Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattiasvdm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2012
The Netherlands
Hello People,

I'm a Mac administrator and I have an issue with an application called bridgechecker. This is an application we rolled out and now I wan't to add it to our company image. This application is a simple .app wich can be dragged and dropped into the application folder. When I do this under a admin account I can use the application without any problems. But when I login as a new user I see the .app but when I open it nothing happens... When I open the app through terminal I get the "access denied" error. I tried the following:

- fix permissions with disk utility
- change the .app permissions (chmod 777) with the admin account and with the root account.
- install the application on a clean 10.8 machine (not our company image)
- change the permission (chmod 777) on the .app/contents/*
- Apply the /Application permissions to enclosed items
All of this doesn't help...

I can however get the .app to work when I login as a new user and do this:
- drag de application to my desktop and then drag it back to the application folder
- or login as sudo in terminal and open the app
This doesn't solve my problem because these actions need the admin password.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
It sounds like you are placing the .app bundle in the user Applications folder rather than the global Applications folder.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
That would be an easy fix... But no, it's in the global Application folder.

other .app downloaded from the internet working from the global application folder?

I'm no admin, but maybe the machines accounts are not set up to accept apps from anywhere in the settings>security section and instead only from the app store and such?

mattiasvdm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2012
The Netherlands
Security is set to accept all apps.

Don't know what caused the problem but I found a workaround (this workaround only works if you have a custom user template):

Create a new local user and login. Drag the .app to the desktop and back to Applications. Now this .app works for this user. Since I want this app to start on login I added it to the login items of this user. Logout and login as root. Copy the local user's library to the right user template. Now whenever I login as a new user (local or AD) the .app starts on login.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.