Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KOTULCN

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
Let me start off by explaining that I am booting OS X off an external Thunderbolt SSD (I still have ML installed on internal iMac HDD). I downloaded Mavericks and proceeded to install it on the external drive but upon reboot my login password didn't work. When I put my password in which I know is correct the screen flashes white then returns to login password entry bar. After getting frustrated because I know password was correct I alt+started my computer and used Terminal to reset password to different passwords but ultimately they all resulted in the same result except for when I used a blank password.

With login password set as nothing/blank I was able to double click on my username and gain access to desktop. I went through and changed password back (several times with same result) in settings. At this point I couldn't figure out why I was having this issue so I called AppleCare. Well after running through gamete of their requests I am still left with this issue. I can login and use iMac just fine with no password set but that isn't secure nor what I want.

Any suggestions?

arncalars

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2013
Denmark
Let me start off by explaining that I am booting OS X off an external Thunderbolt SSD (I still have ML installed on internal iMac HDD). I downloaded Mavericks and proceeded to install it on the external drive but upon reboot my login password didn't work. When I put my password in which I know is correct the screen flashes white then returns to login password entry bar. After getting frustrated because I know password was correct I alt+started my computer and used Terminal to reset password to different passwords but ultimately they all resulted in the same result except for when I used a blank password.

With login password set as nothing/blank I was able to double click on my username and gain access to desktop. I went through and changed password back (several times with same result) in settings. At this point I couldn't figure out why I was having this issue so I called AppleCare. Well after running through gamete of their requests I am still left with this issue. I can login and use iMac just fine with no password set but that isn't secure nor what I want.

Any suggestions?

Not that I'm an expert, but doesn't the machine function best if os is installed on intern drive ?

KOTULCN

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
Actually the computer works better when booting off thunderbolt external.

KOTULCN

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
Ok wiped internal drive, installed Mavericks and password works fine. I migrate my info from SSD over and BAM issue all over again. It has to be something in my keychain. How do I delete login keychain?

capuman

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2013
I actually spent 2 hours talking to tech support yesterday.

After i reinstalled Mavericks from recovery nothing changed. I had the same problems.

After 2 PRAM and SMC resets nothing changed.

I still cant login after start up so im still having to leave autologin on. This is really weird because if i put my imac to sleep, when i wake it up i AM able to login!!!!????

So the only time i cant login is if i actually logout and then try to relogin. I found one guy who had the same problem, the exact problem, but he was using a beta version of Mavericks, and this was back in June: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1600029/

I dont think its an issue with the password, since even if i create a new account with a new password it does not work. And as i said, login from sleep does work!

KOTULCN

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
Well after numerous hours spent trying to sort the Mavericks login loop I received word from AppleCare that their engineers had evaluated my logs and determined the culprit was True Suite. I ended up having to restore to a Mountain Lion time machine backup, uninstall the Authentec app then proceed with Mavericks install. Trying to delete or uninstall it from within Mavericks was an utter failure. So much for incompatible apps being moved to folder when upgrading OSX versions! Hopefully the engineers at Apple resolve this and fix it in future Mavericks update!

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5416620?start=45&tstart=0

SantaRosa2.2

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
Somewhere in Florida
Thank you for this. I was wondering why my user switching was not working. I have the authentec fingerprint reader and I was having to restart every time I change users. Otherwise it was just looping back to the login page. My authentec fingerprint dongle was the only thing giving me headaches since the Mavericks install.

Well after numerous hours spent trying to sort the Mavericks login loop I received word from AppleCare that their engineers had evaluated my logs and determined the culprit was True Suite. I ended up having to restore to a Mountain Lion time machine backup, uninstall the Authentec app then proceed with Mavericks install. Trying to delete or uninstall it from within Mavericks was an utter failure. So much for incompatible apps being moved to folder when upgrading OSX versions! Hopefully the engineers at Apple resolve this and fix it in future Mavericks update!

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5416620?start=45&tstart=0

capuman

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2013
Damn i thought it could be that!! I too am using the True Suite for finger scanner as i need it for work.

Problem is the company who made that software no longer exist so fat chance of getting an update!

I cant roll back either because i dont have a time machine copy....ill try and uninstall completely and see if i can fix the problem. Any other finger print scanner available that could work on the imac guys? Preferably with two factor authentication (something that true suite did not do anyways..)

KOTULCN

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
Damn i thought it could be that!! I too am using the True Suite for finger scanner as i need it for work.

Problem is the company who made that software no longer exist so fat chance of getting an update!

I cant roll back either because i dont have a time machine copy....ill try and uninstall completely and see if i can fix the problem. Any other finger print scanner available that could work on the imac guys? Preferably with two factor authentication (something that true suite did not do anyways..)

If you do ANYTHING to uninstall it including using Authentecs uninstaller you will be left with a borked OSX. I tried several different ways and system hung after every attempt. The only way I was able to fix issue was to restore to ML then uninstall TrueSuite then upgrade to mavericks.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
If you do ANYTHING to uninstall it including using Authentecs uninstaller you will be left with a borked OSX. I tried several different ways and system hung after every attempt. The only way I was able to fix issue was to restore to ML then uninstall TrueSuite then upgrade to mavericks.

I always do a new install even though OSX is much better at upgrading than other OSs.

SantaRosa2.2

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
Somewhere in Florida

Yes, this is true. I used the true suite uninstaller on Mavericks and could no longer boot my Mac!!. Had to Reinstall mountain lion from Back up (luckily I kept a time my last time machine backup), then uninstall TrueSuite, then reinstall Mavericks. A real Pain, Finally finished a day later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.