Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The.316

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
25100 GR
When I raise or lower the volume, there is a delay on rocker image, and a delay when you hear the volume rocker increased or decreased. Is anyone else having this problem?

Islandarmor

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
I have the same problem !!!
not only that, when watching anything sometimes the sound go off then come back !!!:mad:

Hilyin

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2009
Yep. All sound for me is messed up, it has a lot of static and delay.

MacBook Pro Retina Mid 2012

Last edited:

Appledict

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2012
I have that "delayed sound" problem since Lion. My MBP is 2010 i5 and came with snow leopard. there was no problem with it. But when I upgrade to Lion (ML and mavericks included) this problem crop up suddenly and it never stops.

ncprius

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2007
Volume control at max. Grayed out cannot decrease

Mac mini late 2012 (Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5) updated from 10.8 to 10.9. Now sound volume is stuck at maximum. When trying to move sliders to decrease volume, they are all grayed out (on toolbar, and in Sys Prefs).

Possible FIX: System Prefs > Sound > Output (middle-tab). Select a device for sound output:

Change

to: Name=Internal Speakers Type=Built-in

I don't think the HDMI sound output worked in 10.8 either... was hoping 10.9 would fix it but no go so far.

Last edited:

deviance

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2008
yes!

2013 MBA. Sound will occasionally cut out completely and only come back after a restart :(

Islandarmor

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
I think I found the source for my problem in my macbook retina :D
It's "Boom" app
the delay is gone when I quit the app
Hope this help :)

hanialwani

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2013
Same issue!

Im on a mac mini late 2012 i5. I installed the new apogee duet firewire drivers for os x Mavericks, the sound is okey, but i cant change the volume from my keyboard. The volume button on os x is grayed. This must be a bugg from Apple that they have to fix..

Any ideas? ;)

josh.b

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2013
imac - no problem here

I am not using Boom though. Seems Boom is the culprit, if so you guys will have to stop using it until they update it for mavericks

Hilyin

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2009
Just to update, I was also using boom, and closing it fixed it.

Appreciate the help.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
MacMini 2011, did clean install of Mavericks, sound is just fine. Did not try this out with Mavericks update however.

mrarie8605

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2008
Boom!

I think I found the source for my problem in my macbook retina :D
It's "Boom" app
the delay is gone when I quit the app
Hope this help :)

same problem, and when i quit Boom, the native volume on my macbook pro (newest) works perfectly! Boom needs an update!

hanialwani

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2013
Boom?

I se that everybody seems to get it to work, but not on my mac mini.
I did a clean install of the os x Mavericks.

I cant find any application named BOOM

Why is that? Its driving me crazy!

sunjo

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Iceland
It has been updated to 1.8

I installed it and the only thing I've experienced is two sound skips while watching a movie (I double checked to make sure it wasn't the movie itself) - I saw on another forum that one user had major problems with it but haven't heard anything more.

Those here that enjoy using boom should download the new version and test this themselves - would be good to know what their experience is !

Nikoli25

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2012
yes!

2013 MBA. Sound will occasionally cut out completely and only come back after a restart :(

Same exact problem! After logging in sometimes there will be no sound either through headphones or built in speakers. A restart fixes the problem but its annoying how often I need to do it now.

tvsinesperanto

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Same exact problem! After logging in sometimes there will be no sound either through headphones or built in speakers. A restart fixes the problem but its annoying how often I need to do it now.

Yep, I have this too on my 2013 13" MacBook Air 1.3GHz/120GB/8GB. It only started when I installed Mavericks. Under Lion it was fine.

Seems to occur mainly when I try to use an app that uses sound input or output (eg. Skype, Quicktime player, etc.). Sound will then disappear altogether, even though I can use all the volume sliders, etc. without any problem (they all work fine except I get no audio feedback of course). A restart is the only way I can get the sound to work again.

I certainly hope Apple recognise this & fix it in the next update.

I have no idea whether or not this is related but, just in case it is...

I have also found that, on reboot, after I select the user & enter my password inn the login screen, I get the desktop appearing for a few seconds then it drops back to the login screen again. This may happen 2 or 3 times before it manages to stay logged in.

As I said, no idea whether or not this is connected or if it's a separate problem.
TV

pfjellman

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2010
Oregon
Having the same issue, it is very annoying. I had this issue about 2 years ago with the then new Thunderbolt display, Apple released an update to fix it (which took several weeks...)

Now with Mavericks, the exact same bug is happening. Massive delay when changing volume, and when playing almost any audio, after a few seconds the speakers in the Thunderbolt display start crackling and have severe static and distortion. This is most frustrating, as I thought the bug was fixed, and this is a $1,000 monitor! Hoping for a fix soon, this is really unacceptable...

mathcolo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2008
Boston

I can confirm this same issue on my new rMBP. It usually happens for me after waking from sleep, and a reboot does always fix it, but it's happening more and more often as days pass by :(

vanc

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2007
Same thing on my 2011 Mac Mini. Sound goes out for about 10 seconds, then comes back. Found that when I was listening to my company's all hands meeting. Though it was the meeting software issue.

drb5

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2011
UK
Strangely, since updating to Mavericks, I get absolutely no sound from Pottermore.

Tried lot's of things trying to fix it, but no success so far.

jameslmoser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I don't know what Boom is but I have delayed mail and messages sound notification all the time. Never had this problem before. I'll get an email, then halfway through reading it I get the new mail notification sound. Same thing with sending and receiving messages in imessage. I haven't noticed it with any other apps, though not many of my apps have sound notifications. iTunes has no delay, and I never "loose" sound until a reboot like others seem to be expressing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.