the app, apple already knew I had the app, maybe they have a system where thy won't charge for it. Time will tell in a few days. If I receive that email receipt from Apple or not telling me they charged me $75 (I also bought iPhoto under the same situation) or they charged me nothing. In any case it's still cheaper than anything on Windows or Android.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.