Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fanspeed

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
Hi have a mid 2007 running snow leopard. wanted to do the free upgrade to maverick but only have 1 gb of memory. Specs say i need 2gb for upgrade. question is will 2gb really be enough or should I just get two 2gb modules and install them or can I get by just getting another 1gb module. Thanks

jordanm86

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2011
Hi have a mid 2007 running snow leopard. wanted to do the free upgrade to maverick but only have 1 gb of memory. Specs say i need 2gb for upgrade. question is will 2gb really be enough or should I just get two 2gb modules and install them or can I get by just getting another 1gb module. Thanks

From what i've read you can put up to 6GB (24" iMac 2007) - originally it was max of 4GB but they occasionally do firmware updates allowing more.

I'm running a MBP Late 2008 that only supported 4GB but was updated and now mine runs at the max of 8GB.

In terms of upgrading, I think it depends what you use the machine for and how much RAM you are using. Open activity monitor and click on the system memory tab. Look at the 'page outs' and if it is not 0KB you would see speed improvements if you increased your RAM.

I would say put the 2x2GB in... it's relatively cheap.

Personally, i'm a fan of maxing out RAM as I am often using lots of different applications at the same time and occasionally get lazy and don't close files i'm not working on :-/

KaraH

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
DC
Mine will have 24 GB. The full 32 would have been nice but I would have had to replace the 8 they have in there. If I need it I can always do so later.

The minimum needed for mavericks is 2 GB. I would do 4 definitely as applications tend to like memory as well. Maybe even do the full 6 GB while you are at it.

My old machine is a 2007 iMac but I will probably leave it with 10.6. My new machine will have mavericks but some programs like older versions of the system (why I was never able to go to lion on my 2007).

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

Look for the prices for example at http://www.crucial.com (they are not necessarily the cheapest, but they make it very easy to find the correct memory for your Mac). Unless you really, really can't afford it you should upgrade to 4GB. Or more if it's easily affordable. That upgrade alone will most likely make your Mac run a lot faster.

fanspeed

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
update

Thanks for input gang. due to money ( not enough of) i bought another 1gb and was able to install mavericks and it's working fine.My old trusty 2007 iMac is zooming like it was new. Thanks again

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
If you say MaverickS with an 'S' at the end you get more speed out of your machine ;)

fanspeed

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
@ musio

like a coach I had in high school tell me "if you get a haircut you'll be 2 seconds faster and more streamlined"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.