Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eminemdrdre00

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 10, 2008
I upgraded to Mavericks yesterday and was wondering if there's anyway I can downgrade to Mountain Lion? There are some graphic issues on my 2008 iMac and the screen is flickering in Mavericks.

Raunien

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2011
If you purchased ML, then redownload the installer from your app store history. Then make a bootable USB with ML (google for instructions). Then boot by holding option key. Clean install and restore with time machine

senseless

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
I upgraded to Mavericks yesterday and was wondering if there's anyway I can downgrade to Mountain Lion? There are some graphic issues on my 2008 iMac and the screen is flickering in Mavericks.

My 2009 iMac flickery graphic issue was always corrected by putting the computer to sleep and waking it back up. Mavericks will not do the fix, so I have to revert back also. There is something different about the sleep mode.

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
If you purchased ML, then redownload the installer from your app store history. Then make a bootable USB with ML (google for instructions). Then boot by holding option key. Clean install and restore with time machine

What if one's computer came with ML pre-installed? How to get back then?

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
You restore from the clone of your boot volume that you made before you installed Mavericks. /s

Seriously, I would never install a new OS over an old one without making a fresh clone of the boot volume.

Also, seriously, I'm not sure how I would have downgraded to Mountain Lion without it as my Mac mini did come with ML. If I tried Internet Recovery now, I'm not sure what system I'd get.

S

syd430

You restore from the clone of your boot volume that you made before you installed Mavericks. /s

Seriously, I would never install a new OS over an old one without making a fresh clone of the boot volume.

Also, seriously, I'm not sure how I would have downgraded to Mountain Lion without it as my Mac mini did come with ML. If I tried Internet Recovery now, I'm not sure what system I'd get.

Wow, so impressive! I'm so proud of you! Thank you for letting us all know that you made a back up and people like me are screwed and have no way back to ML. Actually you didn't even say that last part (which would of at least been half way helpful), all you did was rant on about your impressive ability to make a back up ahead of time. It was very helpful to the discussion about "how to revert back to ML with no separate purchase and no backup".

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Yes - simply re-install from the back up you made before upgrading to 10.9.

Consider this post deleted.

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
Wow, so impressive! I'm so proud of you! Thank you for letting us all know that you made a back up and people like me are screwed and have no way back to ML. Actually you didn't even say that last part (which would of at least been half way helpful), all you did was rant on about your impressive ability to make a back up ahead of time. It was very helpful to the discussion about "how to revert back to ML with no separate purchase and no backup".

I did say (3rd paragraph) that I had no idea how to downgrade without a backup, because without one I would be in the same boat. (And it was actually an oversight on my part, because now I have no easy way to create a new ML boot volume for testing if I ever so desire.)

But, yes, I do get annoyed reading the same ridiculous questions for three months from folks who do all sorts of irreversible things--like installing Developer Previews!--without backups. As someone who keeps 3 backups (continuous Time Machine plus biweekly rotated block-copy clones), I don't get it.

If you can't stand a bit of friendly mockery, then don't ask how to recover from foolishness in a public forum.

S

syd430

Yes - simply re-install from the back up you made before upgrading to 10.9.

Consider this post deleted.

I didn't make a full OS back up because I already made a back up of the files I needed.

I have a 2012 rMBP that came with ML. All my files are already backed up. I want to downgrade back to the OS that my Macbook came with. If I have to do a fresh install thats fine - my files are already backed up. I just want the OS that came with the computer again.

You can do this with Windows computers that didn't come with a recovery disk. I had do this a few years back, and I was able to get the OS that shipped with my laptop back from the MS website and just reinstalled it as a fresh install.

So I can't ever go back to ML (fresh install or otherwise) without purchasing a copy of ML, even though my 2012 rMBP shipped with ML?

I'm sorry but "if you wan't to keep the original OS that you paid for with your laptop, you have to back up the entire OS otherwise you have to repurchase the OS", is a pretty **** policy.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I didn't make a full OS back up because I already made a back up of the files I needed.

I have a 2012 rMBP that came with ML. All my files are already backed up. I want to downgrade back to the OS that my Macbook came with. If I have to do a fresh install thats fine - my files are already backed up. I just want the OS that came with the computer again.

You can do this with Windows computers that didn't come with a recovery disk. I had do this a few years back, and I was able to get the OS that shipped with my laptop back from the MS website and just reinstalled it as a fresh install.

So I can't ever go back to ML (fresh install or otherwise) without purchasing a copy of ML, even though my 2012 rMBP shipped with ML?

I'm sorry but "if you wan't to keep the original OS that you paid for with your laptop, you have to back up the entire OS otherwise you have to repurchase the OS", is a pretty **** policy.

Before upgrading to any operating system, OSX or windows or Linux etc, it is always advised to back up your current hard disk.

ML costs, what, $20, small chunk of change if you are that desperate.

Sorry if this post sounds harsh but "BACKUP". There will always be a few percentage of machines that upgrades don't go 100%.

If you buy a windows PC you don't get the full DVD of windows...

Eminemdrdre00

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 10, 2008
I get this message when I try to re-download Mountain Lion from the App Store. Unfortunately nothing happens after I click continue :\

ewbwm2D.png

If I signed up to be a Mac developer would I be able to download Mountain Lion from the Dev Center?

Last edited:

NealWhite

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2014
Upgraded To Maverick but need to Downgrade...? iMac early 2008

OK... my situation is that I upgraded to Maverick from Leopard. I failed to remember to back up my Time machine, so there is no backup. Nothing is operating the way it should, and I feel like I am starting from scratch. Can I downgrade to Mountain Lion and everything get restored...?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
OK... my situation is that I upgraded to Maverick from Leopard. I failed to remember to back up my Time machine, so there is no backup. Nothing is operating the way it should, and I feel like I am starting from scratch. Can I downgrade to Mountain Lion and everything get restored...?

Yes. Go to the Apple Store, purchase a download for Mountain Lion.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/D6377Z/A/os-x-mountain-lion

You may also find that you need to have Snow Leopard first (not sure…), but you can also purchase that, which is still available on DVD.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

Mavericks is good, but gets better with enough RAM. Do you have memory in your 2008 iMac maxed out? You can have up to 6GB installed :D

Last edited:

NealWhite

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2014
Yes. Go to the Apple Store, purchase a download for Mountain Lion.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/D6377Z/A/os-x-mountain-lion

You may also find that you need to have Snow Leopard first (not sure…), but you can also purchase that, which is still available on DVD.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

Mavericks is good, but gets better with enough RAM. Do you have memory in your 2008 iMac maxed out? You can have up to 6GB installed :D

Hey thank you so much! Actually I only have 2gb of ram... Where is a good place to buy? Also, I do film and music so mainly the struggle is maverick not working with my programs - final cut, pro-tools, Logic....connecting to my interface and so on. Ultimately, I am trying to find the best resolution to get things running...

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2013
If your Mac came with 10.8 ML preinstalled you can reinstall that os by booting into internet recovery mode http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US which will allow you to install the original shipping version of the os for your particular model. Now in your case you would first need to erase your current volume and create a new one in order to successfully install os x 10.8 since otherwise it won't allow you to do so.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If your Mac came with 10.8 ML preinstalled you can reinstall that os by booting into internet recovery mode …

Both the OP, and later posters in this thread have 2008 iMacs, which would have shipped with much older OS X versions, and would not support internet recovery.

NealWhite

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2014
Ok Thank you for the feed back... will upgrade my ram and look into downgrading to Mountain Lion. It seems to be the best cost effective direction. Last question, do I need to be concerned with the ram not notifying compatibility with Mac computers? The link given earlier was focused on PC's not Macs...?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.