Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Oct 22, 2013, 09:15 PM   #1
edtorious
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to edtorious Send a message via Yahoo to edtorious
Exclamation iOS 7.0.3 update made Straight Talk sim working without APN?

So after the update, I removed the APN profile I downloaded and installed from unlock it.co.nz site and reset network settings. After the reboot all of a sudden I noticed that even without an APN settings setup or installed, I get a cellular signal!

I noticed also the carrier symbol Home has changed to TFW. I got LTE, iMessage, MMS and even FaceTime! I still don't have visual voicemail though but then I've been having trouble with it since the first iOS 7 update. I got a iPhone 5s Verizon using the new LTE Straight Talk sim. How could this be?

"Excellence I try to achieve, Perfection is 's business..."
edtorious is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2013, 09:38 PM   #2
roflc0pter
macrumors member

I call it a Carrier Update
roflc0pter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2013, 09:47 PM   #3
jackwills
macrumors regular

u didnt get LTE before the 7.0.3 update? but yes afterwards?
Old Oct 22, 2013, 10:03 PM   #4
ajt1995
macrumors 6502

Can you guys tell me a ballpark estimate on the speeds I'll get after 2.5 GB? I just started with ST a few days ago.
ajt1995 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2013, 01:59 AM   #5
Carlanga
macrumors 603

You always had cellular signal to make calls. APN has to do with data.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 02:06 AM   #6
edtorious
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to edtorious Send a message via Yahoo to edtorious
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwills View Post
u didnt get LTE before the 7.0.3 update? but yes afterwards?
I get LTE before and after.

"Excellence I try to achieve, Perfection is 's business..."
edtorious is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2013, 08:41 AM   #7
scotrinaf
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by edtorious View Post
So after the update, I removed the APN profile I downloaded and installed from unlock it.co.nz site and reset network settings. After the reboot all of a sudden I noticed that even without an APN settings setup or installed, I get a cellular signal!

I noticed also the carrier symbol Home has changed to TFW. I got LTE, iMessage, MMS and even FaceTime! I still don't have visual voicemail though but then I've been having trouble with it since the first iOS 7 update. I got a iPhone 5s Verizon using the new LTE Straight Talk sim. How could this be?
I haven't verified this with a SIM swap, but as far as I can tell, my phone retained all of it's settings from a prior SIM swap with the 7.0.3 update. I can still send/receive MMS, have LTE, etc... No change as far as I can tell. I'm also using the new LTE ST SIM card.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 08:43 AM   #8
nfl46
macrumors 601

I noticed that as well, instead of saying "Home" it says "TFW". I am using a STE AT&T LTE sim card. Also, when I updated iTunes, I got a message to update the carrier settings.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 11:16 AM   #9
markie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotrinaf View Post
I haven't verified this with a SIM swap, but as far as I can tell, my phone retained all of it's settings from a prior SIM swap with the 7.0.3 update. I can still send/receive MMS, have LTE, etc... No change as far as I can tell. I'm also using the new LTE ST SIM card.
No, it didn't. The new carrier update includes the same setting you used before.
markie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2013, 11:44 AM   #10
Djlild7hina
macrumors 6502a

just deleted my apn from unlock.it.co and works like a charm also like that it changed from HOME to TFW. saves me money on buying a t-mobile sim to get MMS working
Djlild7hina is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:16 AM   #11
MissGbf
macrumors newbie

I'm so bummed! I did the update and my data nor MMS are working. I was looking for the APN profile to remove it, but it was gone. I connected to WIFI and installed the APN profile again and the internet will work but not MMS.
MissGbf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:48 AM   #12
scotrinaf
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissGbf View Post
I'm so bummed! I did the update and my data nor MMS are working. I was looking for the APN profile to remove it, but it was gone. I connected to WIFI and installed the APN profile again and the internet will work but not MMS.
If you have the old SIM card, spend $6.99 and order the new one from Straight Talk.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 05:32 PM   #13
suneeboy
macrumors newbie

Same here. I just updated to 7.0.3 and now my carrier is TFW. I used the SIM Swap on my AT&T iPhone to get MMS working, and after a restart it still works.

Also in Settings under "Phone" it no longer says AT&T Services. It now says TFW Services.

Very interesting. I'm just glad it works.
suneeboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2013, 04:48 PM   #14
rumplestiltskin
macrumors regular

TFW now...and MMS

I did not do a SIM swap. I did nothing in the way of a hack. My iPhone 4s, with the new ST micro-SIM I bought a few weeks ago (the one that allegedly supports LTE) to replace the original micro-SIM I bought over a year ago to get into ST's "BYOD" service, now supports MMS. I tested this by sending a picture to my daughter (who does not have an iPhone and is on T-Mobile). She received it and then MMS'd me a photo which I recevied. I should note the message color is green which indicates this communication was -not- using iMessage (which would be blue).

I'll note two other things: This phone is still locked (it was a gift from a friend but isn't eligible for unlocking until next month). The carrier ID at the top of the screen shows TFW but used to show HOME. I don't know exactly when TFW began to show up but probably after the latest 7.0.3(?) iOS update.

I tested the MMS this morning and, sure enough, it works fine. Nice upgrade! But was it Apple who did this or did ST finally figure out there were many P.O.'d customers who wanted this service?
rumplestiltskin is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2013, 06:56 PM   #15
TyShawn
macrumors regular

Just want to verify does the LTE sim work on an IPhone 4? Also will those apn settings work for the same device? I am currently on H2O service and want to change to Straight talk. MY hope is that I can and without jail-breaking I can have data, text, and mms.
TyShawn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2013, 11:47 PM   #16
mnrmillwood
macrumors newbie

Lost the ability to 'Find my iPhone' in a no wifi area!?!

I have an iphone 4, with IOS 7. When I updated to the most recent 7.0.4, a couple of (negative) things happened. First, I can no longer locate my phone (using the 'Find My iPhone' service) UNLESS I am connected to WiFi. If not, it either says offline or just gives the last location/time (when it was connected to wifi). Also, under Settings, Cellular, "Use Cellular Data For" category, 'Find iPhone' is no longer showing! It had been there, and DID work using cellular data only. FRUSTRATING! How do I get 'Find iPhone' back under the "Use Cellular Data For" category?? Secondly, since the same update, I am also having trouble getting texts/imessages from my husband's iPhone 5. Now THIS can be very frustrating, especially when both of the above problems exist. He probably thinks I'm turning my phone off or something (:-)), but I'M NOT. Can anyone help me resolve these issues??? By the way, under the Settings, General, Profile (APN Carrier Settings) I had been using one from www.unlockit.co.nz since June 19, 2013, and have NEVER had these issues (until the recent iOS update). Thanks for ANY remedies you can provide!
mnrmillwood is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2013, 12:47 AM   #17
mnrmillwood
macrumors newbie

Where did MY Reply (with questions) go??

Earlier, I posted a rather long reply in this thread. Now, I logged back in and it's gone. What happened??? Thanks!

(NEVERMIND, when it refreshed it was here! :-).
mnrmillwood is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2013, 02:32 AM   #18
k47421
macrumors newbie

carrier setting reversed

I updated my iPhone 5 yesterday and was really happy! Today my phone spontaneously rebooted and now carrier name is back to HOME and when I check carrier in settings it says ATT again.

I really don't care if Im back to square one, Ive been using ST for years with iPhones 3gs, 4, 4s and now 5. BUT, my problem is that now, I have internet on 4g, but intermittently I do not have internet when connected to wifi. To get it to reconnect I have to reboot my phone.

Any input helpful

Kay
k47421 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2013, 03:31 AM   #19
chestvrg
macrumors 6502a

My wife has straight talk, they changed their APN, if you go to the "unlockit" website there is now an option of "new" and "old" straight talk APN settings. My wife's iPhone 4 is still on iOS6 and suddenly stopped working too, I had to update to the new APN settings from ST.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 06:35 AM   #20
macrumorschamp
macrumors member

No one needs to use Unlockit profiles any longer if you have any iPhone and Straight Talk.

Remove the Unlockit Straight Talk Profile from Settings, General, Profiles, then Reset All Network Settings from Settings, General, Reset.

When your phone restarts, you should have working text, mms, and cell with the updated carrier bundle (just connect to wifi and/or connect to iTunes and check for updates) to make sure you've gotten the updated carrier bundle. You don't need to putz around with sim swap tricks or edit plist files and so on.

Works great - oh and I had them hard reset my voicemail and I have visual voicemail now.

Also get them to ship you a new sim replacement that is LTE compatible if you don't have one. They mailed me a nano sim and it works great and I get LTE speeds now! But watch and don't go over 2.5 gigs monthly - get a data monitor and stay on wifi wherever possible.
macrumorschamp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2013, 08:02 AM   #21
chestvrg
macrumors 6502a

iOS 7.0.3 update made Straight Talk sim working without APN?

You mean straight talk now has it's own carrier setting plist profile? I taught it was only for the CDMA version of iPhones they sold at Walmart. Is it for the GSM version as wl? And visual voicemail works. Wow, just wow.

I have to check wife's iPhone 4 on ST, I have not connected it to iTunes like for many months. Maybe that is what I need to do to get the update.

I have to come back to ST.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:51 AM   #22
aandrews220
macrumors newbie

I am looking into buying a verizon iphone 5c. If I put my nee lte straight talk sim n the phone will I have lte data speeds or will I have edge data speeds. Thanks for any help in this matter
aandrews220 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone