Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mj1108

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 7, 2007
California
http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=251624&p=irol-overview

From the press release:
T-Mobile will offer iPad Air and iPad mini, both with Wi-Fi + Cellular, starting Nov. 1 and iPad mini with Retina display with Wi-Fi + Cellular later in November. When T-Mobile’s iPad line-up hits online and participating retail stores, the company will offer the revolutionary tablets starting at $0 down for qualified customers. And every T-Mobile iPad user will receive 200 MB of free 4G LTE data every month for as long as they own their iPad, even if they aren’t yet a T-Mobile customer.

More...

Customers wanting more data can choose from a range of simple, affordable and flexible options – with no annual service contracts, no data overages and a blazing-fast nationwide 4G LTE network. T-Mobile offers daily, weekly and monthly options for adding 4G LTE data. For T-Mobile voice customers, ‘always-on’ iPad plans start at just $10 a month for unlimited data including 500 MB of 4G LTE data each month. Customers can add even more 4G LTE data in 2 GB increments for just $10 more per month. For customers who would rather have the flexibility of on-demand data, T-Mobile offers daily and weekly passes. Daily passses include unlimited data with 500 MB of 4G LTE data starting at just $5. The weekly passes inlcude unlimited data with 1 GB of 4G LTE data for $10. No caps. No overages. Just simple value.

More...

T-Mobile will offer iPad Air starting at an introductory price of $0 down with 24 equal monthly payments of $26.25* for the 16 GB model; iPad mini with Retina display starting at an introductory price of $0 down with 24 equal monthly payments of $22.08* for the 16 GB model; and iPad mini starting at an introductory price of $0 down with 24 equal monthly payments of $17.91* for the 16 GB model (plus taxes & fees). T-Mobile will also offer a program enabling customers to make their new iPad even more affordable by applying the trade-in value of an eligible tablet, even if that old tablet is Wi-Fi only.

divergirl

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2012
What I don't understand is, can you just get the new iPad without becoming a T-Mobile voice customer, and still be eligible for this? For example could you get the new retina mini from them, and pay ONLY 22.08 (plus taxes and fees) per month with them if you only go with the 200 MB plan? Or do you need to make a voice plan with them as well to be eligible for this?

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
What I don't understand is, can you just get the new iPad without becoming a T-Mobile voice customer, and still be eligible for this? For example could you get the new retina mini from them, and pay ONLY 22.08 (plus taxes and fees) per month with them if you only go with the 200 MB plan? Or do you need to make a voice plan with them as well to be eligible for this?

That sounds way too good to be true. In the long run you are basically paying retail for an LTE iPad but getting free 200 MB of data for life?

magmasilk

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2010
That sounds way too good to be true. In the long run you are basically paying retail for an LTE iPad but getting free 200 MB of data for life?

And interest free loan. Anyone have experience with t-mobile ordering? On launch day do I go to their website at 12pst or do I have to got to a store?

J4B3

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2012
Gamma Quadrant
If that is indeed the case. Who wouldn't buy their iPad from T-Mobile if they are offering a free 0% interest rate loan. If I were to hedge a guess, I would assume that $0 down iPads require some sort of billable monthly service. If not, well, SOLD.

protoxx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2013
From listening to some of the press conference. You can also get on the 200m free or other plans with existing cellular ipads. (ipad2 att, all later)

Wonder if you can still get the additional $10 discount for being a voice customer.

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
The question is I wonder if the ipads will be locked to tmobile due to the monthly payment of the units instead of paying full price at apple and they are unlocked!

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
The question is I wonder if the ipads will be locked to tmobile due to the monthly payment of the units instead of paying full price at apple and they are unlocked!

I thought their whole thing was that all devices are unlocked and contract free. Isn't that what they've been touting for the past couple of months.

Epiphron

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2010

Aren't all ipads unlocked? I remember reading that it's just one model now.

protoxx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2013
From T-Mobile press release

* If you cancel wireless service, remaining balance on device becomes due. Total for for iPad Air 16 GB $630.00, 32 GB $729.99, 64 GB $829.99; total for iPad mini with Retina display 16 GB $529.92, 32 GB $629.91, 64 GB $729.91; total for iPad mini 16 GB $429.99. 0% APR O.A.C. for well-qualified buyers.

trife

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2012
I thought their whole thing was that all devices are unlocked and contract free. Isn't that what they've been touting for the past couple of months.

Their devices are NOT unlocked out of the box, but that isn't what they've been advertising, either.

Their devices ARE contract free, in the traditional use of the word "contract" when talking about cellphones. You don't have a 24-month contract for cell service. But should you utilize their Equipment Installment Plan (EIP) for a device, you're essentially locked into a contract for the phone you're using.

Should you utilize an EIP and decide you want to take your talents elsewhere, your device won't work on another network until it is paid off and unlocked by T-Mobile. So yeah, I'm guessing that their iPads will be locked to their network since that is essentially how they ensure they get paid.

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

No! contract free, but their phones are still locked until you paid it off and have an unlock request!

Aren't all ipads unlocked? I remember reading that it's just one model now.

Yea that is what I thought too until carriers like tmobile start selling them at no cost upfront and with 24 months payment.

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
From T-Mobile press release * If you cancel wireless service, remaining balance on device becomes due. Total for for iPad Air 16 GB $630.00, 32 GB $729.99, 64 GB $829.99; total for iPad mini with Retina display 16 GB $529.92, 32 GB $629.91, 64 GB $729.91; total for iPad mini 16 GB $429.99. 0% APR O.A.C. for well-qualified buyers.

But is the free 200 MB of data considered wireless service?

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
But is the free 200 MB of data considered wireless service?

Yes it is. They are just going to make sure they get their 24 months worth of interest free payments for the iPad itself before you're allowed to jump ship is all, which makes perfect sense.

----------

If I buy a tmobile iPad air from the apple store will I get the 200mb free right out of the box?

Yes you will. It's already listed on Apple's online store right now under the pricing and configurations section.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
I like this - no risk for 200 MB usage on a mini retina. I'm already a tmobile customer, so I'm sure it would be easy to upgrade too if I needed, or just switch to a mobile hotspot if I rather use my phone instead.

I knew there was a reason I dumped AT&T

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
Wonder if T-Mobile will include tethering?

I've got a tmobile phone and you can tether - but you're limited to 500 MB for high speed tethering, then they slow you down...

Since 200 < 500, I'd imagine they'd be OK with it. I think their goal is to encourage more use on whatever device you're using on their network. The quicker you use up 200 MB, the quicker you'll either buy a monthly plan or weekend plan.

Makes a TON of sense to me and seems to be win win

----------

Does anyone know what the trade in value is on an iPad Mini?

romeo0119

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2007
So on nov 1st I can go sign up to be a tmobile customer, and get the iPad for zero down and do 24 months payment? I have execllent credit btw, is that all there is? No extra monthly plan? I'm not a current tmobile customer.

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
So on nov 1st I can go sign up to be a tmobile customer, and get the iPad for zero down and do 24 months payment? I have execllent credit btw, is that all there is? No extra monthly plan? I'm not a current tmobile customer.

Sounds about right, but you will have to see if the ipad you get is not locked to tmobile since you are not buying it full price.

romeo0119

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2007
Who cares if it's lock to tmobile, I was planning to use it mostly on wifi anyway. The added 200mb is sweet though

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
After seeing the price of the Retina mini, I wrote it off, but this changes things. If you consider what you're getting for free, the 200mb, even if you say is worth maybe $5 (no one else is handing out free data plans), you're already looking at a $120 value over two years. So that $630 32gb mini could be thought of as being more like $510, less than a wifi only model after tax. Throw in a dirt cheap interest free payment plan.

This is pretty awesome. I might get a new mini after all.

Last edited:

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle

I don't think they'd unlock the ipad until it's paid off, as they unlocked my iPhone 5 after 60 days (bought outright).

I think they just want the chance at fees - so they want their sim card in there. 200 MB a month for free gives them lots of potential customers. Pretty smart on their part.

----------

Who cares if it's lock to tmobile, I was planning to use it mostly on wifi anyway. The added 200mb is sweet though

Exactly... And I'm sure they're happy to supply service for those who go over - total soft sell, and they lock out the competition because people don't want to replace sim cards...

----------

Spoken like a true North American wireless customer! A simple win-win, no-nonsense service is like a blessing :)

I'm a tmobile customer (about 6 months). They're cheaper and no strings attached. Their negative issue is coverage area...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.