Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taran420

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Hey guys

So I will be a first time iPad buyer, going to get the air.

I love the smart cover design and was wondering which manufacturers makes cases that cover the back and the front opens up like the smart cover?

thank you

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Thanks!
For $5 I'll give it a try.
At least I'll have something to protect my Air while I'm shopping for a better case.
:D

Amazon also has some Smart Case clones by both KHOMO and Photive but they aren't a penny.

Link? I searched and couldnt find anything but old cases for previous gen iPads

punkassjim

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2007
San Francisco, CA
how is that a penny?

It's not a completed product yet. Won't be available until (they say) November 7. Apple hadn't even posted their device schematics for case manufacturers until late yesterday.

Similar to most cheap case manufacturers, they over-charge for shipping and under-charge for the product, high-volume-low-profit. I'd imagine once they ramp up production, the price will go up as well. But the quality will be low, it'll smell like industrial chemicals, the magnets may be poorly aligned, and it'll likely start falling apart after a couple months.

Eckscaliber

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2012
I bought the one for a penny. I had a case just like that on my iPad 3 and I liked it. I want to have the Air covered right out of the box. I didn't want to spend $30+ for a case in store, that I know I wouldn't be keeping. I also bought 2 screen protectors for half the price 1 would be in store.

Anyway, I ended up spending $15 for full protection, instead of a minimum of $50 in store.

Thanks for the link to that ¢ase.

ref26

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
I preordered both the Poetic Air and Mini cases from Amazon because I wasn't sure which I was going to get and I figured I could cancel one of them before they ship, but of course they both just shipped :-/ oh well they were cheap at least!

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
It's not a completed product yet. Won't be available until (they say) November 7. Apple hadn't even posted their device schematics for case manufacturers until late yesterday.

The iPad mini case might be a pre-order but the iPad Air case is in-stock and was actually delivered yesterday.
Unfortunately it was delivered to my work and I'm at home so I can't comment on the quality but it's definitely a completed product.
;)
And the device schematics match the ones that have been leaked now for months so those that gambled and went into production early are now reaping the benefits of being first out the gate.

Mjsavage

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2013
Atlanta GA
Got my Poetic case today. It look like very solid build. Has the 2 mic and speaker grill at bottom. Has smooth felt inside. Looks very good especially for $5.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    845.2 KB · Views: 215

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Got my Poetic case today. It look like very solid build. Has the 2 mic and speaker grill at bottom. Has smooth felt inside. Looks very good especially for $5.

Is the logo really chromed?
And are there magnets in the lid to keep it folded into position?

Mjsavage

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2013
Atlanta GA
Is the logo really chromed?
And are there magnets in the lid to keep it folded into position?

Yes the logo is like a chrome looking and yes as you can see the magnet holds it closed. The cover seems to be leatherish as it picks up from oil on fingers.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 166

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Yes the logo is like a chrome looking and yes as you can see the magnet holds it closed. The cover seems to be leatherish as it picks up from oil on fingers.

Well I could do without the chrome -- too gaudy.
But it sure looks like a bargain at $5.
Maybe I can blacken the logo with a Sharpie or something.

Mjsavage

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2013
Atlanta GA
Its a little blurry can I get another shot of the thickness from this angle? Is it pretty slim and lightweight or has some weight to it? Thanks

It is defiantly slim. Here is a better pic of the thinness. It is a little heavier than the original Smart Cover but not bad at all.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    615.8 KB · Views: 166
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.